Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

RB22 magazine in a RS22?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DaveInDenver 
#1 ·
I've had the RB22 for a few years and it's a great plinker. Ordered the RS22 and it will be here soon.

Will RB22 mags fit/operate correctly in the RS22? LRHO issue or similar?

Guessing Mossy 702 mags would be fine in the RS22?

#2 ·
Not sure about the RB22 mags at all. If you cross reference the part number on the Rossi site they show a different part number, but they look the same to me except for the follower color.

As for the 702 mags, I've seen hit and miss reports on several brands. I picked up a ProMag for the 702 and it sucks.... not worth the hassle. It seems to be sprung much stiffer, and the make and fit are different. I was going to toy with it but decided not to waste time. I ended up ordering a few more magazines direct from Rossi. They shipped super quick, and were well worth the few extra dollars.

I picked up an RS22 a few months back. No complaints at all. For the price point it's a good shooter, and the only thing really lacking is the trigger. But for the cost, it's surprising it comes with a trigger. With use, it's smoothing out some, and I can live with the travel if the creep and grind go away.

The below thread has some good info on the trigger work, as well as the better take down methods that avoid spring damage.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145721

Really happy with the one I picked up. With a cheap scope it's fun and reasonably accurate. The stock sights seem fine as well, but with indoor shooting even those fiber optic sights won't grab much light.

#3 ·
They mostly work

I have and love both of these rifles. The RB22 magazines fit and function in the RS22 but you lose the LSHO (LRHO) feature. The magazines are identical save for different followers. The RS22 follower (red) protrudes after the last shot to hold the bolt open. The RB22 follower (green) does not protrude.

RB22 magazines used in the RS22 fail to hold the bolt open after last shot and you end up dry firing if you do not count your rounds.

RS22 magazines used in the RB22 prevent closing the bolt after the last round.

I have a mix of RS22 and Mossberg 702 magazines; they are identical and function the same. Mossberg 802 magazines are supposed to fit the RB22 and given my experience with semi-auto magazine interchangability, I am confident this is true.

#4 ·
I have and love both of these rifles. The RB22 magazines fit and function in the RS22 but you lose the LSHO (LRHO) feature. The magazines are identical save for different followers. The RS22 follower (red) protrudes after the last shot to hold the bolt open. The RB22 follower (green) does not protrude.

RB22 magazines used in the RS22 fail to hold the bolt open after last shot and you end up dry firing if you do not count your rounds.

RS22 magazines used in the RB22 prevent closing the bolt after the last round.

I have a mix of RS22 and Mossberg 702 magazines; they are identical and function the same. Mossberg 802 magazines are supposed to fit the RB22 and given my experience with semi-auto magazine interchangability, I am confident this is true.
Just for clarification, are your mags factory or aftermarket? Maybe the issue I had was the Pro Mag quality, since the ones you have interchange.

#5 ·
RB22M (22wmr)

I know this is an older thread, and this isn't strictly relevant, but hopefully it saves someone some trouble: RB22 and RS22 magazines are interchangeable (except for LRHO), but RB22M and RS22M (22wmr versions) cannot be interchanged. RB22M magazines do not fit in the RS22M and vice versa--I found out the hard way...

#6 ·
I know this is an older thread, and this isn't strictly relevant, but hopefully it saves someone some trouble: RB22 and RS22 magazines are interchangeable (except for LRHO), but RB22M and RS22M (22wmr versions) cannot be interchanged. RB22M magazines do not fit in the RS22M and vice versa--I found out the hard way...
More FYI.
The maglula 22 mag loader works with both the RS and RB. With the RS it is perfect/easy. With the RB the ammo needs be laid in at a certain angle (more flat) rather than any thing goes... but easy to fig out and then no prob at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.