Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Grandson's first time.

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jkingrph 
#1 ·
My son and grandson were over from Miss. for Thanksgiving, and all the 8 year old wanted to do was go shooting. He never had, it was his first time ever. Took a bunch of 22's a 22 Horned and my little Marlin 1894cl in 32 20. He shot everything, but his favorite seemed to be m 77/22. As it is the stock is too long, so he had the usual problems, wucking it under his arm and crawling the stock to get to the scope, but at least he was hitting the target at 25 yards. Four hours and I was tired and he wanted to keep going. The first thing when we got home was to as his grandma was if he could go back tomorrow. If he makes it tomorrow I am betting he will want to go back Sat. While we were having a light picnic sandwich, he asked his father how long we had been there and was told about 4 hours. He then commented that it was the best 4 hours of his life.

#6 · (Edited)
Guess he comes by the good taste naturally. We had never been into shotgunning much, and I had gotten a nice old Parker sxs and had my college age son out at the time shooting some clay birds. I had a Win 101 and a couple of others and my son liked the old Parker the best..

Stopped and my son purchased two boxes of Aguila 22LR. 8.47/50. I'm guessing my grandson, and son combined went through a brick and a half, then there was some 9mm 38 special, 22 Hornet and 6.5 Grendel for the weekend. Probably the most expensive weekend I have spent shooting but worth ever cent.

#9 ·
Son called a couple of weeks ago asking what kind to get. He was never that interested in guns growing up, would go with me shooting, but never asked to go. It looks like interest skipped a generation but came back in spades. I clued him into one like he had when he was little, a Daisy single stroke pneumatic BB or pellet. It is already there hidden away for Christmas to have Grandma and Grandpa's name on it.

My son is looking for a good outdoor range in the Jackson, Ms. area where they can go .

I have a 10/22 I built up for the grandson, pending his mother's approval. I used an old stock that I had used to make a folding stock model. Stripped all of the old tinted Ruger finish off and it has a beautiful kind of tiger stripe to the birch. I stained it a dark maple, kind of an amber color and it really pops. Used a Tactical innovations milled trigger housing with a Ruger BX trigger group in this one, replaced the plastic trigger with a TI metal trigger an extended mag release that wraps around the trigger guard, got a nice metal barrel band and an old Ruger metal stock buttplate, so absolutly no plastic parts in this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.