Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

10/22 Barrel Suggestion

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Fiskamon 
#1 ·
I'm in Florida at the moment while my 10/22 that I built on a poor mans budget is up in Delaware. I just bought a New 10/22 to help keep my sanity due to boredom. It's been close to 9 years since I built my first one and I think I've been out of the loop on parts and accessories. Right now I'm hung up on what barrel to get that will give me the accuracy that everyone wants. Any of you good folks have any ideas for me?

#14 ·
Since we're on this topic.. I'm looking at these two barrels. The KIDD UL fluted and the Feddersen Contour. Mine will be a hunting rifle. And I have around 30k rounds of various bulk ammo. So I need a barrel that'll feed non match ammo. Plus I have a can so it'll be threaded. Which route would you all take?

#3 ·
What kind of stock are you using, if wood , you can sand it out to fit a barrel if plastic , i dont know if you can. Even the after market gGM sporter barrels Ive bought require some sanding on the stock to fit, i dont know about the others. For $200 you could send the action and the barrel off to CPC for the works, chamber cut, bolt job, trigger job and cleaning hole .

#4 ·
You don't say how you plan to use the rifle or what weight you prefer, or what your budget might be. All are important factors for decision-making. If starting from square one with a Ruger 10/22, the two most important components for accuracy are the barrel and the trigger.

There are many options, but IMO a KIDD barrel would be the best choice, probably followed by the Feddersen. KIDD offers lighter weight options and Feddersen offers sporter contour barrels; both offer heavier .920" ("Bull") barrels. Take your pick. For an improved trigger, you cannot go wrong with the KIDD drop-in trigger kit, or go further with a KIDD single-stage or the ultimate KIDD two-stage trigger. Oh, and replace that steel bolt stop with a Bolt Buffer (lots of viable options). A KIDD bolt or a CPC-massaged OE bolt would round it out nicely.

Have fun.

Doug

#7 ·
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a KIDD product to be on any Black Friday sale, and I don't recall Feddersen doing anything special for the holidays either :(

that sort of thing is why I have several Green Mountain barrels though..they usually do something for Black Friday, and also like to run their 12 days of Christmas sales too :bthumb:

#8 ·
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a KIDD product to be on any Black Friday sale, and I don't recall Feddersen doing anything special for the holidays either :(

that sort of thing is why I have several Green Mountain barrels though..they usually do something for Black Friday, and also like to run their 12 days of Christmas sales too :bthumb:[/QUOTE

They also have cool, quality, barrels for ARs!:bthumb:

#9 ·
Bought a Shilen 20" SS .920" dia. barrel last year mated to my Kidd receiver. Gun will shoot 5-shot groups around .38" CTC @ 50 yds. in calm wind conditions with SK Match ammo (red box). Best so far is .266 CTC (5 shots @ 50 yds.). Shoots about the same as my 1965 vintage Anschutz 1413.

#10 ·
Thank you for the advice

I apologize for taking so long getting back to you folks after asking a question and you taking the time to respond. I'm going to use a magpul Stock for the 10/22. Not sure about what glass I plan to use. Could probably use some advice on the glass as well. I will probably try and polish up the stock trigger assembly and see if I can lighten the pull. Right now I'm averaging around 6.7 to 7.0 lbs. with the factory trigger assembly. I doubt I'll be entering any competitions, but I would like to not feel I'm wasting ammo at 50 yds and possibly 100.

#11 ·
I apologize for taking so long getting back to you folks after asking a question and you taking the time to respond. I'm going to use a magpul Stock for the 10/22. Not sure about what glass I plan to use. Could probably use some advice on the glass as well. I will probably try and polish up the stock trigger assembly and see if I can lighten the pull. Right now I'm averaging around 6.7 to 7.0 lbs. with the factory trigger assembly. I doubt I'll be entering any competitions, but I would like to not feel I'm wasting ammo at 50 yds and possibly 100.
If it's just going to be a target gun you really can't have too much magnification. Unless your going to be shooting it offhand in which case a good 4-16× would probably work. I prefer to have a high end magnification from 20× - 42× for shooting off the bench, especially at 100 yards. What scope you choose depends on your type of shooting and your budget.

#15 ·
I would go with the Feddersen. I think that they are less ammo sensitive than the Kidd's are. That is from what I have read. I do not own a Kidd, but own 3 Feddersen barrels. They all shoot CCI SV accurately enough for me. All 3 are threaded as well. Two are sporter contour and one bull barrel.

#16 ·
I do not own a Fedd. - want to try one in the future. But, just wanted to state that with the 40ish KIDD barrels I have mounted up I see NO AMMO "SENSITIVITY" .. none/nada. And his barrels polish some Turd Ammo's to where they shoot very well. Out of 7 brands I have not had any feed issues.. obviously some are more accurate than others.;)

#18 ·
Are there aftermarket barrels that have the stock front sight mount?

Everything I'm seeing has no front sight designed for optics, or has a specific brand of sight preinstalled. We want to keep our Tech Sight 200-RL.

As a result, I'm leaning towards sending everything to CPC for the complete re-work, which I believe isn't the worst thing. :bthumb:

#20 · (Edited)
Randy at CPC will tell you to shoot it with the ammo you intend to use and see if the groups are acceptable but need work.. if the barrel shows that it's worth messing with/re-work He can help. If said barrel is no-where near acceptable to start with He will tell you He can't polish a Sows Ear into a Silk Purse. ;) Some OEM's are better than others.. cutting the groups in half with a re-work is the goal.. but not always do-able.

#21 ·
Kidd Barrel

I ordered a 20" Threaded Kidd Barrel yesterday from Kidd. I called them early enough their time where they said they would get it out that afternoon and send me the tracking number. It's now the next day and no Tracking number as of yet. No big deal, I'm sure they got busy and will get it out today. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Now I just have to make up my mind about what Glass and Trigger housing to get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.