Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Mark III stovepipe issues

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  LostLensCap 
#1 ·
Hi to everyone here at RFC, I'm new on here & this is my 1st post. Took my new to me SS Mark III Hunter to the range yesterday. I had shot maybe 50 rounds and I started getting stovepipes/FTE. I should've taken pics but I forgot. This happened with several mags, 4 times with one mag. Some of the mags are brand new,first use and some came with the pistol. Gun was clean to start. Any ideas?

#7 ·
I'll try to answer all the replies to my post - the problem was a a failure to eject the SPENT round. Shooting at the indoor range at my club ,temp about 65 & Geco ammo. The LCI is still in the gun but it soon to be replaced with a Tandem Kross LCI replacement. I am also replacing the extractor & firing pin with the Volquartsen parts. As far as magazines I'm not sure which ones were giving me the problems but they were all Ruger brand. I have the gun completely apart & cleaned,just waiting for the aforementioned parts as well as VQ accurizing kit. While it's apart I';ve been polishing the barrel/receiver, grip frame,etc with my Dremel & Mother's Mag polish,really making the stainless shine! As soon as I get the parts I ordered & installed I take it to the range to test it & post the results.. Thanks everyone for your suggestions

#10 ·
Chaser's suggestion to use Hornady One Shot is spot on. It makes most any semi-auto action function at its best. I number all of my magazines. It helps me to identify a problem mag very easily, new or old. This is a small bit of advice given to me that I have found extremely valuable. Hope all of your efforts resolve your issues.

#11 ·
Mark the mags and sort out the faulty one(s). A small adhesive backed label w. 1,2,3,4 on the label will suffice.

Changing out the extractor still seems to be the fix all. Volt has made thousands on the suggestion.

Somewhere on line os a description of how to 'smooth up' your mags and make them more functionable. C;lean, deburr them, even/mostly when new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.