Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Note book

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  STRUGL4X'SC 
#1 ·
I got this notebook with something else on Ebay, never really looked at it closely. This might not be the best place to post it either. I don't know where you all were in 1930,but I hadn't been thought of yet. Anyway I thought this is cool.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Lots of views, no comments. As someone who has never been to Camp Perry, never shot in a 1000 yrd match, not served in our great countries military, love to get some insight as to what information is on that page that is not painfully obvious.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
The old military target was scored as miss, 2, 3, 4, 5, or V (equivalent to X today).

I'd have to do some digging to find the diameter of each ring for the 1000 yard target.

The WG (wind gauge?) setting was 1 1/2 minute L (from zero on his rear sight), and you can see his shot is a three at about 7 o'clock. Second shot he adjusted to 3/4 minute L, but still shot a left three (at about 10 o'clock). He finally went to zero on his sight and shot a V (X to us today).

you can see his wind estimate on bottom right of the page. At 1000 yards there are all kinds of things the wind can do, and you must not rely on the wind at shooting level, as the bullets spends lots of flight time much higher in the air.

The shooters diary in next in importance to the rifle and ammo.

#8 ·
Plot sheets like that aren't consigned to the dustbin of history yet. Go to a full-bore Target Rifle match in the UK, and shooters still use detailed graphs like this. NRA TR rules limit slightest, typically only 2, so shooters use the graph to help gauge their group centre as it develops, especially elevation. And, as it's common for 2 or 3 shooters to share a target, there's time for both writing and pretty big wind changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.