Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Unique Chili Recipe

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  TimH1961 
#1 ·
Hey folks, I love chili but I'm starting to get bored of the same old standard recipes. Anyone got anything unique to try?

#2 ·
One jar of spaghetti sauce 1/2 jar of water 1 pound of deer/pork meat chili powder garlic powder cayenne pepper. Sauce and water in the pot. Fry the meat dump into pot, two cans of black beans. Cover and simmer. Serve with Bowls of toppings Chopped onion avocado shredded cheese cottage cheese.

My wife likes her served with Warm cornbread, butter and honey. Me, I like cold beer:D

The toppings are the key for the change up. Now I’m thinking that feta,or blue cheese might be good or smoked Gouda etc

#4 ·
This stuff is so good, I doubt there has been more than 3 dozen days over the last four years that I have not used it,,

Tony Chacheres Seasoning Creole
The first time I tossed the LARGE size container in the cart at WalMart,, My wife told me I was crazy, we would never use that much before we died,,
It was GONE in a couple months!! :bthumb:

The large 17 oz size at Walmart only costs $2.17,, the 7oz size cost $1.57, :eek:
that is why I picked up the larger container.:D

We even take it on vacation, I doubt I could eat a steak that does not have this on,,
I guess I could eat it, but, I would not enjoy it,,, :confused:

Add this to the chili,, you will be surprised how much you will add before it is over seasoned,,

The chili is especially good the next day, if seasoned with this,,

#6 ·
Never put sugar in you chili, blaaaahhh.
We have made spaghetti with home grown tomatoes for more than 3 decades,,
and, I HAD never put sugar in it.

One night, my wife had friends over, they were working on a project.
I knew the friends were used to store bought spaghetti sauce, and I did not want them to be disappointed in MY sauce,,

Well, half way through making the sauce, probably 3 to 4 quarts,, I decided to dump a half cup of sugar in it,,

Well the spaghetti was a hit, that was 15 years ago, and those friends STILL talk about the great spaghetti I made that night.

We went back to making spaghetti sauce for us,, without sugar,,

So, I guess the moral of my story is,,
"Add sugar, if the guests have a sweet tooth!!"
:D

#7 ·
Some ground chuck, some RoTel, some guajillo, chipotle, ancho and pasilla chili powder, some cumin, some mexican oregano, some onion and some garlic. Brown the ground beef, throw in the onion and garlic until the onion starts to cook, then throw in the other spices and RoTel along with salt to taste until it is done. No beans. You can thicken it with a slurry or masa harina and water if you want at the end.

#11 · (Edited)
Green Pork Chili

I make this with leftover pulled pork

Green Pork Chili

1 pound Pork, smoked and chopped
1 medium Onion(s), minced
3 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon Olive oil
2 pound(s) Green chilies, roasted and chopped
2 tablespoon(s) Jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon Cumin
pinch Salt
pinch Black pepper
3 cup(s) Chicken stock
1 bottle Beer, dark

In a large dutch oven-type pot, saute garlic and onion in olive oil.

Add pork and mix until heated.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil.

Simmer, partially covered, for 2-3 hours.

If you want more heat, add more Jalaps.

Mals

#14 ·
Beginning of the next big disaster? :D Leftover grilled tri-tip from last night's dinner with me extra special super duper top secret spice mix. :eek::bthumb: I'll add some stock and some beans this time and let it cook in the InstantPot for a while and see how it turns out. Making chili is a lot like rimfire ammo testing...

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Try making your own chili powder. It will take any chili recipe up about 10 levels. I really can't overstate the difference between freshly made chili powder and the bottled sawdust you buy in the store.

Here's my recipe. This is the only spice I use in my chili (other than some black pepper and a bit of basil at the end). Since it's custom blended, I incorporated everything I want, so there's no need for additional spices. You can vary the heat buy changing the blend/proportions of peppers that you use, or change the amounts of garlic, cumin, etc... to fit your own tastes.

Fair warning, you might want to do the cooking part on a burner outside. Don't stand directly over the pan unless you enjoy the feeling of being maced. My wife can't even stand to be in the house when I do this recipe.

Area 52 Chili Powder
3 dried ancho chilis, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 dried cascabel chilis, stemmed, seeded and sliced
2 to 5 dried arbol chilis, stemmed, seeded and sliced (this is the heat!)
3 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
2 1/3 tablespoons garlic powder
1½ tablespoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Place the chilis and the cumin into a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool completely.

Once cool, place the chilis, cumin, garlic powder, oregano and paprika into a glass blender. Process spices into a fine powder. Allow the chili powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid. Makes a little more than ½ cup.

#18 · (Edited)
Here's my full chili recipe. I once bought a booklet with 10 years of Terlingua Chili Cookoff winning recipes in it. Over the span of about 6 months, I made every recipe. Then I started keeping what I liked from each recipe and modifying it until I thought it was perfect. When I learned to make my own chili powder the recipe got even better!

Area 52 Chili

2 medium yellow onions, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons oil (I like olive oil, but vegetable oil is fine)
Kosher salt
2-4 bottles of Ziegenbock Amber Ale
4 pounds beef stew meat
3 beef bullion cubes
Fresh cracked pepper
Tabasco to taste
2-3 (15 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
2 chipotle chilis in adobo, chopped
2 tablespoons adobo sauce
½ cup chili powder**
1 (30 oz) can of pintos, drained
1 (30 oz) can of light red kidney beans, drained
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
¼ teaspoon basil

1. Make your chili powder following the recipe above. The whole recipe hinges on this. DO NOT use store-bought chili powder!
  2. In a large cast iron Dutch oven, sweat onions and garlic in olive oil and a heavy pinch of kosher salt until translucent. Remove the onions and garlic and set aside.
  3. Bring the heat up to high and get your Dutch oven nice and hot. Add the beef and sear it on all sides. Don't crowd the pot. Cook the beef in several smaller batches, removing it from the pot when it is browned.
  4. Turn the heat down to low, add two beers to the pot and deglaze. Throw in the beef bullion cubes and let them dissolve. Add back the beef, onions and garlic, along with the chipotles, adobo sauce, black pepper, Tabasco sauce and 1/3 of the chili powder. The liquid should just cover the beef. Simmer for 1-½ hours. (Throughout the cooking, try to keep the beef JUST covered with liquid. Add more beer as needed, but don't add too much and make it soupy.)
  5. Add tomatoes and 1/3 of the chili powder. Simmer for another ½ hour.
  6. Add the last 1/3 of the chili powder and the beans. Simmer for another ½ hour.
  7. Lastly, stir in the basil.

#20 ·
With cooler weather coming on, I thought I'd revive this thread. Just for grins, here's an alternative to bowl of Texas Red:

Chicken Chili Verde

This is absolutely my favorite recipe ever for my pressure cooker. It's easily adapted for a slow cooker, too. Just adjust the cook time to make sure the chicken is done.

Ingredients
  • 3 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken thighs and drumsticks
  • 3/4 pound tomatillos, quartered, husks discarded (about 4 tomatillos)
  • 1 pound poblano peppers, roughly chopped, seeds and stems discarded (about 3 peppers)
  • 6 ounces Anaheim or Cubanelle peppers, roughly chopped, seeds and stems discarded (about 2 peppers)
  • 2 Serrano or jalapeño chilies, roughly chopped, stems discarded
  • 10 ounces white onion, roughly chopped (about 1 medium)
  • 6 medium cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed, toasted and ground
  • Kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves and fine stems, plus more for garnish
  • 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce, such as Red Boat
  • Fresh corn tortillas and lime wedges, for serving
  • Optional: 2 cans of navy beans

Directions
  1. Brown the chicken in a little bit of vegetable oil.
  2. Put the chicken on the bottom of the pot and cover with the tomatillos, poblano peppers, Anaheim peppers, Serrano peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, and a big pinch of salt. Seal the pressure cooker, bring to high pressure and cook for 15 minutes. Release pressure.
  3. Using tongs, transfer chicken pieces to a bowl and set aside. When cool enough to touch, shred the chicken, discarding skin and bones.
  4. Add cilantro and fish sauce to remaining contents of pressure cooker. Blend with an immersion blender and season to taste with salt. Return the chicken to the sauce.
  5. Stir in the beans if you are using them.
  6. Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with chopped cilantro, and serve immediately with tortillas and lime wedges

#24 ·
Spices will change the entire profile of a common dish like chili. One alternative is to add a good dollop of paprika to the dish. This is my son's favorite version of my venison chili. Another variation is the Cuban variation with a good amount of coriander and cumin and a 50/50% grind of beef and pork shoulder. Experiment as much as you can.

#26 ·
Maybe not unique but...

After playing around for years with chili recipes this is the one that most folks I serve think is the winner.

3lbs venison cubed (I prefer neck meat, beef works to)
2 medium onions chopped
6 strips of bacon cut up
1 tblspn smoked salt

1 tblspn each of
Chipotle chili powder
Chili powder
Paprika
Cumin

4 12oz cans Fire roasted tomatoes
1 12oz can Red kidney beans drained
1 12oz can Black beans drained

Cook the bacon until crisp and set aside. Heat the bacon fat left until VERY HOT then brown the meat in it. Reduce heat to medium, add the onion and salt cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add all of the spices and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cover pot and simmer on low for 3-4 hrs. Add the beans and bacon and simmer 1-2 more hrs.

Crack a cold one and enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.