Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
High speed footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnuGLpbxRk8

Notice that the bolt locks with one round left in the mag.
Col--a little bit of bolt bounce is evident in the video. I assume that footage was shot with your weight installed. What weight set-up are you using? Standard or adjustable?
I'm not sure why that bolt catch is engaging with a round still in the mag...That's VERY interesting.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:38 PM
colonelhogan44
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggershoe View Post
Col--a little bit of bolt bounce is evident in the video. I assume that footage was shot with your weight installed. What weight set-up are you using? Standard or adjustable?
I'm not sure why that bolt catch is engaging with a round still in the mag...That's VERY interesting.
It was an adjustable set up to max weight (~2.7oz), but I locked the tungsten weights in tight with a piece of o-ring so they wouldn't reciprocate to provide the maximum mass possible for keeping the casing in battery as long as possible, so I expected a bit of bounce (similar to a non-adjustable).

With my prototype extractor, the casing does not strip the extractor like before.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Still slogging it out....

Quote:
a little bit of bolt bounce is evident in the video
The bolt bounce shown isn't a problem unless it's a machine gun.

Quote:
Yes, the bolt velocity is quite high on these. Mine's extremely gassy too.......I locked the tungsten weights in tight with a piece of o-ring so they wouldn't reciprocate to provide the maximum mass
But you STILL aren't getting the bolt speeds down low enough.

Same problem(s) I outlined on page 11 of this thread.

You could try to:
Ditch the SS weight carrier and go to phosphor bronze. That will get you an extra gram for every cubic cm over 304ss (get out an Ampco catalog and look through for anything with a density over 7.5g/ccm)

(Deep down I say the HM2 should have a ringed chamber. The brass is ALWAYS going to deform, why not let it work for you as its doing it??? Once you had it ironed out the ring depth and dimension would be the same for every semi auto .22->.17hm2 rifle conversion. No alterations to the bolt or gun...more importantly NO additional purchases! Just buy a barrel and your set! A guy could sell a heap of 10/22 barrels!)
Old 11-21-2020, 08:19 PM
colonelhogan44
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShaghal View Post
The bolt bounce shown isn't a problem unless it's a machine gun.

But you STILL aren't getting the bolt speeds down low enough.

Same problem(s) I outlined on page 11 of this thread.

You could try to:
Ditch the SS weight carrier and go to phosphor bronze. That will get you an extra gram for every cubic cm over 304ss (get out an Ampco catalog and look through for anything with a density over 7.5g/ccm)

(Deep down I say the HM2 should have a ringed chamber. The brass is ALWAYS going to deform, why not let it work for you as its doing it??? Once you had it ironed out the ring depth and dimension would be the same for every semi auto .22->.17hm2 rifle conversion. No alterations to the bolt or gun...more importantly NO additional purchases! Just buy a barrel and your set! A guy could sell a heap of 10/22 barrels!)
It's a really good thought -- I'm going to look into repairing my first barrel by boring and pressing a new piece of metal in where the feed ramp is cut and re-chambering. If that pans out, I'll do some research on location and depth and cut a ring and see what effect that has. It'd be nice if that was the simple secret to these running without any swelling.

As of now, I'm not too worried about ruptured cases. I think that the changes in the later ammo may have helped in that regard. When I'm feeling particularly adventurous, I may run a few shots the old production Eley through to see if there is more swell. I'm guessing there will be.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:30 PM
colonelhogan44
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ran another 50 rounds through without incident today. There was some swelling present on the cases as expected, and some were a bit more swollen that previously seen. The temperature was in the 70s, rather than the 50s, so that probably had something to do with it.

Sidenote -- those little casings come out smoking hot. Shooting at things on the 100 yard line is a hoot. It's all the fun of a semi 22 with the instant hits and laser flat trajectory of a centerfire. A buddy of mine who is always unimpressed with rimfires of all flavors was loving it.

Last edited by colonelhogan44; 11-22-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:42 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
I ran another 50 rounds through without incident today. There was some swelling present on the cases as expected, and some were a bit more swollen that previously seen. The temperature was in the 70s, rather than the 50s, so that probably had something to do with it.

Sidenote -- those little casings come out smoking hot. Shooting at things on the 100 yard line is a hoot. It's all the fun of a semi 22 with the instant hits and laser flat trajectory of a centerfire. A buddy of mine who is always unimpressed with rimfires of all flavors was loving it.