Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

LCP.22 issues resolved?

23K views 53 replies 34 participants last post by  aarondhgraham 
#1 ·
Many reviewers reported a high rate of failure to fire with this pistol. Does anyone know if a cause has been found, or the issue otherwise resolved? The pistol seems to me to be a candidate for "perfect kit gun" -- if it can be made reliable.

#2 ·
I just went over 900 plus rounds with mine with no issues. There are many complaints from some but each and everyone of the LCPII22LR's I know of have worked and had no issues. IMHO it is a good little 22 rimfire. I do not shoot Hyper Velocity ammo in it but all the ammo I have tried cycles. I stick with mini-mags for the most part and decided to quit listening to the internet complaints and just enjoy mine.
*Maybe someone else has a different experience and some answers. Like I stated ours have run well and the one I train with has been tested past the 900 round count without a issue. My wife has the same good experience with just over 500 rounds. She only used mini-mags. I tested mine with the following. Good luck!
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPRN 40gr. fps 1235
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPHP 36gr. fps 1260
Blazer 22LR 40gr LRN 1255fps
Blazer 22LR 38gr. 1235fps. LRN
Remington Golden Bullet 22LR 40gr. 1255fps. Plated RN
Federal 22LR 36gr 1260fps CPHP

#3 · (Edited)
Good post Rick :bthumb: The key is ammo.. that sweet spot for the Velocity it/they like... Rick nailed it! Literally NAILED IT 900 times...I may be wrong but I say many of the problems you hear about are folks that don't understand the sweet spot/good ammo.. they think all 22 LR ammo is the same... big mistake. ;) Another issue is limp wristing.. ya I know there is NOT much recoil but the lil' pistol needs all of it to cycle properly.

Reactions: DeafGryphon
#5 ·
My take on is this... in the wrong hands any pistol may not function properly.. just like a Automobile... ya have to drive them correctly!

#6 ·
LCP II

Mine had a few hiccups at first, but I think that was due to some crap winchester ammo. Switched to cci and aguila and its been flawless since.I love mine. A stinger mag dump in an indoor range is kinda impressive. Have a little over 1200 rounds through mine. For every bad experience there's 10,000 good ones. Buy it, clean it, lube it, and it will work great. And if not, Ruger will make it right.

#7 ·
My experience with this gun after a 1,000 rds were almost exactly like the test done by Lucky Gunner. Many failures, light strikes and shooting way too high. Safety has engaged a number of time.
And please do not say I am limp wristing. I am a dedicated pocket gun enthusiast. I have been shooting them on a diligent schedule for over 10 years.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/ruger-lcp-ii-22lr-review/

#8 ·
Whiskey, it was the Lucky Gunner review and buzz on forums and Youtube that led me to have concerns about reliability. Good to hear that some folks here have had good luck with theirs. And yes, all .22s have their ammo likes and dislikes -- and pocket .22 autos even more so, apparently.
I am still very interested in the LCP .22.

#11 ·
I bought one two weeks ago... just in case I need to (further) arm the grand kids. :D

I gave them all a S&W 15-22, but if things keep heading down hill they might need a handgun, and the 7 year old has really short fingers. :p

Anyway, I took it out to the range last week.

One mis-feed in the first mag, flawless after that.

Ran CCI and Federal bulk ammo thru it. Not a fan of the thumb safety, but got along fine with the rest of the pistol.

#34 ·
Perfect kit-gun?

"The pistol seems to me to be a candidate for "perfect kit gun"

I'm not ragging on you my friend,,,
I'm just curious as to why you think this would be the perfect kit-gun.

Please elaborate a bit if you will.

Aarond

I think the term "Kit gun" just means any small, inexpensive gun that you could toss in a tacklebox or something similar. Has to do with size and durability.

#17 ·
Mine ( picked up for free as a prize at a shooting match so I had no concern for dumping the gu. If it did not work) has been very reliable with both standard and high velocity ammo.
It does shoot a bit high, but I shot a steelchallenge match with it recently and in 20 5 round strings missed one target. Not too shabby for a gun competing against tricked out full size pistols

#19 ·
I bought one of the very first ones available in January of this year. It was a turd out of the box with ftf and fte issues. After 300-400 rounds I sent it in to Ruger. I got it back doused in a very liberal coating of oil and a piece of paper saying there was nothing wrong with it except it doesn’t like certain ammo. Winchester being the worst and CCI not real hot either. It absolutely loves Federal Automatch. I’ve put at least 2k rounds through it with barely a hiccup. It’s a great companion to my LCP II .380

#31 ·
:rolleyes: :shakehead:

I bought one of the very first ones available in January of this year. It was a turd out of the box with ftf and fte issues. After 300-400 rounds I sent it in to Ruger. I got it back doused in a very liberal coating of oil and a piece of paper saying there was nothing wrong with it except it doesn't like certain ammo. Winchester being the worst and CCI not real hot either. It absolutely loves Federal Automatch. I've put at least 2k rounds through it with barely a hiccup. It's a great companion to my LCP II .380
:rolleyes: :shakehead: YEA RIGHT !

#27 ·
Well, the MSRP is $349, so the realistic price should be ~$300-$325, when the supply catches up. I've seen stocking dealers asking $350 to well over $400 on GB, but with no takers.

I'll be jumping on one when the price drops closer to the $300 mark and would have jumped at the $329 you mentioned.

Have well over a case of the SK made Wolf MT that should work quite well, as it does in my S&W M41.

Rob

#22 ·
I got one a few days ago and have had it to the range once.

I also got six extra mags for it. I found that the feed lips of the mags were razor sharp right where they engage the rims of the cases, as one would expect from punched steel. You could really feel the friction as the lips gouged into the case rims when sliding the rounds back against the rear of the magazines when loading them. So I smoothed them all off somewhat with some 1200 grit sandpaper before even heading out, and that reduced that drag somewhat.

Shooting CCI Mini Mags to start off, I had zero issues for the full 70 rounds (all seven mags loaded up with the MMs).

Then I tried a bunch of Federal 510b that I had, and experienced a number of failures. Mostly with a couple of (and one in particular) magazines.

The first round, chambered by slingshotting the slide, always fired. But the next round would fail to be picked up, and the gun wouldn't be cocked after that top round was fired. Manually racking the slide to load that second round allowed the gun to always fire the rest of the rounds in that mag.

Of course, the mag spring is pushing up its hardest for the first few rounds, and while it would chamber a round properly when slingshotting the slide for those top two rounds, that second round wouldn't feed properly on its own.

That makes me think that there was a lot of drag on the slide from the 2nd round pushing up against the bottom of the slide as it tried to move back, and the 510s didn't have enough snort to send the slide all of the way back, so it didn't cock the gun or pick up that next round.

I need to examine the bottom of the slide and see if there's something that needs to be smoothed up or greased a bit to help with that. And perhaps the slide or the rails it runs on are not smooth yet, and that extra upward force creates friction in a number of places, retarding the backward movement of the slide.

I also had a couple of failures to properly feed where the next round ended up pinched between the breech and the bolt face, and just dropped out of the mag well when I pulled the slide back (after first ejecting the magazine, of course). I didn't pay enough attention to know if those happened with those same two magazines.

I need to label the mags and pay more attention the next time I give the little gun a try.

To me, 510bs always feel like they have a weaker, or more "mellow" impulse when firing them than the Mini Mags. And I think one of the things that makes Mini Mags (and Blazers) so reliable in most semi-auto pistols is that they appear to use a fast-burning powder that creates a "sharper" impulse, and that's a plus when trying to operate a blowback pistol, especially ones with short barrels, where you need every advantage you can get to blow the slide back firmly.

I specifically made sure not to limp-wrist the little gun after I started having the failures, but that didn't make any difference. The 510bs, and those two mags in particular (especially one of them) seemed to be the culprits.

I may try a more diligent polishing of the feed lips and compare their exact positions against the "good" magazines to make sure they're not bent out of position in comparison.

For me, the gun consistently shot high and left. Not terrible, but obviously not right where I wanted it. Decent groups, just a bit high and left for me.

The barrel in mine seems rather "unfinished", with both the "crown" and the entry into the chamber being razor sharp - I mean, it'd cut you if your twirled it against your fingertip. I may look into doing something to remove the sharp edge/burr at the crown end, and probably also smooth up the entry to the chamber.

I have one of the LCPIIs in .380, and it's a peach. Not one failure of any sort with it, and it shoots nicely for me. I did put some white paint on the front sight of that one, and I will probably do something to the sights of the .22 as well. I am nearsighted and wear progressives, and I can't really focus on the sights, and having them all black doesn't help. So I may just have been misinterpreting the blurry mess that is my sight picture with this little gun.

The first thing I noticed was the amazing muzzle flash that one sees from the shooter's point of view when firing, particularly, the Mini Mags. This was at an indoor range, and this may not be as visible outside in the sun.

I like the little gun, and will work with it a bit and see if I can make it less picky about the ammo.

#26 · (Edited)
Ruger LCP II LITE RACK .22 LR. no Failure yet

I recommend before you fire a shot that you clean and lube the pistol first .I Like the Lucas Gun Grease. In over 800 rounds fired so far not one failure except 10 out of 50 Remington thunder terds failed I ran them back thru again and all 10 were duds. I strongly recommend you add the Hogue Beaver Tail Grip Sleeve. :t

https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door-line/lucas-extreme-duty-gun-grease

https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door-line/extreme-duty-gun-oil

https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door-line/lucas-extreme-duty-clp

https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door-line/lucas-extreme-duty-bore-solvent-ultrasonic-gun-cleaner

#32 ·
I took mine to the range today just went over 850 rounds and then nothing. Up until this point the only problem was on the 3rd round when new was a failure to feed. Upon removing the slide it was evident that the firing pin had broke. I’ll contact Ruger on Monday. Been trying to find improved after market online with no luck. )

#36 ·
I just bought one recently for a snake gun when out exploring Indian ruins and petroglyphs in AZ.

I went out to test fire, did ok but did have a lot of misfires from light strikes. Rims were barely dented.
Then I came home and ordered the Galloway spring kit, and their trigger. Installed and tested on a couple cases. Proper indentation now.

need to take it out again and test.