Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Quest to shoot a 250 on the GM

17K views 118 replies 25 participants last post by  Vincent 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to shoot a 250 @ 25 yards on the USBR Green. Monster target . And I think I'm on my way :) . I tried one of my best shooting CZ's yesterday ( a 452 Varmint in a Pro Varmint stock) and after trying three different ammo , my best was a 241-4X .
Today , I took a couple of my Ruger 10/22 builds and with this one I shot a 245-9X , using SK Standard Plus . This is one of my 10/22 SuperStocks . Factory receiver , JWH bolt kit , Kidd drop in trigger kit , a 19" SS Green Mountain. Heavy Taper barrel , and a Boyds Rimfire Hunter stock . Scope is a Mueller 8.5-25X44 set @ 25X Mildot scope.
IIRC , a 248 is the best I've ever shot , and that's been awhile . Once I've get my 250 @ 25 , I'll think about moving out to 50 yards . Kirby

See less See more
#102 · (Edited)
First off, Kirby, I admire your chase.
I know the feeling well, I shot NRA/ISU smallbore for many years. The target for a "10" was a dot. In order to score a "10" you had to hit the dot at 50 feet. This was done with open sights three position. I was never able to "clean" a target in all 3 positions. I was able to do it in prone and kneeling but never in standing. My personal best was a 299, I shot that during a match In Anniston Al during the shooting season in 1981. I was on full smallbore shooting scholarship at Georgia Military College.
Once again I admire your dedication, once I finished college I sold all of my competition equipment in 1981 when I returned home. It got to be more like a job than enjoyment.
This thread makes me want to get start chasing the dream again.
Thank You for re-igniting the spark.
Good luck in your quest!! I hope to be in the run with you soon.

#103 ·
Thanks , lately I’ve been caught in the monthly 25 yard match offered in a different manufacturer thread that limits equipment to factory and scope power @ 9X . But soon I’ll be back to expanding my quest to include all of my rimfire rifles .
It’s a fun quest regardless of equipment used . Kirby

#104 ·
The USBR is a great target. Shooting at 25 is one thing-50 a total different one.

Sometimes I start at 50 and then after a couple targets move to 25. I find that the 25 is easier after firing the 50--aim small etc..

At out Yooper matches we normally start at 25 the after a couple targets move to 50-sometimes it is better to start at 50--WIND usually increases as the match goes along.

#107 ·
I always shoot USBR, buy the targets 250 at a time from American Target-Denver.

I have been attending matches at a club where we shoot on the IBS target. At the last match I nearly dropped the FIRST round for a 9, few more thousands and it would have been.

ive suggested the USBR for a match, Id supply the targets, no deal. Once I took my IBS and matched the holes up to a USBR, best i could. My 250 would have probably scored about 235-237, USBR.

Went on to win the match, 2 cards. I bet some of those members wish Id stay home. I drive about 120 mi to the match site.

#109 · (Edited)
The action around here in the Super Stocks is a little slow . Time to start stirring things up .
New year , time to get back at it with my Quest for a 250 with my 10/22’s .
I’ve been deep into my bolt actions , but it seems I didn’t get any closer with them .
I almost thought about thinning the 10/22 herd by parting out a few , but then figured. I’d just start back over down the road . :D
So, I did some barrel , stock , and scope swapping . Created five that would be considered SuperStocks . All have GM HT barrels , one is in a LVT stock , three in DSP stocks , and the last one I’m particularly impressed with the way it looks is in a Boyds pepper Rimfire Hunter stock with 17” blue HT Barrel , Kidd drop in trigger kit , and topped off with a 6-20X40 Weaver Grand Slam Scope . If this one shoots as good as it looks , I should be getting close to that 250 .
Pictures after my range trip planned for next week , weather permitting.

#111 · (Edited)
Didn't get to shoot for score today . Spent most of my range time sighting in and checking ammo .
Weather was clear , and sunny , but in the thirties into the forties while we shot . I was surprised to see SK Magazine do as good as it did . Was the best shooting out of the ammo I shot . I Did shoot some groups @25 yards .
Shot these four consecutive groups of five with my Pepper SuperStock using SK Magazine

And shot these four groups with my Brown SuperStock .

Also sighted in and shot another SuperStock that I didn't get around to shooting any SK Magazine out of . Thinking of swapping the barrel in this one to a blued HT Barrel before my next range trip .

#113 · (Edited)
Found my old thread and read it completely through .
I never shot 250 on the USBR Target aka “ the Green Monster “
I haven’t shot much at all this year because of Covid .
I’ve only been to the range a few times and this was recently.
If the range is busy , I either try to wait until it clears , or I turn around and drive that hour and half back home .
I plan on starting back up chasing my dream of shooting a 250 @ 25 yards on the GM .

**** A change in plans . It’s much nicer here in the SuperStock section . I deleted my post in the open rimfire and when I get a chance to take my Rugers to the range , I’ll be posting my results here .

#114 ·
Best of luck Kirby! I will be rooting for you. I have never done it either, but I believe you can pull it off. I find it challenging to make 25 great shots in a row. That’s a long time to stay focused on all fundamentals and watch the wind. It will be quite an accomplishment when you achieve it. Finding the right rifle and load and shooting in good conditions will get you about 90% there. The last 10% is the hardest for me and it’s all between the ears.

#115 · (Edited)
What rifle/ammo are ypou using.

I can assure you that there are lots of 250s in that gun, just have to work to fine em.
Dont drive home, shoot. Unless your shooters are DIFFERENT they will let you shoot. May have to cease fire while they run down and post/check targets now and then but so what.

Pretty soon you will be looking for 250s at 50 YARDS... I done 244 once and lower 240s couple times. Had a 249 at 50 once at a match at our range.

I recall when it was a major goal to get an X on the center bull (center bull-center row)....had to have it..

#116 · (Edited)
I plan on giving several different rifle a shot .
Last night I put four 10/22's back together to try .
Next range trip I'll take two .
One has a 16.25" SS Green Mountain Bull barrel . It was a 20" barrel and I chopped it to 16.25" and gave it a home crown job . It'll be in a Bell & Carlson Anschutz style stock with a Mueller 8-32x40 target dot scope .
The other one has a 17" Blued heavy taper GM barrel , in a Boyds Rimfire Hunter stock . Scope on that one is a Weaver Gran Slam 6.5-20x40 target dot . Both have Kidd drop in trigger kits and break at around 1.5# .
I'm hoping I can get back to the range next Monday .
The reason I turned around and went home was the range was almost completely full and nobody had a mask on . My brother ( my shooting buddy) is 74 and I'm almost 70 and we both had wives with health issues .
Can't risk taking Covid back home .
I used to belong to a private range that's less than 20 minutes from the house , but I'd have to go alone and last time I went there , it was getting busy almost every day and the owner has semi-retired and is only open 9-6 Tuesday-Saturday. And the benches aren't covered . Concrete benches with five gallon buckets to sit on with gravel on the surrounding area.
This is one of the rifles, it qualifies as a SuperStock .

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.