Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Hosting and Registration

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ayandre92 
#1 ·
I have been experimenting lately with some free web hosts. Haven't found anything too special, but awardspace.com isn't too bad other than no SMTP. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any good experience with a free web host that allowed for fairly decent cgi/php/smtp to put up a domain?

On another note, I have never used one of the free domain registrars. Anyone have any positive feedback? I have heard they take a while but I have never tried one.

Thanks,

m

P.S. I know, you get what you pay for. I just have some older, barely used domains that I am helping others with and they just don't want to spend anything on them so I figured I would go get some experience.

#2 ·
#6 · (Edited)
MattK said:
Matt,

I couldn't find anything free at prohosting, did I miss the link? I wasn't able to connect to owns1.com so maybe connection/reliability issues? I am trying to stay away from banners like 50megs.com and freeservers.com. So far I have been testing awardspace.com and it is ok, but although I can receive mail, doesn't seem like I can send it...that aint gonna work. Any other suggestions?

-----------------------------------------

Ok, just read the FAQ and I get pop3 for free, but no smtp. Took a look over at freehostia.com it is the same deal. Makes sense for a freebie I suppose. Not really a comprehensive solution but I guess that it will do for now.

#9 ·
why not just pay for a cheap host? you'll get more space, better reliablility, and you won't have any ads. I mean with some places hosting for as little as $4 a month... you can't go wrong. That's cheaper than some ammo ya shoot.

for $6.95 a month, you can go to like http://www.bluehost.com/ and get 50G of disk space and 999g of bandwidth.. per month

You get full SMTP domain, you can host 6 different domains off one account, 2500 email addresses.. 24/7 support if you need it..

I am hosted on bluehost and they have been freaking great. You can pay for a year or 2 years in advance, and your done!

#10 ·
Yep

I did that once to get more bandwidth and to do away with the banner adds ..

I went with Freeservers.com never a problem ..

problem is that banner free hosts dont last very long ...

Matt

#11 ·
WolfmoonCT said:
why not just pay for a cheap host?
It's not for me. I already have hosting at server101.com, theplanet.com, interserver.net, powweb.com and a few others...actually I have been consolidating most of my "own" at another host. I am just pursuing the free alternatives for a few sites that have very little need of bandwidth, etc...frankly, little need of a web site, but that is there choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.