Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New to 5mm

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Al the Infidel 
#1 ·
Hello,
Just joined your forum. I have always had a interest in the 5mm Remington and recently purchased one at auction. I have been buying plenty of ammunition that is available. When was the last time Aguila ran a production run(besides the current). Did it get to the point between runs that for the most part dried up and none was available?

Thanks
Bruce

#2 ·
Welcome !!!

I'm not sure when the last run was. But I'm thinking 2018, maybe.

The prior run had all but dried up by then ammo and prices were climbing. I've NO idea if we'll ever see another run or not. So my advice would be for you to buy twice as much as you think you'll ever need NOW.

#5 ·
Thanks Guys,
I was able to shoot the rifle yesterday and it shoots well. Just using the factory sights for now. The Hollow Point 30 grain bullets were just turning to dust on the steel plates. Have a 2-7 Leupold but would like to have see thru bases so I can use the irons. Keep searching for a Base solution. Still buying more ammo too.

Thanks
Bruce

#6 · (Edited)
Have a 2-7 Leupold but would like to have see thru bases so I can use the irons.
Thanks
Bruce
My father was of a like mind of thinking thus had a flip-off side mount installed on his Savage 99 303 after WWII. He never used the irons after. The scope lasted 50 years until I inherited it and sold the rifle and my post war Savage 99 300 with a like mount. I never used the irons either. The only reasons IMO a mount to use both irons and glass would be personal preference or when a scope fogged up. YMMV

#7 ·
Welcome Big_Guy to the forum.

I looked over on Ammoseek.com and there is quite a large supply of 5mm out there to be had. But the cheapest is 45c a round and the max is almost a dollar. Wow, for rimfire? I looked it up and it seems to be a very nice cartridge, too bad it never much caught on.

If you tire of the chase, I can reload 22 Hornet for half that cost and even with the initial investment of dies and a Lee Handloader you'd break even at around 500 rounds. Sorry if my advise is out of line.

P.S. Right now isn't the best time to start reloading as small primers are pretty much unobtainium.

#8 ·
Hello,
I reload for the .22 Hornet on a 310 tool and use spent 22 Short cases to swage my own bullets for it as well. Do lots of reloading.

I'm happy with the 5mm. Purchased a good supply of ammo for many years of shooting. I'll focus on keeping the bore clean and protected so I don't have to service it.

Bruce

#10 ·
I recently bought some .25 Stevens rimfire ammo, even though I don't have a firearm in that caliber. Now I find that 5mm rf appears to be close to .25 rf necked down.

I wish there was a source of obsolete rimfire calibers, I have a .32 rf Stevens and have some ammo for it but it is old and very expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.