Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Quest to shoot a 250 on the GM

17K views 118 replies 25 participants last post by  Vincent 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to shoot a 250 @ 25 yards on the USBR Green. Monster target . And I think I'm on my way :) . I tried one of my best shooting CZ's yesterday ( a 452 Varmint in a Pro Varmint stock) and after trying three different ammo , my best was a 241-4X .
Today , I took a couple of my Ruger 10/22 builds and with this one I shot a 245-9X , using SK Standard Plus . This is one of my 10/22 SuperStocks . Factory receiver , JWH bolt kit , Kidd drop in trigger kit , a 19" SS Green Mountain. Heavy Taper barrel , and a Boyds Rimfire Hunter stock . Scope is a Mueller 8.5-25X44 set @ 25X Mildot scope.
IIRC , a 248 is the best I've ever shot , and that's been awhile . Once I've get my 250 @ 25 , I'll think about moving out to 50 yards . Kirby

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I'm not sure what your agenda is . But if you look below in the Monthly Matches offered here at RFC , the USBR target is shot at both 25 and 50 yards as a match . They even have an semiauto division.
The X's look like they are not completely shot because of the indoor flash picture I took . Whether you think they're in or out doesn't concern me .
This is a fun match , not a sanctioned NRA match .
I no longer have anything left to discuss with you . Kirby

#8 ·
Holy smokes, just trying to get you informed about the target, sport and rules. Blast away at any distance and have fun. If you desire to shoot matches, the rules apply.
I've been shooting matches ( archery and Rimfire , also muzzleloader ) for over 40 years . I know how to score a target . I've actually shot competitive benchrest , have you ? I don't need to be told how to score my targets .
This is a fun quest ! Not a NRA competition . Good grief . Kirby

#10 · (Edited)
I want to shoot a 250 @ 25 yards on the USBR Green. Monster target . And I think I'm on my way :) . I tried one of my best shooting CZ's yesterday ( a 452 Varmint in a Pro Varmint stock) and after trying three different ammo , my best was a 241-4X .
Today , I took a couple of my Ruger 10/22 builds and with this one I shot a 247-9X , using SK Standard Plus . This is one of my 10/22 SuperStocks . Factory receiver , JWH bolt kit , Kidd drop in trigger kit , a 19" SS Green Mountain. Heavy Taper barrel , and a Boyds Rimfire Hunter stock . Scope is a Mueller 8.5-25X44 set @ 25X Mildot scope.
IIRC , a 248 is the best I've ever shot , and that's been awhile . Once I've get my 250 @ 25 , I'll think about moving out to 50 yards . Kirby

I won't argue your X count, but I do question your math...:p ;) :D

I see three 9's and one 8 giving you a 245, that's good shootin' though, mighty fine in fact.

#12 ·
Update , I've shot about 15-20 cards the past couple weeks . I keep trying different combos searching for that perfect combo .
I've shot three 245's so far . I'm not giving up .
I know that shooting a 250 with a semiauto at twenty five yards isn't a recognized accomplish , but it's my own personal goal .
Before I post another picture of any targets , I'll double check them for accuracy . :)
Bought a brick of Center X and will be giving it a try tomorrow . Kirby

#14 ·
I spent some serious time and a bunch of ammo shooting this game. This is the game that taught me more than any other about shooting a semi auto from the bench.

I like your drive to get er' done. :bthumb:

#16 ·
I am certain I have an official scoring plug for the USBR game (or anyother 22lr target game I guess). Assuming I can find it would you like to have it? In m,y experience having the plug added 2-3 points per sheet as opposed to my more critical eye ball method!

The fact that it ADDED point surprised the heck out of me! I would like to take BigSky1's statement one step further. I shot USBR RFC BOX STOCK Class for a year. I finished second every month with my T/C Classic beaten by Danny Creasy who said he was shooting the most accurate CZ American he had ever shot and he had years of match experience so if I had to lose than losing to a good guy like Danny made slightly easier AND my semi beat ALL the other bolt guns shooting that year including a few CZs and Rem 541 and a few other. The reason I said I would take BS1's statement about learning to shoot a semi I think I learned more about MANY aspects of shooting but mostly reading the conditions which usually meant wind but included mirage that I hate much worse than wind.

When I was 11 or 12 years old I took a 12 week NRA Marksmanship class where we met every Sunday morning on the base rifle range at China Lake Naval Weapons Test Center in the Mojave Desert of CA. Iit was taught by a grumpy but very kind old guy that was a World War ONE Marine Gunnery Sarg and a yearly Camp Perry competitor. I think because of that training in position shooting I out shot all my friends for my whole life......THEN I shot the USBR Green Monster!

It was the USBR that fine tuned what I already knew from over 40 years before but it also taught me new things that I had never had to use when group shooting but should have been doing all along. On my return trips to CA even my friends noticed I was shooting even better than I had before when we would have our 4-7 day camp out and Marathon Golf Ball Shoots that could take up to 750 rounds of ammo a DAY!!

I stopped shooting after one year of USBR only because for me shooting is supposed to be fun and an almost Zen like state when target shooting. As a Competitor it brought out the racer in me that can not enjoy shooting to compete because I have only two settings. Off and Kill. I just could not enjoy shooting for competing.

Anyway if you want the scoring plug let me know and I will do my best to find it. I THINK I know where to start. Like I said it was usually good for a few points per sheet. :D:bthumb:

#20 ·
I'm glad I didn't sell off my LVT barrel and stock . It's a shooter IMO . I got a chance to take it out this morning .
I wound up shooting three GM cards at 25 yards .
I started off with SK+ and shot a 242-6X and that's with a 4#+ trigger . I'm going to work on the hammer some today and see if I can get it below 3# .
Second card was shot with CCI SV and it shot a disappointing 229-6X .
Just to get some more trigger time with it , I sighted it in with some Federal Auto Match , expecting it to shoot all over the place . I was surprised shot a 234-2X , not bad with bulk ammo .
If I can get the trigger where I want it I may concentrate my efforts on shooting a 250 using this rifle . I think it's capable . Kirby

#21 · (Edited)
I shot five cards today , three this morning , and two this afternoon .
This morning produced a 235-2X , a 241-4X , and a 244-9X .
The first two were with the LVT with the 241-4X shot with Center X .
The 244-9x was shot with a rifle build using a Green Mountain 17" blue Heavy Tapererd barrel with SK + .
This afternoon I played around with a 10/22 barreled with a 19" Stainless GM HT . Results a 241-1X and a 246-6X using SK+ .
If nothing else , this has been a learning experience . As I go along , I try to accurised whatever rifle I'm using that day . Changing stocks, scopes , bedding , screw torque .
I've found the lightest hold I can hold while still aiming my shot produces best . I've learned I have to squeeze the trigger exactly the same each time . The longer I take on a shot , the less of a chance it'll go where it's supposed to .
Hopefully get an opertunity to shoot a few more tomorrow . Kirby

#22 · (Edited)
Update :
While shooting this morning I spent one third of my shooting time sighting in an iron sighted 10/22 with plastic stock , Tech Sights and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot . Was able to set them up to coexist .
Once I got it shooting cards , I tried a couple new ammo with the LVT that proved not accurate enough for target use . I shots a 223-1X with Aguila SV , and a 228-1X with a combo Wolf MT , finishing up with Fed AutoMatch . I was surprised the Wolf shot as bad as it did . It's part of a brick I've had for a few years . Dropped 9 points on the top row before switching and finishing off the target , while I waited to change targets .
Then I switched to a rifle with a 19" HT GM SS barrel . Managed a 242-4X with SK+'.
Finally I shot what I feel is my most accurate rifle . A 10/22 with Pro Varmint stock , a GM 17" blue HT barrel . This one also has a JWH bolt and Kidd drop in trigger kit . With only a 4-12X40 Sigtron scope this rifle with SK + shot a 247-5x . My highest recent score . I rechecked my plugged shots when I got home and found my scoring plug had arrived .
I'll keep trying , I think I'm getting closer .
Once I shoot the 250 @ 25 yards , I'll be moving out to 50 . I'll keep shooting the LVT also . If I were to ever shoot a match , it'd be an ABRA match and the LVT could shoot in the factory class . Kirby

#23 · (Edited)
I shot in the USBR match's here on RFC for 5 solid years @ 25 & 50 Yards when it was quite popular.
And that was year around here in MN.

I learned a lot about target shooting with a .22 LR and even @ 25 yards it takes good ammo, wind flags,
smooth trigger & you don't have too have a 1 lb hair trigger, solid bench discipline and of course an accurate rifle.
I have like 7 or 8 .22 rifles and they all got a crack @ the green monster.
2-CZ's, 3-Russian built rifles, 2-10/22's and only my Ultimate 10/22 & my Russian built CM-2 Cadet would shoot a 250
on a regular bases from month too month @ 25 yards.
Sounds like fun & the green monster is a very tuff target way harder then group shooting.
It's too bad the match's petered out here on RFC...:confused:

Keep at it, the more you shoot the green monster the better you will shoot down the road....:bthumb:

Midwest Swiss

#24 ·
Went out this morning . Took the LVT and a CZ Bolt . Can't start shooting at my local range until 9am . By then the sun is on the uncovered 25 yard bench .
I shot the LVT first with SK+ , this is out of my latest case purchase . I've had it almost a year and have only shot a brick so far . I've been finishing off the old case of which I have one brick left .
The newer SK+ shoots pretty good . I shot a 247-4X with the new scoring gauge saving me on one I'd already called -1 .
It was starting to get hot and humid , I put the LVT away and tried the CZ with some Wolf MT that didn't want to shoot in the Rugers . Well , it didn't want to shoot in the CZ either . I've had this for a few years . Bought 4 bricks at a gun show $50 each . I'll use it for barrel seasoning if I don't find something that likes it .
Packed up and went home . At 2:00 pm today , the heat index was 103 . It's been a hot summer already . Kirby

#25 ·
Update : I've been shooting , but haven't shot a better score than the 247-5X until today .
I shot a Ruger 10/22 with a Green Mountain 16.5" SS HT barrel , Qued bolt , Kidd trigger kit , in a Bell & Carlson Anschutz stock . I seem to be having better luck with the heavy tapered barrels free floated over the bull barrels .
I started off shooting back to back 245's with SK+ and decided to try a card with Center X .
I dropped a point on my second shot . :( took a few minutes , shook it off , and proceeded . I was doing great , taking my time , trying not to get in too big a hurry . I shoot a row , load 5 rounds with a shell in the chamber . Shooting a semiauto it doesn't take long to squeeze off five shots .
On the secon row a guy drives up and starts setting up three benches over . I was hoping he wasn't going to break out an AR . Haha , worse . He opens a gun case on his tailgate and pulls out a Barrett 50 cal. As he continued to set up , I hurriedly shot the rest of the card . Surprisingly well, until the last bull where I guess I choked . Dropped another point .
Wound up with a 248-9X , my best so far . I feel some of the 10's would have plugged as X's , but some folks count them that way , some don't .
Anyways , I'm getting there, one point at a time :) .
I hung around after putting my stuff away and watched the guy shoot the .50cal. 4-5 times . Wow ! What a muzzle blast ! Kirby

#27 ·
Thanks , this is at 25 yards .just wanted make that clear . Sometimes folks just catch the most recent post and don't get the whole story .
Still a Tough target , at 25 IMO .
I've gotten to where most of the time , I know whether it's me or the ammo . Center X is expensive but it is a step above SK+ , SK+ is a big step over CCI SV . The Center X buys me 3-4 points over SK+ . SK+ is as much as 10 points over CCI SV . Would like to try some Midas . Kirby

#29 ·
Those barrels in those stocks are almost magic to me. I had two and one looked just like that one and the other was blue barrel and both were from the first run Green Mountain made and for some reason I think that first run had many extremely good barrels.

To give you an idea of how other people thought of it I traded it straight up for Sig P220 SAO with a 22lr top end!!

Very nice looking rifles aren't they? Kind of miss it as they were known here as the "Twins" for a number of years. When SuperStock was young I bought the RFC Only sale blue for $75 and Stainless for $86. The blue one was the most accurate SuperStock here at that moment and I did not know if I just got lucky or they were that good. I went a little nuts spending money I should not have to build the one like yours in less than 2 weeks and to this day I can not tell you which was more accurate.

The one like yours still holds the smallest group average in the 100 Yard MOA Game in SuperStock.

Looks like yours is upholding a long SuperStock tradition of very accurate DSP/Green Mountain tradition of accuracy!! :bthumb:

#32 ·
Usbr @ 25

Even our RFC Matches have a 25 yd USBR match. I used my T/C Classic for a year in the BOX STOCK class and finished second place every month beating a bunch olf bolt actions and losing to only one and it was close. Of course our SuperStocks are not legal in BOX STOCK but they are in other classes.

I happen to think these light weight sporters are more suited to 25 yards than 50 although I do very little shooting at 25 except when shooting a new rifle in the Sawdust 1/4" Club Game (the Granddaddy of all RFC Games).

It did use to crack me up when reading other parts of RFC and people were posting about the changes made to their rifles and then you would see them show up in BOX STOCK :rolleyes::mad::eek: I never protested one because the two rifles finishing 1st and 2nd (Danny Creasy and me) WERE BOX STOCK.

Why do I keep using all caps in saying the class is BOX STOCK? Because the much loved and missed Joe Haller our Match Director for many years tried to beat it into everyone's head it was BOX STOCK and he wrote it that way. I think it is called that to this day.

Can you imagine how easy it would be to cheat with a SuperStock rifle with a Que or CPC rechambered barrel that had been lapped and Moly Fusion treated and a KIDD trigger kit or a Brimstone (or in my case one of my own) triggers. Bed it, tune it with barrel supports (tuning with take down torque would be legal). Throw in one of those invisible rear take downs. The thing would be completely legal LOOKING but would be flat cheating!!

I would never suggest one of our guys do this and in fact if I KNEW for a fact someone was cheating would probably have to say something to him or her first and if they continued I would talk to the Match Director. When I was racing I ran two engines that were so badly illegal that very few parts in them were legal and I got torn down every race and in a year they never found a illegal part. Back then cheating was an honored tradition in racing. At the end of that year they passed a rule that if anyone was caught blatantly cheating in a stock class you could be banned for a year:eek: That was 1985.

Like I said in NASCAR and USAC (Indy, Sprint Cars, Midgets and Champ Cars) and even in Formula One if you were smart enough to beat the tech guys it was considered an honored tradition right or wrong. These days in organizations like NASCAR the Crew Chief can be banned from a number of races up to LIFE and fined $100,000 or more and the team can lose all their owner points which can be worth millions of dollars. The days of Junior Johnson, Smokey Yunick, Gary Nelson (he was such a good cheater NASCAR hired him to run the rules and tech part of the organization!!) cheating and just winking at them are long gone.

Here at RFC people work so hard to shoot those matches well I would have to say something BUT a good SuperStock sleeper rifle could clean up in that BOX STOCK class and there is no way to tech the rifle. All on Honor System just like our Games and in 10 years of our games we have have only been convinced ONE person was cheating. He was a high school aged kid that just wanted to be one of the "cool guys" and Ricochet was merciless on the kid chasing him away forever!!

Sorry for the off the subject hijack (another fine SuperStock Tradition:eek::D) but it just struck me how easy it would be to clean up in BOX STOCK. :D:eek:

#33 ·
Hello Kirby,
Glad someone else has a similar addiction to mine. I used to have a life before I found that target! Been shooting at 50 yds with a Magnum Research MLR22AT, just another 10-22 clone but with a carbon fiber over stainless core barrel. Best I have done so far is a 230 4x with CCI STD V. Tried several bag sets, bench rests, rifle stocks, optics... Hope it never ends! Switching over to an all Tony Kidd setup with a true bench rest stock next. If I feel I just gotta have an Anschutz the fun will be over and I'll check into a sanitarium somewhere. Good luck shooting! If you can use another link to scoring gauges:http://www.northerngunparts.com/scoringgauges.aspx
Regards
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.