Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

How to Score the USBR Target

17K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  cz17hm2 
#1 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Don't get the magnified version.

Much better to use the standard one along with a lighted hand held magnifier.

At my range we've had a USBR match running for almost 3 years now, and have scored over 1500 targets, so I can tell you that from our experience.
Every target is doubled and sometimes triple checked, so the 1500 is just a striating point.

Here is my recommendation. (We've tried well over a dozen different lighted magnifiers).

Carson 5X PO-55
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carson-Minibrite-5x-LED-Lighted-Aspheric-Magnifier-PO-55/22410454
This unit has earned the nickname of the "Slayer of Hope". :)

One group of several relays busily scoring and confirming scores.

Smooth

#7 · (Edited)
First off a score of 97 out of a possible 250 on a USBR target is really awful.

If you hit the outermost ring on the bull with each of the 25 shots, then the absolute worse you could score is a 125-0X.

But to answer your question (assuming it's a real question), then a 97-3X would be the winner.
Maybe you're thinking that the USBR target tops out at 100, and if that's the case you should ignore my snarky comment.

Smooth

#9 · (Edited)
Ah yes, Ive shot some of those targets myself, although they are not really a USBR target.
What you're shooting is a ten bull target the uses the USBR bull.

I shot this target with my .17hmr before I even owned a .22.
Shooting this target is much harder with a .17 because the bullet is about 26% smaller. If I had shot it with a .22 there would have been a bunch more X's.
Shot at 50yds.

To answer your question: No a high score always wins out over X count.

The debate comes from the scenario where say a 97-7X would would come in second to a 98-0x.
Seems crazy that the 97-7X would lose to a 98-0X, but remember X's only exist to break ties.

I have shot in matches where they give you an extra point for each X, but eventually they all have gone back to the original concept.

Smooth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.