Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

December 2020 CZ/BRNO Open Sight 25 Yard Rimfire Central Online Benchrest Match

3K views 53 replies 12 participants last post by  1522steelshooter 
#1 ·
Last go at it for 2020. I don't see how some of you can do much better than you have been but here's hoping that some will see a new personal best to close out the year.

Guidelines:

CZ or BRNO open sighted sporters - less than or equal to 8.5 lbs when weighed with the magazine removed - any safe trigger - CZ factory open sights only (no optics, peeps, ghost rings, apertures, or receiver sights allowed).

No aftermarket barrels or stocks - only CZ's original stocks and barrels. It is also prohibited to swap the stocks of different CZ models such as taking the stock from a Varmint and putting it on a Trainer. If one has damaged his/her original CZ stock, they may order the same exact factory replacement stock for their specific model. There are other BR games on RFC for dramatically altered rifles. We are trying to encourage competition with unmodified or minimally modified open-sighted CZ sporters. No aftermarket barrels or stocks - only CZ's original stocks and barrels. As to custom stock bedding performed on a factory stock, no compound-bedding allowed, pillared or non, and plain pillar bedding is prohibited as well.

Target is either the A-23/5 or the A-23/5R (shooter's preference)

22 long rifle

Fired from a benchrest using separate front and rear support, must be free recoiling (no gun vises), but a bi-pod is fine if the shooter prefers.

Distance to target is 25 yards

Time limit - 1 hour for unlimited sighters at the top bull and 20 rounds for score at bulls #1, #2, #3, and #4 (five rounds at each).

You can shoot on an indoor range if it is your only option, but please report that fact in your post.

You can post multiple targets if each is fired with a different CZ. For example, a shooter could post one with her CZ FS and another with her CZ Trainer. You may shoot up to FOUR targets with EACH rifle and post the highest score fired with each one.

Post a pic of your target (required) and the equipment you used (optional) in this thread by December 31, 2020.

Honor system, and we couldn't ask for a more honorable bunch.

A spotting scope will be most helpful in determining hits and misses as you are shooting, but it is not required. Binoculars or a scoped rifle laying to the side can be used to spot as well.

Wind flags are fine. I usually tie a piece of bright streamer or the like to a hammered-in stake.

*Use this format to post your score(s):

Official Entry
12/25/2020
200-20X
Red Light (Rudolph)
CZ 455
Caldwell Rock front, Protektor rear
32*F, 5 mph, snow

This way I can simply save and insert your scores to the final results post at the end of the month. Thanks.

TARGETS?

http://www.americantargetcompany.com/small_bore_rifle_targets.asp

(seventh row down - the two variants are side by side)

Video showing open sight BR technique:

See less See more
1 1
#10 ·
12/04/2020
200-14X
Shorty123/Jack
CZ 452 Trainer Eley Action
42*F, 12 mph, cloudy

This is my last target for the season. Still have more fun shoot targets and the 100 yard Irons to shoot yet. Weather is deteriorating quick along with a busy month.

Thanks Lee for all your time and effort!!:bthumb:

It was a pleasure shooting with all of you fellows.:)

Have a great Holiday season and an enjoyable Hiatus.
Jack

Attachments

#11 ·
Trainer

I hope my new old stock 452 trainer is that accurate. Especially since I bought K's of the Eley AE 40 gr. The Eley does very well in my 452 LH, excellent practice ammo. When I shot a box of the Eley AE on different days with my LH 54-18 MS, Well lets just say it was slightly better than Thunderbolts. Terrible groups, the best was 1.3" at 25 yards. This definitely proves to me barrels can be very selective. b The 54 so far groups .32 on its first 100 rounds of SK+. I'll run another 50 of the Eley AE thru the 54-18 and my NOS 452 trainer on Saturday. That will tell me if I should give away that bad rifle (HAH).
Chris

#13 ·
I hope my new old stock 452 trainer is that accurate. Especially since I bought K's of the Eley AE 40 gr. The Eley does very well in my 452 LH, excellent practice ammo. When I shot a box of the Eley AE on different days with my LH 54-18 MS, Well lets just say it was slightly better than Thunderbolts. Terrible groups, the best was 1.3" at 25 yards. This definitely proves to me barrels can be very selective. b The 54 so far groups .32 on its first 100 rounds of SK+. I'll run another 50 of the Eley AE thru the 54-18 and my NOS 452 trainer on Saturday. That will tell me if I should give away that bad rifle (HAH).
Chris
The Eley action has done well for me even @ 100 yards out of a Remington 540X.
Both CZ's like it.
Lot# 40012 I am shooting now.
I still have K's of rounds left in 2 other lots.
What lot number are you shooting?

#15 · (Edited)
OFICIAL ENTRY

12/08/2020
196-8x
Pastprime (Hank)
CZ 455 Training Rifle, CMP Eley Bulk
Caldwell Rock front, Bald Eagle rear
43* F, 4-5 mph wind, Sunny

Just received a box of A23-5R targets with the white center and wanted to try them. They didn't help my score but it's 100% easier to see the holes. I shot bulls 1,2,4,3 so I made a little progress. Just don'g understand why they aren't all like the sighter....:rolleyes:.

Attachments

#18 ·
Not my best work, but I do really enjoy this game.

12/08/2020
Clem-E
CZ 455 training rifle, sk magazine
Caldwell Rock Deluxe front, Wiebad fortune cookie rear
60*F, calm, 1-2 mph, 1/2 value breeze

i didnt get any rifle pics today, but here is an older one.

#19 · (Edited)
******December Entry for this Rifle ******
12-10-2020
198-12X
Bigbluegill (Kirby)
CZ 457 Lux
Norma Tac22
Upper 60’s light winds

I got a chance to visit the range today. Weather was picture perfect .
I took my 457 Lux with a Nikon EFR scope on it with the intention of shooting in the scoped match with it . But one of my other CZ rifles I took , had a scope issue , so I stole the Nikon to go on the 455 and left the Lux bare .
I’m happy I did .
It’s been months since I’ve shot open sights , mainly because of my astigmatism makes it tough . But today , it wasn’t that bad for most of the time while shooting .
It was the most fun I’ve had shooting in awhile .
I shot two targets , the first one scored a 196-7X .
After playing with my two scoped rifles I shot another target and did a couple of points better .

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
Official Entry
12-9-20
192-2X
Tomcat21 Ted)
452 Ultra Lux, SK Rifle Match
Bald Eagle front, Protektor rear
59F, sunny, wind 5-10 mph

I shot this on 12/9/20, held off posting because I thought I'd have another chance to shoot last week, but instead had to spend every day for medical reasons.
I might get to go one more time next week if the weather holds. Bull No. 2, three shots through same hole (my best ever group .351"). Bull No. 4,
shot #4 at outer edge of No. 8 scoring ring at 10 o'clock, shot #5 at outer edge of No. 8 scoring ring at 7 o'clock. Lee, if I don't get a chance at another target,
I will revise this target to be my official entry.

#31 ·
shot a few and managed to get this one. takes a while to get back in the swing of things with irons.

12/08/2020
200-13x (plugged)
Clem-E
CZ 455 training rifle, eley target
Caldwell Rock Deluxe front, Wiebad fortune cookie rear
65*F, calm, 1-2 mph, 0 value breeze

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.