Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Vintage Burris Scopes?

5K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  SageRat22 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone here know much about them? I just bought a FWB 300S air rifle with a little 6X Burris on it. It seems like a nice little scope, very clear. The S/N is 004392.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know a lot about them but from what I have read and heard they are excellent little scopes and actually fairly sought after and still go for good money on eBay. I own a few Burris scopes a couple made in the USA and one or two philippine scopes and they are all very nice scopes. I have no plans on selling any of them anytime soon. They do also carry Burris's transferable lifetime warranty.

#3 ·
I have had Burris Fullfield scopes in the past.
Very well built and good glass.
Just had one I had to retire since it cant be repaired.
Called Burris and its too old.
Was told if it cant be repaired they would send me something comparable.
But they do not have anything in their line thats even close.
Its an older Fullfield 2 3/4 shotgun scope that has been on my '06 for at least 20 years.
Reticle came loose at the top.
Have a 1 1/2 -5 that has lived on one of my sons '06's just as long.

#4 ·
Looks to me like you have a scope from their 'compact' series from the late 1980's. I had several from that era that we put on customers rifles. As i recall they had a 4X, 6X and a 3X9. They were designed for the newer "short" actions. My favorite was the 6X. They didn't sell well because they were hard to mount on anything but short actions, great fit on a Ruger 77. To put them on long actions was hard difficult. They closed out at about $100, but now days they have a cult following and bring 3X's that, more for NIB. Great US made scope, when George Burris was still in Denver.

#9 ·
G'day,justinp61, i have a 6x HBR made in usa which features target turrets and parallax adjustment , fine crosshair and tiny dot ( and i mean tiny) crystal clear.:bthumb: Scott.:cool:
I had one of those scopes! I promptly sold it you have to have eyes of a eagle to see that itty bitty dot and super fine cross hair. It was a nice scope but I could not use it with my eyes.

#8 ·
yes

I have one sort of like it on my FWB 300jr. Gloss also but it has the adjustable objective that puts it into focus without parallax at pellet rifle range. Its fun to plink at shotgun shell empties and pieces of clay targets at 25 yards left on the prairie where I shoot.

I live in the Burris factory town of Greeley, CO and they have fabulous service. I had an old Signature that failed and they replaced it with a nice lit reticle scope that was worth at least $50 more than I could have sold mine for.

I would check yours for parallax at the distance you plan to shoot at and if not good either repurpose it on at least a longer distance .22 rifle or sell it and get something appropriate for your 300. It can also be adjusted up front to the shorter distance needed by you or the factory.

#12 ·
Those are nice little scopes. They were the smallest available at the time, and some people continue to prefer them. Keep in mind, though, that they are single coated with MF only, not multicoated like almost all scopes today, so not as much light transmission. Also, that era of Burris scopes are heavier than what is being produced today by Burris, due to the internals being made of brass instead of plastic...which sounds good, and is good from a wear and build-quality perspective, but weight is usually not your friend in optics, as the extra mass equates to greater inertia that can more easily tear up the internals or make them more easily dislodged. This is one reason Leupold has ruled the roost in durability: Leupold scopes are almost always the lightest in any class of scopes.

Probably too much information.

TBR

#13 ·
TMI? I don't think so. ;)

The Burris "Mini" series was/is a great bunch of scopes and some of my favorites (they are perfect for a lot of Ruger single shots, of which, I have a lot :eek:)
I have the scopes in 4X, 4X RF/AR (with parallax adj.), 6X, 6X HBR, 2-7X and 3-9X and 4-12XPA. Some of those I have multiples of. I also owned an rare 8X mini in the distant past that I wish I still had.

I'd be leery of a non-AR designated Burris Mini on a springer air rifle. They did make the AR compatible Minis in 4X, 6X and 4-12X.

My rule of thumb for scope mounting is that the scope should never be more than half the length of the barrel. Much more than that, and things look out of proportion to my eyes (that goes for overly large objective bells too), and I am about esthetics as much as anything when it comes to my guns. :)

#14 ·
yes

Since the air rifle in this example is the 300S, the cautions about using a non-air rifle scope might not apply as this springer seems to be non-recoil with its excellent sled design. Mine has never lost a scope but I did loose a few on some older twangy break barrels.

#15 ·
I have had mixed results with Burris. I sent one back that wouldn't hold a zero and they said it was too old to fix but for $100 more they'd replace it. I had another one that the reticle was noticeably canted. They said it was in spec and sent it back. I guess Leupold spoiled me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.