Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Steven 22/410 OU

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  James Cottrell 
#1 · (Edited)
Picked up another Gem at the Show this weekend. It is a pretty early example I believe as it still has the Patent Pending on the receiver and the side selector. Not in great shape and had to repair the stock some..But a pretty good looker yet.

Bores are very nice. Seems to work good and was priced right too. 175.00

Also picked up an early Lyman Alaskan off the same table from the guy for 20.00..I do not know what he was thinking there. So I pretty much bought the scope, and got a Free Stevens O/U, and more.

It is missing the rear sight elevator..Have to use one I have here, till I might find a original one.

Probably going to sell the Lyman Scope. Seems they are quite valuable.
Pic

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Thanks

Actually I do not think they got the Model 24 designation till they started being Savage branded..But almost identical. Seems Stevens never had a model designation other than 22/410

I think after Stevens they no longer had the sliding barrel selector on the side of the frame either. Went to a hammer located barrel selector.. No expert but I did read that.

I think also got to be really cheapened up after the Model 24 designation came along.

Again that was what I read:D

#8 ·
I think after Stevens they no longer had the sliding barrel selector on the side of the frame either. Went to a hammer located barrel selector.. No expert but I did read that.
That's not correct, as Dad (& later I) had a Savage 24 with the sliding barrel selector on the side of the frame. Savage 24C had the barrel selector on the hammer.

I learned something here; I didn't know Stevens made made the 22/410 before Savage did. Does your Stevens have a serial number? My Savage 24 didn't, as it was built way before the 68 GCA required SNs.

#9 ·
Nope no Serial number as expected from this vintage. I am no expert. Thanks for clearing it up that they went to the hammer selector on the 24CI think they were branded Stevens from the first year, 1939. Till around 1950 or so I think. Then the Savage 24 designation and markings came into play somewhere around that time.

I am sure the ones after 1968 GCA had the serial numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.