Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Mauser Model 201 Lux 22LR

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  rehabpro630 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for opinions:

What is a value range for an excellent 30 year old example?
I've read some blogs expressing concern for extraction and mag fit. Any comments on these things?

Thanks !

#2 ·
I really can't help you much, I had a 22 magnum lux, it was accurate, very well made, all round high quality. I had know problems with feeding or extraction. I sold it because I like to be able to drop 1 round in, single shot, without using the mag and it was pretty difficult with that rifle. Other than that, it was a real top drawer rifle.

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, the novel, so-called front locking lugs necessitate the breech face be located much more forward and deeper into the receiver ring, making single loading or extraction of stuck rounds or cases quite the pain. This also complicates feeding. The one I owned, a K-22, fed well enough, and I managed to locate extra magazines and a DST for it.

On pricing, the LUX with DST rifles were bringing insane money for awhile, especially the KDF versions. I saw one sell for $1750 10 years ago. Mine had the stained beech stock, matte metal finish, and open sights (kind of rare), along with the added DST and original standard trigger (no contrasting fore end tip, white line spacers etc.), and I think I got $1200 for it about three years ago...maybe five, but I'm afraid the one you're looking at is going to be a case of willing seller and willing buyer determining value.

I wrote a wordy review of mine several years back that you might find it helpful:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564057

TBR

#6 ·
I was looking at a nice example on GI.
On the GB completed sale listings one 22lr went for 1,299.00. Nice piece, but not a Luxus.
I like them a lot.
My interest piqued after reading Paull Green's (from Thames Valley Guns...England) article.
His last sentence in the piece: ' In the three years since I first wrote these notes I have yet to find a superior .22 rimfire rifle.'

I'm thinking since I've been unsuccessful in finding a Weihrauch HW60J, a Mauser would satisfy my desire for a not to old master built German engineered quality rifle in caliber .22LR.

#7 ·
My interest piqued after reading Paull Green's (from Thames Valley Guns...England) article.
His last sentence in the piece: ' In the three years since I first wrote these notes I have yet to find a superior .22 rimfire rifle.'
The remark of Mr. Green has gotten my interest. He writes a fairly good technical summary but I have read better reviews here on RFC. He is wrong when he writes : "On the left hand side of the receiver. German proof mark with inspector initials". There are no inspector initials but that is a date code. He could have also done a deeper research into the different branding of the Mauer/Voere/Kleinguenter rifle.

The shooting he did and posted is not very impressive and his deductions that "one hole groups" at 25m are within the rifles accuracy potential is making me wonder why he did not give more info, for instance on ammo used, if he shot the rifles and achieved those groups. The Walther KKJ/KKM, Weihrauch HW60J/M(with their L.Walther barrels) and the Anschutz 64 and 54 series have all proven that they are achieving this accuracy at 50m and his claim that these rifles will easily outperform more modern rifles, including Match rifles is quite ignorant. Competition shooters are always searching for the best platform and Anschutz and Walther rifles dominate the sport.

The Mauser 201 is without doubt a well built rifle and can quality wise be placed into the top group of rimfire sporters and if Paul Green likes his Mausers, that is great but they are by no means superior to other German sporters, or the Winchester 52. That is just my opinion and it differs from Pauls but then, I am into higher end rimfire sporters for over three years:D.

https://www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk/Mauser 201pt1.pdf

#8 ·
I bought a Mauser 201 in .22lr from a friend, mine had several very annoying traits the worst of which was it had two extractors and no holder on the bolt so often as not a fired casing flipped rearward jamming the works. As said single loading was near impossible and accuracy was no better than any of my Anschutz, Weihrauch rifles. My gunsmith basically rebuilt the bolt and I sold it as life is too short to shoot annoying rifles.

#9 ·
Reading the Paul Green (Thames Valley Guns) article again, I come away feeling this is a person whose comments are to be taken with an authoritative confidence. His background (documented on his web sight)and vocation supporting his 201 narrative.
So, me being an amateur relatively new into the appreciation of .22lr, I need to understand the differing take from the experienced and learned members of this sight and Mr. Green's.

It seems to me that Mr Green's comments and view are taken through the lens of a 'sporter', field shooter enthusiast as opposed to a 'match' enthusiast. His sight after all, specializing in sporters and military, refurbishing, rebuilding, and perfecting.

He describes shooting a 201 example with iron sights, needing a different front blade, and apparently not having been tuned prior to the exercise.
When he mentions outperforming more 'modern equivalents', he should have given the examples that he was considering. That was a big statement.
And, his comment about 'some target rifles', again, more clarity would have been an interesting consideration.

At any rate, I would like to handle and fire one someday. The only Mausers I have handled have been centerfire sporters put together and maintained by a gunsmith who loves the brand. Thus, in prime form and function.

#10 ·
I bought a Mauser 201 a few months ago, put a 4x20x50 Sightron on it and shot 50 yard 5 shot groups with 8 different loads. This rifle loves the lot of Wolf Match Extra I have (.256") and the lot of Wolf Match (German) (.280").
It didn't shoot the Ten-X, Federal Match or the others as well.
I found to have reliable ejection I need to lift the bolt, pause and then sharply pull the bolt back. Whenever I do that it extracts and ejects every time as should. If I forget to pause it does sometimes drop the brass before ejecting.
I find this rifle to be very high quality well worth the $1095.00 I paid. This rifle is a sporter weight and will out shoot my much heavier 52A and 1885 Winder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.