Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

FA CO2 bb assault rifles

4K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  Al the Infidel 
#1 ·
Any tips on an Xmas gift from me to me with lotsa love, shopping? I don't want a pistol btw.

#2 ·
Midwayusa has a Crosman DPMS SBR on sale for $169. The magazines are also on sale for $39. Its only 430 FPS though and is more of a fun toy than a serious rifle.

If you are willing to spend a lot more money, Hatsan has the Blitz for $949. It comes in .22, .25, or .30 caliber and has a lot more power. Its PCP powered though and requires support equipment to keep it charged with air.

#3 · (Edited)
Midwayusa has a Crosman DPMS SBR on sale for $169. The magazines are also on sale for $39. Its only 430 FPS though and is more of a fun toy than a serious rifle.
:bthumb:
Several Midway FA ones, while looking for something else, were the ones that got me started on this tangent.

The FA desire is for plinking and yard pests. :Blasting_ I never had a bb gun when I was a kid,.... just a slingshot and a 410 shotgun hence my 2nd wind on being a kid again cooped up with pandemic cabin fever. :)

#5 ·
I bought one last summer from midway with the two mag deal. I then bought a 25 bulk box of Co2 canisters and 7000 BBs from amazon. while it's a lot of fun to just do mag dumps, my buddies, and I had a blast. it just doesn't have the power it really needs. you can shoot 15 to maybe 20 yards max maybe if you are lucky. there are frequent jams and you only get 4 to 5 25 round mags out of the two Co2 cartridges. the fun part though is in full auto mode it will dump 25 BBs in about 1.5 seconds so that is pretty fun. the single-shot mode is ok but accuracy sucks it more spray and pray fun. if I had it to do over again I hate to say it but I would pass and buy a better more accurate rifle. the factory sights suck and I threw a set of Magpul genII sights on it and a cheap red dot and angled from grip because I don't care for quad rails. it is a toy and that's it nothing more.

#15 · (Edited)
This CO2 .177 bb gun is a gas guys! I've never shot a true gasser before and it was louder than expected, an audible plus. :D
A brief penetration test pierced a plastic corrugated target backer and one side of a standard cardboard box @ 12' in the basement with a fresh gas bottle.
I did some homework on lubing key points with silicone lube only and it seems to run at its full 430fps speed, fast! Just a guess but a short burst on target should put a chippy into chippy heaven or wishing it was. :)

More homework to be done on my end but my winter is long so....
The gun is a bit heavier than expected what with it being mostly metal and the top pic rail (anodlzed?) true as I slid the scope mount from one end to the other that was tight and slots matched up.
Mags are 2X heavier than similar size 556 mags and kinda funky to load with a supplied loader. There may be an improved mag out there but not my 2.

Think I'd prefer a dot, don't have, so the Bushy got the call. The Bushy and my progressive lens are not a good mix.

Part of the bolt reciprocates adding to the feel and the audible.

#18 ·
Update:
I removed the scope and got a 1# weight reduction down to 6.5#. Mags weigh 1.5#.
After re-installing the flip-up plastic factory sights the factory peep sight view was too small(fuzzy) for this old shootin eye so I drilled it out a bit larger and we're good to go.
The bad; after sighting in in single shot mode it shoots approximately 2" lower in FA at 20-25'.
4-5 mo. to go before chippy & grackle testing.

#19 ·
I think Boyle's Ideal Gas Law says that the faster you dump the mag, the faster your POI will drop and the more lower extremity amputations you'll be performing on chippies and grackles Al.

I'm just glad that you have a nice hobby :p

Frank

#22 ·
Dang you Staff Sgt Infidel! Went to my local gun pusher to pick up a 10/22 yesterday and up on his wall was a Crossman DPMS SBR in FDE. Apparently he brought a bunch in before Christmas and this was his last one.

He says, "I'll make you a deal!" And I said, "Oh no, I don't like BBs, they bounce." Then last night I had a dream about it and thought "Oh crap, here we go..."

I'm going to go pick it up in a little while. The gun, 6000 BBs, a 25 pack of cartridges and 2 spare mags for $200 cash, tax included.

Thanks for being one of RFC's many premier enablers!!! :bthumb:

Frank

#28 ·
Good morning Al, happy Saturday! I took the device down to the shop with best of intentions. Turned a cardboard pallet box into a BB catcher and let all the employees shoot it to their heart's content. They all loved it of course.

Next thing I know, my daughter/co-worker has commandeered it as a birthday present for her husband. I like the lad a lot so I imagine I'll get to shoot it over at his house :p

I did a survey on Pyramyd Air that they gave me $20 credit for so I ordered him a green/red dot sight and box of those frangible BBs to try. The included plastic sights are somewhat atrocious. I could barely see through the peep indoors.

Hope you're having fun with yours!

Frank

#29 ·
Didja miss me? :rolleyes:

I did a survey on Pyramyd Air that they gave me $20 credit for so I ordered him a green/red dot sight and box of those frangible BBs to try. The included plastic sights are somewhat atrocious. I could barely see through the peep indoors.

Hope you're having fun with yours!

Frank
The Gamo laser sight I ordered did not work, nor did it with new batts. Thankyouverymuch Gamo. :mad:
I drilled out the rear peep a bit larger and I can see well enough with it now Crunch.

So far I've sprayed 2 families of geese including the babies @ 20ish yds, in water!, with no ill effects on the geeses but great visual effects for the shooter. :D:D

IMA one of the 2 mags will not hold a CO2 charge for 6 days after only one mag dump. Dunno about tuther.

#30 ·
Good morning Staff Sgt Infidel! Yeah, the low end reflex sights are hit and miss...literally. Some are surprisingly good but that's not the norm.

Hey, are you putting a drop of pellgun oil (or similar) on the piercing nipple of the CO2 cartridges before you install them? That helps the seals hold gas longer.

Glad you're having fun with it. I've been shooting the one we gave the son-in-law for his birthday every time we go over to their house. He found an archery target to use as a target holder and so far it's containing the BBs no problem.

Cpl Dilaschmuckatash

#31 ·
No pellgun or the like @ the fish shack unless I use sumpin else.

My loader tip piece that holds a bb keeps falling off if the stars aren't aligned krekly or I twitch when I should twatch. Wassa a good glue for that type of plastic ya think?

Cpl. Hobbleglobber

#32 ·
Any 10 weight or lighter light machine oil will work Al. Not 3-in-1 but you might have some sewing machine or fishing reel oil laying around. If not, link below, or just use ATF. A small drop on the tip of the cartridge every time you put a new set in will do wonders for helping the mechanism hold pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-241-...=1&keywords=PELLGUN+OIL&qid=1621955007&sr=8-5

There are so many different plastics it's hard to make a recommendation Al but if it were me I'd start with a little superglue (cyanoacrylate) and see how it holds. https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-We...1&keywords=plastic+glue&qid=1621955162&sr=8-5

Carry on my wayward son ;)

Phronk

#33 ·
I has some Hot Sauce included with an old Quantum fishing reel thats better than sperm whale oil. :)

Gettin smarter in old age and my last super glue purchase was the little one time use squeeze tubelets packs. Freaking thing popped off the first time I loaded up a mag.
Had a family of 6 geeselets n parents in this am but the neighbor has treehugger company so bottle rockets were deployed. I only have two big boomers left from the last july 4th works. So many enemies and so little munitions left. I have no bayonet for my bb AR!! :eek:

#34 ·
You might try one of these if yours is FUBAR Al https://www.amazon.com/Umarex-Steel...dd645&pd_rd_wg=A4FY5&pd_rd_i=B003FD2534&psc=1

It is illegal here to have even sparklers let alone Lord forbid something that goes bang so I would know nothing about the alleged shopping bag full of Missouri sourced whistling bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, ****** lighters, Cherry bombs, nipsy dazers, and whistling kitty-chasers that may or may not be sitting on a shelf out in my garage :D

Have fun old man!

Phrank

#35 ·
You might try one of these if yours is FUBAR Al https://www.amazon.com/Umarex-Steel...dd645&pd_rd_wg=A4FY5&pd_rd_i=B003FD2534&psc=1

:bthumb:

It is illegal here to have even sparklers let alone Lord forbid something that goes bang so I would know nothing about the alleged shopping bag full of Missouri sourced whistling bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, ****** lighters, Cherry bombs, nipsy dazers, and whistling kitty-chasers that may or may not be sitting on a shelf out in my garage :D

Have fun old man!

Phrank
Well that sucks! Fireworks are now legal in MI. No more running to the cheesehead state and then driving home super nice.

#36 ·
My SBR(short barreled rifle) still had enough gas left to spray a flock of lawn crapping geese @ 25yds on the water with what sounded like full power after 2 days of sitting idle.... the filthy animals. Ya can't beat the sound and visual effects when shooting on water @ 1,400 bb's per minute.

#39 ·
Back to the shack and rearmed with the FA bb gun once again. Gun was left charged with one CO2 for over 2 weeks and after reloading let off a string of 25 bb's into the wild blue water with what felt like full power. That gem of a mag has been duly noted, especially by a dented corner. :) Tuther mag's good for a couple days before the gas leaks out. I'll give the online fix a try but not optimistic of long lasting success. Vermin beware!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.