Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Basic questions on SC with rimfire...

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  PaleoMan 
#1 ·
I picked up my first rimfire pistol, Ruger Mark IV 22/45, and have cleaned it and will start testing it out. Besides doing some training to work on trigger control, I'd like to give a go at SC next year (seasons over for this year in my area).

Do folks go through the extra precautions of using the safety, on stages?

Specifically, would one do the follow, when preparing for the stage...

• Remove flag and lock back slide.
    Put on safety
    Insert mag
    Rack
    Take sight picture, move through targets
    Then, turn off safety and point to flag (ready)

At end of string...

• Engage safety
    Insert new mag
    Do any sight pictures, if desired
    Turn on safety and point to flag (ready)

And on end of final string...

• Turn on safety
    Remove mag
    open chamber to eject cartridge, if any, and lock slide back
    Turn on safety?
    Insert flag and release bolt
    case

Or would one leave off the safety entirely?

Also, I read that one should store the Mark IV loaded (obviously) or cocked. Does that mean I should go to a safety table and...

• Insert empty mag
    Remove flag and close bolt
    Take off safety
    Pull trigger
    Remove mag
    Store in case

I'm used to centerfire pistols, but this is the first rimfire I've tried.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Excited for you, shooting rimfire pistol in steel challenge is a lot of fun ! I do not use my safety at all , the RO should ask you to show clear and bag it after stage is complete. I have shot at a range that asked me to put on safety once but it is not required in rules . I hope that helps , if you have more questions you can ask me .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
In Steel Challenge it's important to remember the commands.

Make Ready - this is the start of the course of fire. You can uncase the gun, take a sight picture, load it and prepare for the signal

Are you ready? - you can or acknowledge or stay silent. Lack of a negative answer means you are ready

After the fifth string:
If you are finished, unload and show clear - drop the mag, rack the slide, show the empty chamber to the RO

If clear, hammer down and holster - in the case of Rimfire pistol close the slide and bag it. You do not have to hammer down a Rimfire. If a Rimfire rifle then you have to flag it. Personally I flag my Rimfire pistols as well, but not required

Safety is the key as well as having fun. Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I would be careful about taking a sight picture while loaded, just due to how that can be a DQ if the finger slips from frame onto trigger.

Sight Pictures: The competitor will have a maximum of one minute after the Make Ready command to prepare for the run.Sight pictures may be taken during the Make Ready process and while preparing for the next string. Note: Should the competitor experience an accidental discharge while taking a sight picture a disqualification under rule 8.2.1 shall be issued​

#9 ·
I know you don't have to put the safety on between strings but I always put mine on before I load my new magazine and only take it off after I've moved from the flag to the first target. Just an old habit from centerfire shooting.

With the Mark IV it's no problem but I can see not putting the safety on when using an earlier model because they are more difficult to get to. I've never seen one of my competitors put their safety on between strings. It's not in the rules and it's a personal thing for me.

I do take a sight picture between runs so that when I come off the flag my sight will automatically move to the first target. I set my stance, look at my sight on target then while looking at the target I lower the gun and point it at the flag.

This little change has helped me eliminate at least 1/2 second from my first shot and that adds up during a match.

#10 ·
Yeah, a fellow shooter had mentioned the trick of looking at the first steel plate, while pointing the gun at the flag. He had also mentioned squaring my hips to the stop plate, and then unwinding, when there is a case of the stop plate on one end of the stage (e.g. five to go?).

I was told I didn't need to have the safety on, but have been wondering about whether to do it. I usually shoot with a Walther (no safety), though I did get a 1911, so it may be worth while going through the motion, in between strings.

I just hope I don't forget to turn it off... :) Have seen a few people do the point, click, no bang, and then realize they forgot to turn off the safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.