Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

513T from '49

6K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  Signmaster 
#1 · (Edited)
After talking shooting with my FIL on a recent visit, he loaned me a 513T as we were getting ready to leave from our visit. Seems he went through quite a few cases of ammo in his day, and i think the 513 was from before he got an Anshutz later on in life. I was really shocked, as he did some match stuff back in the day and won a few trophies with his toys. I assured him it will be cleaned up and returned to him in better shape than it is currently.

It's well used, and appears bone stock. The finish isn't great, nor is the stock. The bore looks to be in fairly good shape from what I can tell from a visual without a bore scope. It's got the Redfield 75 rear, and globe 68 on the front. It appears to have factory tapped barrel, and it looks like the rear tappings held a scope or hood at some point.

I think the screw off for the globe front is going to need a soaking, it's really snug and not moving. The rear sight needs a really good clean up as well, but the windage moves. The elevation needs some soaking. Several areas have accumulated some type of varnish looking stains, hopefully it will clean up.

The trigger has very little travel and breaks clean, and is reasonably light. I don't have a gauge, but I'd guess in the 2-3 pound range. The travel is really short though, and I really don't have any high end triggers, so it should be fine for me.

I've seen the stuff on the headspace, and misc good cleaning tips and such. I think I'll give it a basic cleaning and then shoot it some to see what it might do. Then from there, regardless of how it shoots, I'll either deal with it myself or have a local shop do some restoration. I'll do the stock myself either way, and I'm still on the fence on the blueing and such until I give it a good deep cleaning.

Hope it shoots well. I haven't shot a peep sight in quite a while, so I hope my eyes are up to it. Hopefully I can get the front globe loose to change inserts if needed.

I did some offhand shooting with my low budget Rossi a few weeks ago, and determined I was REALLY out of practice. But the extra weight and barrel balance of the 513 seems much more stable to me. Hopefully it will up my offhand game and possibly be a decent bench shooter as well.

I'll post up some photos once I get time to get some in decent light. I want to document the process, and it's killing me to not start cleaning it up first!

See less See more
#2 ·
What a great gift! I have two 513ts and some other 5-teen guns. All are really cool old guns. And, the ones with aperture sights are exceptionally accurate. My 511, with only the buckhorn style rear, is very accurate for what it is. But aperture sights are where it’s at for me.

#5 ·
Ah--the joy of vintage blued steel and walnut!!!:bthumb: I have a -T model with grooved receiver which has a broken stock that has been repaired/glued. Shoots good for me. As an old rifle team member from ROTC days I do love peeps too. With a bad back, shoulders, and knees, position shooting is no longer fun for me, so it is a case of sitting at the bench and trying to read the wind.

Good luck and it will be interesting to watch your process/progress.

#6 ·
I should see what secrets exist in the bore later today. Initial clean up showed that he kept the bore reasonably if not very clean, but wasn't big on the appearances or external finish. A lot of carbon in the gun, so he enjoyed it more than cleaned it. :gun4:

So far, everything appears to be cosmetic. I still have hope it will be a good shooter.

The rear sight elevation finally moves after several soakings, and it cleaned up fairly well. I did a basic clean for now, and might polish it up when I find time. The outer surfaces of the barrel have some minor pitting, but enough to take from the finish. It might clean up and be a decent looker with some more cleaning and wax, but it will never be a show piece by any means.

He has stayed cautious during COVID, and goes out very little. He also has vision problems in his right eye. But I'm hoping once I get this thing cleaned up and dialed in some I can get him out so we can have a lefty shoot out. Being we are both right handed we might both suck, but at least it would be fun.

#7 ·
Mine is from 1954 and was my 13th birthday gift from my Dad. Still in great shape and with the open sights, it will stay in the 10 ring 10X10X at 100 yards. I don't shoot it much as I have several M52's and a few others, but my Dad is gone now, and it is a remembrance along with the Colt Woodsman he gave me. Big Larry

#8 · (Edited)
Had some time to do more cleaning today. The bore wasn't quite as clean as expected, but not really bad either. It's shooting ready now, and looks much better.

I decided that for now I'll just clean it a little more and shoot it to see how it does. The stock is almost an all or nothing decision at this point, so I left it alone for now.

Some before photos attached. I'll get some after photos when I have some time.

I'd love to go shoot it tomorrow, but a range trip is probably out of the question. Too many family things to do, and I need to finish a computer upgrade for my daughter as well.

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
Some before photos attached.

I can't really even get in any solid 25 yard stuff until I get some front globe inserts. The one with the rifle has a really small aperature (2mm) and a large surround (7mm total). Due to that, it blocks most targets at 25 yards fairly bad, and keeps me from getting the proper sight picture. I almost think I would shoot it better without an insert at this point.
If you need Redfield 60-series inserts (and that's what I think I see), these will work, as will these from Shaver.

#9 ·
She looks a bit rough around the edges, but I'd wager she's still a solid shooter. I own and actively shoot a '48 that is original and has been well cared for over the years. The aperture class matches at 100 yards at my local are tremendous fun. My 513-T holds her own. I have used SK Long Range Match and Lapua Center-X with success.

#10 ·
Except for the stock it cleaned up decent. If it's a shooter it won't much matter to me what it looks like.

As it turns out I did make it to the range today, but didn't take the 513. I didn't have a case it would fit in and didn't want to be the guy just walking in with a rifle in a towel or something! :rolleyes:

Hopefully next weekend. By then I should have the after initial cleaning photos up.

#11 · (Edited)
Butt plate markings?

Got her all cleaned up and should shoot it later unless COVID restrictions have the range too busy to get a lane. All things considered it cleaned up fairly well.

Does anyone have any idea what the butt plate markings are? The same marking is on the stock. I'm assuming some type of QA inspection marking.

Also curious on the rear Redfield. Did they ever make any that actually had markings for both the minutes and yards? It just always seemed strange to me to mark minutes but not yards.... maybe something to scribe in depending on the rifle ballistics?

Edited to add.... Bah! Those close shots really shot how bad the rear peep was and still is in some areas. My focus was on getting it functional, and later deep cleaning should get the areas I didn't notice much with the naked eye. That gunk on the inside of the elevation knob is making me cringe. Life with good phone cameras and big computer monitors are causing me extra work!

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
I was thinking something along those lines. Being I don't have any of the government or rework markings, it caught my eye.

Got some rounds through the rifle today. I think it shoots better than my eyes. I didn't have a properly sized bull for the front globe aperature, but close. I took several sizes of target bulls to see that the sights and my eyes could make work. So with the oversized bull, I did ok. I tried to switch to the B/W and kept loosing the target picture. That and old man eyes did me in. But I think if I get the right target contrast and the right size insert and target combinations I can get the groups fairly tight.

This is the first time I've shot any type of peep sight in a long time. And on the better target, I knew two of the fliers were me.

The crap target is obvious. The four were at 50 ft to check the sight out, since it had been removed and was last used by another shooter. Then I moved it back to 75 ft for the rest of that target. I shot the crap target after about 10 on the high vis target, then when I tanked I went back.

Attachments

#15 ·
I'll have to keep that in mind. For now I'm stuck with the 25 yard indoor range I belong to, but really enjoy shooting greater distances. I might wait and see if the local outdoor range runs any deals soon.... right now it's on the pricey side of things and they have limited pistol shooting area so not a great deal for me.

I can't really even get in any solid 25 yard stuff until I get some front globe inserts. The one with the rifle has a really small aperature (2mm) and a large surround (7mm total). Due to that, it blocks most targets at 25 yards fairly bad, and keeps me from getting the proper sight picture. I almost think I would shoot it better without an insert at this point.

I might try a solution I came up with, but I'm not sure if it's going to work or not... and even then it would leave me limited to custom target sizes. I think I'll just buy a pack of the inserts, and then maybe look into getting some acrylic ones laser cut.

I still think the rifle has more potential than my vision does, but I'm going to find out. :D

#20 ·
I'd go for a post or just about any other insert if I had one. The problem is, for now, I have only that one.

My daughter wanted low dollar Christmas ideas, so I sent her a link to the Lee Shaver inserts. I hate to wait, but I'd rather she spend money on something I'll use. I'm more familiar with shooting posts from my military days, but I'll experiment and see which ones I like most.

I really don't understand the design of the insert in the rifle now. The outer blocking ring is wider than the actual aperture in the center.

#22 ·
I've strongly considered that, but have concerns that just a little too much drill bit bite might leave it off center or trash it otherwise. If I had to cut or file it off, I might end up with a low and thicker post, which might still work. And I think there is plenty of rear sight adjustment to deal with it.

#23 ·
513t

Sure is nice to have an assortment of inserts. I have a Merit adjustable rear, really made a difference for me. My rubber eyepiece was a little distorted from being stored in a case, I sent my Merit back to the factory, they cleaned, replaced rubber eyepiece, shipped to me, for $21. What a deal.

#25 ·
Apertures n moore has Redfield apertures in various sizes. Not overly expensive so you can order a small assortment. Recently picked up a couple more for my CZ.

As an aside, back when i used to shoot black powder cartridge silhouette , i shot my best with the largest front insert from a Lee Shaver set and adjusted my rear as small as the light would allow. For reference, the animals were roughly 3 MOA by 5 MOA in size.

#32 ·
The proper sized 100 yd. Target...

Is a TQ-4P paper target. I shoot my 1945 commercial one with the original Redfield set. My 1966 US marked one currently carries a 36power Sightron SII mounted on an EGW cantilever mount. If I do my part, it has been shooting 250s at the 50ft weekly indoor shoot.

#33 ·
Is a TQ-4P paper target. I shoot my 1945 commercial one with the original Redfield set. My 1966 US marked one currently carries a 36power Sightron SII mounted on an EGW cantilever mount. If I do my part, it has been shooting 250s at the 50ft weekly indoor shoot.
But for which front insert?

The one I got with the rifle is small. Approx 2mm opening, and then the black surround shrouds it out to 7mm. At 25 yards, I couldn't even see an entire 2" target with the insert.

Even with the drilled hole, it might not open it up much. I got it to a little bit over 3mm, but after the oops incident decided not to try farther. The trick is clamping it with enough room left over to drill.

It still isn't quite perfect, but I think I'll give it a go until the new inserts get in. It can't get much worse than it was, and if I have to I can take the insert out.

#34 · (Edited)
Well a couple of updates. First, the slightly mangled original insert. I couldn't get a good shot straight on, but overall it's not nearly as bad as it looks. The hole is slightly off center, and the entire disc also slightly off. You can see how the post ripped sort of, and I was scared too much tweaking would bust it off.

I think it's all centered enough to give it a go until the others get here.

I hadn't noticed the burr just above the post when taking the photos, but now on a large screen there it is. I think that is probably the point where the bit grabbed as it went through.

The whacked angle of the post seemed like it would easy to ignore when looking through the rear sight.

Attachments

#35 · (Edited)
Then, a find I noticed some time back, but just finally took the time to figure out. It looks like at some point the rifle I have wore an Olympic rear sight, as evidenced by the cutout on the stock. You can see where the finish varies, and it's not a plant quality cut. For those reasons I suspect a do it yourself job, or a gunsmith that was better with metal than he was with wood.

I see no other reason why the stock would be cut, but if there were other sight types that needed that cutout I'd be interested in hearing about the possibilities that anyone knows of.

I hope to have time to get it to the range tomorrow. I was planning on going today, but ended up pressed for time.

Attachments

#37 ·
Just a suggestion for enlarging holes is thin metal inserts. Do not use a drill bit but instead use a Dremel tool with a cone shaped carbide bit. This will allow you to grind the hole to the desired size without snagging the edge of the thin metal and it is easy to do.

John

#40 ·
Got it out to shoot today, and the globe drill job did ok. At least I can see a target center of a few inches now. Needed a bigger hole to fit my vision.

I did have a couple rounds that jammed. It seems the magazine play is letting them gouge the round going in now and then. I thought I had it sorted out, but I think I need to play with the magazine and release/spring. Both rounds chambered, but didn't fire, even with a second strike. I think the metal kept them from seating properly all the way, but didn't want to try to fire them again due to projectile damage and not wanting to cram it in the chamber.

As it is, the magazine can be pushed up too far and cause feed problems. If it's down at the lower part of that play, it's usually ok. It also seems to have some play side to side when it's up farther, so that just makes the problem worse.

But I knew it might be a project. And at the rate I'm going, I'll need the time to adapt back to the peep sights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.