Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Charger build advise

6K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  Rick67 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm in the beginning stages of a build project. I have been looking at the odin chassis. I like both models and can't decide which to get. Suppressers aren't legal in democrat state so the barrel i want would be a carbon fiber style about 8"-10"long i guess so that it would look good in the chassis. I cant anyone other then volquartsen making a short carbon barrel.
The tac hammer looks cool although I'm not sold on the cantilever mount idea.

I think I'm gonna use a feddersen receiver that I have. Bad part is its chrome color. I was thinking of sending it to get powdercoated.

I just ordered a Franklin armory binary trigger.

With all that being said i wonder if its not just better off ordering a complete charger lite takedown and put a sb brace on it and call it good (after I put the binary trigger in it).
Being a takedown doesn't really thrill me. It wouldn't work in the odin chassis if i decide at a later date. Maybe I'm to hung up on the odin, idk.

Advise? See a therapist?

#2 ·
I didn't know Feddersen made a Charger receiver. If you have a regular Feddersen 10/22 receiver you can't legally make it a Charger. A Charger is a pistol. You can't make a pistol out of a receiver that was built for a rifle. You could apply for your Federal tax stamp and make it an SBR.

#3 ·
I know the charger is a pistol......i got the feddersen stripped receiver as an empty receiver, no barrel mounted on it. 4473 filled out as receiver, not declared as rifle or pistol. I would presume that would allow me to legally turn it into a charger. Just drawing from buying AR stripped lowers to use as pistol builds.
So you gonna tell me it's not the same?

#4 ·
You may build your Fedderson receiver into whatever you want, pistol or rifle, but I would suggest pistol first so you can then legally go back and forth from pistol to rifle at will.

In regards to a chassis system, you're the one who needs to decide if spending up to 2/3 the cost of a complete OEM Charger pistol on only a chassis system is worth it to you. The OEM Ruger Charger stocks offer either a provision for mounting a picatinny type brace or already come equipped with this option, so outside of just "looking cool" IMHO the chassis systems offer no real advantage - other than lightening your wallet.

Of course there will be those who disagree, having spent their money on a chassis system to prove it ;)

#7 ·
What's your goal with this? Least expensive chassis? Lightest? Coolest looking? Best features? Most versatile? Best with a handguard?

I have owned 4 different chassis, and my 5th is on the way. I'm happy to offer some advice, but you should decide what you are trying to accomplish first.
Money is not an issue but yet I dont want to make a dumb buy and waste money. I want simple and light weight. Folding brace and angled hand guard or finger stop. Needs to look good.
I dont want anything with a AR buffer tube, dont like mixing 10/22 with AR components.

#16 ·
Just a few questions.
1. So if I buy a stripped receiver that was originally serialized as a rifle then I need an SBR stamp to turn it into a charger?
2. If I buy a stripEd receiver that was originally serialized as a charger then I’m OK with keeping it as a charger or turning it into a rifle and then turning it back into a charger?
3. If I buy a receiver that has never been part of a rifle or a charger then i can make Either a charger or a rifle but if I make it a rifle first then I can’t turn it into a charger without getting an SBR stamp?

I asked these questions because my Illinois FFL would not transfer striped receivers to me because they could become chargers and As I am in Indiana resident they are not allowed to transfer pistols to me.

Additionally while I understand that the word charger on a Ruger receiver means that it was a charger and the absence of the word charger means that it was a rifle how would I know what a stripped used aftermarket was qualify for?

#17 ·
Just a few questions.
1. So if I buy a stripped receiver that was originally serialized as a rifle then I need an SBR stamp to turn it into a charger?
YES
2. If I buy a stripEd receiver that was originally serialized as a charger then I'm OK with keeping it as a charger or turning it into a rifle and then turning it back into a charger?
YES
3. If I buy a receiver that has never been part of a rifle or a charger then i can make Either a charger or a rifle but if I make it a rifle first then I can't turn it into a charger without getting an SBR stamp?
YES
I asked these questions because my Illinois FFL would not transfer striped receivers to me because they could become chargers and As I am in Indiana resident they are not allowed to transfer pistols to me.
Receivers are transfered as: 'Other' on the 4473, since they are not a firearm of any type (cannot chamber or fire a round of ammunition)
Additionally while I understand that the word charger on a Ruger receiver means that it was a charger and the absence of the word charger means that it was a rifle how would I know what a stripped used aftermarket was qualify for?
You cannot know with 100% certainty, unless the manufacturer doesn't ship/sell complete firearms... then you only know it was shipped/sold as a receiver.

#18 ·
So the Illinois issue could’ve been just because they can only sell me a rifle not an other or a pistol.

Your last statement is a little vague. My striped receivers are shipped as receivers, but if they were from kid which makes a rifle then how would I get it to be a charger?

#21 ·
So the Illinois issue could've been just because they can only sell me a rifle not an other or a pistol.

Your last statement is a little vague. My striped receivers are shipped as receivers, but if they were from kid which makes a rifle then how would I get it to be a charger?
I was referring to buying used stripped receivers other than a Ruger Charger.

If you buy a used Kidd receiver, you have no way of knowing if it came from a 'Rifle", since Kidd ships both rifles and bare receivers. Unless Kidd will tell you how that serial number was shipped.

If the used stripped receiver came from a maker like Brownells, since they don't sell complete rifles in 10/22 flavor, then it is likely ok.

#19 ·
Something to keep in mind. The BATF has already made noises about pistol braces. Right now they are on a 60 day hold. If Trump wins they may quiet down. If Biden wins expect the pistol braces to go away along with AR and AK rifles and you can kiss 2A goodbye. It can and will be done and that will just be the start. :mad:

#20 ·
NO. The BATFE has announced a 60 day suspension of the "Honey Badger" pistol cease and desist order. This decision involves ONLY THE HONEYBADGER PISTOL MODEL w/BRACE AS MANUFACTURED BY Q, LLC, so please stop spreading misinformation.

If the pistol brace decision had been reversed across the board then the same cease and desist order would have gone out to every other firearm manufacturer producing and selling pistols with braces, but such is not the case.

#26 ·
I bought a Charger a year or 2 ago with the intend of bracing it but I've done nothing with it since I bought it----now in the current climate and lack of brace parts available, I'm just going to turn it into rifle.

I really don't like how it is in pistol form---probably just make it a basic gun with a take off barrel and a Hogue stock.

#27 ·
I bought a couple braces about two weeks ago. That hurt. But I am inclined to agree, sort of. I sold a Charger last night, and am scraping together a bunch of spare parts to build one for a friend this week. Some of my Chargers are getting rifle barrels, since I had two WhistlePigs. But I'll keep the braces and short barrels, just in case. ;)

#28 ·
So stupid question. If it turns out a pistol with a pistol brace is going to be taxed because it can be shouldered is the ATF also going to say a rifle with a pistol brace a short barrelled rifle because a pistol brace is not a shoulder stock? I'm not sure these people know what they're doing. I'm quite sure I don't know what they're doing.

#33 · (Edited)
Well im the OP so I will revert back to my original questions and issues.
I got my feddersen reciever cerakoted and installed the franklin binary trigger. The cerakote made installing the pins a challenge. I got the odin chassis and out the sb brace on, looks great. No barrel yet. Now the issue...the take down screw holes in the reciever and the chassis don't line up. Screw will not thread in. I don't know what to do next. This sucks.

#37 ·
Idk. I called and talked to Bob who was very nice and took some time to talk me through taking some measurements of the hole location om the reciever. Seems to be properly located. .350" right to left and .250" from the front. I emailed him the pic and he's gonna look at it and think about it and call me back tomorrow.

#39 ·
Not all receivers have the same dimensions, especially the rear section.

I could never fit my Feddersen receiver into any of my Tony Mele stocks, but my TI ones mate with them just fine, although extremely tight with nary a grating sensation to them.

The interference fit allows me to invert the rifle (heavy barrel installed) without the action dislodging from the stock sans action screw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.