Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ruger MK IV AMMO?

14K views 29 replies 26 participants last post by  matt89134 
#1 · (Edited)
Picking up a MK IV soon, I hope, but I'm curious.
What are you all feeding yours?
I'm not a target shooter.
I like the Ruger Standards for many reasons, but mostly because I go out and about a lot and they're everything *I* need for walkabout when I don't carry a full size 9mm, or .45.
I've been out of the firearms 'loop' for a bit, and the rimfire ammo has changed more than a bit.
When carrying a pocket pistol I use to love Stingers, but a MK series really is more of a 'backpack' gun...
What would you all suggest?

#5 ·
What would you all suggest?
LG,

Believe you'll enjoy a Ruger Mk .22 Rimfire Pistol...great choice!

When buying new, there can be a period where action-bolt-springs and any moving parts will break-in, smooth out and function easier. For this reason, I started out with CCI Mini-Mags 40g HV 1235fps CPRN ammo that not only cycled my new MkIV's perfectly, but left little residue (clean burning) and proved to be very accurate! Discovered the CCI MM's also worked Great in my MkII's, MkI and Standards!!

I was able to purchase 8 bricks of it @ $.05/round, so looks like I'll be using MM's for all of my shooting fun!! :D

Ted

#14 ·
CCI standard is my pistol’s favorite.

Now mine is an integral suppressed pistol, so it can be finicky with anything that has any coating, such as Eley or Aguila.

I also switched all of my magazines to Stainless steel. They are smoother in action for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#16 ·
I ran a couple hundred rounds of CCI MM HP thru my Mark IV Standard to verify the accuracy and reliability because that’s the round I prefer to take to the woods. I then started working on sighting in over 3-4 shooting sessions. First session I corrected the windage and then I started SLOWLY removing metal from top of front sight to raise poi. Every few strokes of a fine cut file I would shoot a few groups to check poi. I did that over 3-4 shooting sessions. Did I say take it SLOW.

Also, while removing metal from top of front sight, keep the sight perfectly square and keep muzzle end of sight very slightly lower than sighting end. I wanted a lot of metal behind the sighting end of sight. Take your time and don’t rush. The sides of my sight will almost cut.

I like for my poi to be so that when aiming at the bottom of a 1 inch dot @ 25 yards to hit center of the 1 inch dot when all the stars align up. When mine started shooting just barely above the front sight, I stopped right there not wanting to chance raising poi too much. I cold blued top of sight.

For me to hit fired shot shells, I have to place sight on shell. I would prefer to place top of sight at bottom of shell, but like I said above, I don’t want to chance taking off too much metal.

I have found that my sight in is working for every 22 rimfire I’ve fired in it.

Hope that helps.

#17 ·
Picking up a MK IV soon, I hope, but I'm curious.
What are you all feeding yours?
I'm not a target shooter... (truncated)?
Mine shoots everthing I ever fed it, suppressed or not, as does my MK III, unsuppressed (not threaded.) These are really forgiving pistols. That is why when a newbie asks me what pistol they should purchase, I point them at Ruger MK "X" target pistols, bull and long barrel.

If you want to learn to shoot pistols, you want to shoot lots (cheap!) and you don't want to deal with recoil. Everthing you learn on a 22LR is applicable to any centerfire you might purchase in the future.

I had my MK II "tuned" and it will now shoot nothing reliably except for subsonic, but that is not Bill Ruger's fault.

#18 · (Edited)
Mine sometimes doesn’t cycle with CCI standard . Eats Aguila standard velocity like candy. It also liked the Winchester 555 bulk and Federal auto match. And of course NEVER had an issue with mini mags.

Interesting note with CCI standard... if I put the suppressor on it.... runs like a champ. Extra back pressure I guess??? Not sure why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·

My Mark IV will run just about anything I feed it. The Black Mamba works best with HV ammo...the favorite being Blazers. I also use CCI Mini Mags and Aguila Super Extra.

I just picked up a few boxes of Federal 525 pack of 36 grains in the Blue Box. I'm hoping they work in the Mamba but if not I'm sure the stock IV will run them.

#26 ·
I have a ½ gallon plastic pretzel container that I use as my “catch all” from partial boxes…has everything from sub-sonic to hyper velocity in it, it’s my plinking supply, if I had to guess there’s probably couple thousand in it. Like you, I’m not a target shooter; however I can hold my own against some of the better shooters at our local club target shoot. I have a MKIV 22/45 Tactical that runs everything in that container to date; it’s fun to watch the look on people’s faces that haven’t shot out of that container…couple shots of standard velocity, then a sub sonic, then a hyper velocity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.