Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Moly-Fusion again

5K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Al the Infidel 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok ok, this time its a SS Heavy entry to be. It qualified SuperStock with the original barrel in a plastic stock bedded with the real duct tape.

I gave my Remmy 597-22, rebarreled with a threaded VQ barrel with comp, its first dose of Moly yesterday. As its a tensioned wrapped carbon fiber tube I didn't get it quite as warm as a steel tube as the CF is difficult to feel the temps. The heat gun was aimed at the muzzle end in a 3" tube so I checked/felt the receiver while warming it up. Dang new swab was too tight so I warmed it back up a bit while I shaved some of the fur off the swab. I saved all my old swabs but they were females and I no longer have the rod that fit em.

Today I'll put 10 rds of Minimags thru it in the basement to burnish the Moly in before treatment #2.

I still have a fair amount of the MF left as I got the 2 oz. kit way back when from Jon after a lengthy chat on the phone. This one is the 6th or 7th barrel so the MF goes pretty far if one isn't too sloppy/wasteful during applications.

___The wife's sistas are here again for a powwow and lunch. Said my polite hellos etc. and back to the man cave to burnish in a mag of Minimags rapid fire from the hip and apply the 3rd n final shlopping of MF to the bore. Rapid-fire from the hip burnishing in after the 2nd app was fun while filling the mancave air with smoky leaded goodness. I got the barrel toasty this time.

Changed my mind on the glass and will add a Weaver Classic 6-24 Varminter FD dot and put the metal in this bedded stock as seen this file photo.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210561&stc=1&d=1585108175

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
No ammo dumps in the basement Swiss. But, testing is done in the basement with a target backer comprised of 4x4s and 2x4"s all screwed together.

We have a 70+ yr old log cabin on a walleye, pike, n perch lake I checked on yesterday, still snowed in, and caught this 5.25# steelhead/rainbow off the bridge on the river that runs thru 'our lake'. Seagull wife loves eating fresh fishes. :)

Post interruption break: whacked winter squirrel #73 off the bird feeder with the CZ 457-22 Varmint AT-ONE. :)

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=211115&stc=1&d=1585491414
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=211117&stc=1&d=1585491414

Attachments

#6 ·
Al I should have said when ya do a magazine ammo dump...but never mind.
Nice fish, how do ya cook em up, I have ate some small RB trout and I don't
care for them but probably didn't do it properly.
But have had Lake trout that wasn't too bad.

Can't wait to see some test targets.

Swiss

#7 ·
Al I should have said when ya do a magazine ammo dump...but never mind.

I knew what you meant Swiss.

Nice fish, how do ya cook em up, I have ate some small RB trout and I don't
care for them but probably didn't do it properly.

I fillet, skin, debone, cut em into smaller pieces, roll em in finely ground Ritz crackers and fry em in butter. Deep fryer is such a chore and the oil a pia to dispose of if ya don't know anyone with a 'green' vehicle that uses it for fuel.

Can't wait to see some test targets.

Swiss
Thats 2 of us. :)

#9 ·
Hot and very buggy and I got the Rem 597 sighted in @ 30 yds with 9 rounds total for critters with the new white box Eley sshp. Hard to concentrate but the CZ UL 'liked' the skwerl ammo better. It took 4 rds to sight in and it got around 1/4" with 5 more by eyeballing it.
We missed out on spring with a long cold spell which turned into summer heat w/o allowing this Yooper to climatize much hence no shooting while doing spring chores and getting camp opened up. Camp required a plumber per a leak in the seasonal system. Always something.

I'm working on a return trip to see how it does with better rn ammo fellas.

#10 ·
Finally got to shoot the other 65˚ morning albeit pretty much a waste of good ammo on a 180º switchy 20 mph gusts morning. Eley black box wasn't working between gusts so pulled a clean snake and after 4 rds of seasoning and a slight scope adjustment shot the first group in the zeros with R50 and thinking thats more like it! After that it all fell apart with most, not all, groups of both flavors barely making an eyeballed 1/4" @ 25 yds. and not worth saving the target. Kinda disgusted with everything including me wasting 65 rds of ammo and I called it. hack tooey! :eek: One of them days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.