Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Moly-Fusion

11K views 46 replies 11 participants last post by  Vincent 
#1 ·
Any of you old, err, experienced, SS guys use it on your rf's 10-12 yrs or so ago? How'd it hold up? Still using it? If memory serves Vincent used it on one.
I only used it on 4 cf's and a muzzleloader with good/great results but I have a lot of winter yet and thinking about using my old carefully hoarded stash on my rf's.

For those not in the know its not a powder coating but rather this- https://shootersolutions.com/molyfusion1.html

#5 ·
Good to hear from you and CC Vincent.
Nice shooting CC. :bthumb:

Did you guys heat your barrels before application also? Use hv between treatments?
Its 57Ëš in my basement man cave and I'm still thinking how to warm em up w/o sticking em in an aluminum pipe warmed up by blowing a heat gun in the end like I did before. I don't want to run the risk of scratching the barrels putting em in n out of the metal pipe.

One of the reasons I'm gonna do a CZ UL is the squibs I'm getting using Quiets Segmented @ 710fps with hopes of more reliability for my clandestine pesky vermin termination. They kill the tree rats but good. The others are my 597-22 VQ barrel, and a CZ AT-ONE 22rf that needs a bit more break in.

#3 ·
Some time back (like 15-20 years ago), after my father had been kidding us guys about small game hunting with high power scopes and heavy barreled rifles, my buddies and I got the idea of building some retro style .22's for our yearly group squirrel hunt.

So I bought a modified Ruger SS barrel from Skeeter27Red (who, as you may know, went on to become the founder of Rimfire Tech), that he claimed he had applied the treatment to..I don't shoot the rifle extensively or anything, but it groups the same today as when I first purchased it :D

I put the barrel in a slightly shortened (to make up for the shorter, rechambered barrel) laminate mannlicher stock with a little Bushnell Custom .22 4X scope (a 3/4" tube 4X was our set limit on magnification). I think it turned out to be a classy little rifle

10rnds of SK Std + @ 50yds

10rnds of Eley Sport @ 50yds

somewhere around here, I still have the stuff that was leftover from the kit that Skeeter sent along with the barrel...maybe if the accuracy ever starts to drop off, I'll dig out the kit and reapply some to the barrel :)

#6 ·
The theory is sound as far as the metallurgy goes.

How hot do you want the barrel? How about a 2" pvc pipe wrapped in an electric blanket? Or said pipe with a hair dryer blowing through it?

#7 ·
Alas no pvc pipe that big in this abode. I'm trying to think of some way to do em all at once on the cheap, shoot em, clean, treat again, repeat. :rolleyes:
When I did my muzzleloader I got it a bit warm and the MF sizzled a bit when the swab hit the bore. :eek:

#8 ·
I used Molly Fusion on a lot of my guns years ago. I had no problems with a hot barrel especially in the summer here in Arizona.

The product works. I could tell a vast improvement in groups and it was much easier to clean the barrel after a range session.

I still have a little and should coat my pistol barrels with it.

#11 ·
I used Molly Fusion on a lot of my guns years ago. I had no problems with a hot barrel especially in the summer here in Arizona.

The product works. I could tell a vast improvement in groups and it was much easier to clean the barrel after a range session.
My do it all Rem 700 25-06 was a laser after lapping and Moly. I hated to let it go to a friend for 75yds or less deer hunting... Ferrari for grocery shopping eh? :D

#13 ·
I heated mine in the oven.The barrel does not need to be that hot! just hot enough that you need a mitt to handle it, just too warm to pick up with bare skin. If you get the barrel so hot you hear a sizzle upon application you have gone too far in my opinion.

Also, on a rimfire barrel, forget blocking the chamber. No harm done by getting it in the chamber.DO NOT GET IT IN A CENTER FIRE CHAMBER. Doing so can increase bolt thrust.

#14 ·
If you get the barrel so hot you hear a sizzle upon application you have gone too far in my opinion.
It was an accident I tell ya, an accident! I didn't mean to, really! :D
My mancave is 58Ëš @ present and the temp I'm gonna apply will be around 115-120ËšF. I have more left than I thought which will do for all I hoped for.

Lands on the CZ crown were a bit factory smeared so I got that fixed and hopefully will get the first app on tomorrow.

#15 ·
1st dose applied via the wife's hairdryer, 1/2 doz Velocitors put thru the stockless 28.6" barrel into the basement/mancave testing target. Today I'll use a heatgun with less thumb twiddling waiting. I always have stuff to do there but kinda forget about time so I'll be watching, touching the receiver, carefully, while I wait.

ETA- I re-crowned the muzzle first via the brass screw and carbide paste, as the factory job had some lands' smearing and gouging.

#16 ·
2nd app in via heat gun @ 250Ëš, lowest setting. It got too hot to hold with a bare hand but it didn't sizzle thus close to perfect in my unprofessional opinion. Practice makes perfect.
The SuperStock Rem 597-22, VQ re-barreled, will be next after I re-scope the bore. Its taken many a gray squirrel, rabbits, *****, and a few gray foxes.

#22 ·

Attachments

#26 ·
My initial testing and zeroing was with a dozen rds of CCI Quiets Segmented @ 710 fps whereas I usually get a squib or 2 between 5-12 rds. primarily because of CZ's tight bore and mine being choked, which is easily felt running a tight patch or pushing out squibs with the same ammo.
Anyways I decided to pull a clean snake and that to came thru more easily than usual. Initial deductions are very hopeful for my clandestine rat eradication with more shooting to come once I reset the parallax a bit more that was factory 125-150 yds in the non AO glass.

#27 ·
Moly-Fusion instructions...

Moly-Fusion instructions from the master himself!!! From a saved conversation with Skeeter many years ago
----- Original Message -----
To: Frank @Work
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2006 10:11 PM
Subject: Molyfusion instructions

I got the Moly Fusion paste and oil from Skeeter. These are his instructions:

Step 1. Clean the barrel with Ballistol or Hoppe's #9, and run patches until there is no color on them.
Step 2. Then put the barrel into the oven (household works fine) and heat it up to 170. Leave it in the oven for 10 minutes to make sure the metal is evenly heated.
Step 3. Use a Patchworm with a .17 cal. round patch, and goop the patch with Moly Fusion paste and use Moly Fusion oil, and do 10 pulls breech to muzzle. Then re-oil the patch, and get the barrel nicely oiled up on an 11th pass.
Step 4. Now it goes back into the oven for 10 minutes, to reheat the metal and let the Moly Fusion react and bond to the barrels metal.
Step 5. 10 more passes, (IS IT A PASTE AND OIL MIXTURE???) then reheat the metal to let the Moly Fusion react and bond to the barrels metal.
Step 6. Then 15 more, (DO YOU REHEAT AFTER THESE PASSES?? IS IT AN PASTE AND OIL MIX??) followed by some dry patches.
Step 7. I'll shoot through the barrel, (HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU SHOOT
THROUGH THE BARREL??)
Step 8. Clean it, and then re-treat it at least 3 treatments, just repeat Steps 1 through 7. I see gains after every treatment."

That's cut from his instructions, right after the lapping instructions. What is in parenthesis were my questions to Skeeter. His answers are below!!!

I'll shoot about 50 rounds down a barrel in between treatments, Yes, I use a mixture of the oil and the paste, and yes I go about 12-15 passes then re-heat for about 3-5 minutes, then do 12-15 more passes, then re-heat, then do 12-15 more passes. I do the treatment/re-heat three times for one treatment session, keeping the barrel walls wet always by adding straight MF oil on the last pass before it goes into the oven.
Sorry it has taken me so long to answer, I am spread really thin lately, but always eager to help ole' Frank out, after all, you're the one that helped get me going on re-lining in the first place.
Regards, Greg

Hope this helps anyone who still has a supply of Moly-Fusion hidden away!!! Would have put this up earlier but I forgot that I even had this info!!! :rolleyes:
God Bless, Frank.

#30 ·
'Racking' my 10 years ago geezer memory here;
The MF is not a coating or lube but rather a molecular change of the steel's surface w/o any dimensional change, no bore dia. or the like size alteration. Its principle property being its a surface hardener thus that property makes it more slippery. Its a permanent action whereas strong warnings are included with not getting it on anything you don't want permanently altered as such. Its difficult more like impossible to remove. That tidbit I remember for sure. :eek::D Oil is used as a carrier.
The Slide or Moly powder back then were not permanent as I understood it. These facts were probably related in the instructions somewhere, and on the phone when I talked at length with Jon the owner. He will reveal all he knows about his product at length.

IMA its improved accuracy from reports of many users including my cf's but is not advertised as such. YMMV
As one can imagine there's a lot of magic snake oils on the market hence most users I suspect were, are, ;) rather dubious of putting something permanent in one's bores.
I didn't look awfully hard but there should be better intel out there than I just relayed Doug.

#31 ·
Molybdenum Di sulfide

Molybdenum Di Sulfide (MOS)is normally what most people and companies think of when they use the word "Moly". It is often a black or dark grey powder. 20 years ago many bullet makers made a moly coating option on some of their bullets (it was controversial because it could foul a bore in it's own nasty way). In automotive uses it is often suspended in grease or heavy oil. For instance going on 35 years ago a friend gave me some prepackaged for use helicopter gearboxes. I used it in all my off road gearboxes and the manual boxes in my trucks.

Jonathon is quick to point out there id NO MOS in Moly-Fusion! It is a very different thing and the two are not interchangeable.

Hope that helps

#35 ·
You certainly did, Al, and I humbly apologize!

No worries Doug. I was pretty sure you just missed it with it being on a previous page.

I ALWAYS value your input. And I'm not spoofin'. I really do. I am still wondering how you have more than a million posts, though. I'm guessin' you're up there, but... :D

Doug
Typing with just 2 arthritic fingers and a thumb IMA. ;)

#36 ·
Bugs are out en masse and Thermacell slows em down some when placed directly upwind of bare skin to deter the thirsty skeeters and blackflies fresh from the swamps. That and temps cooler than 45Ëš is all that keeps them from me. I react to bug dope so thats out. Patience is a virtue I never was generously endowed with...patience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.