Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New Aguilla 5mm ammo inconsistent?

6K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  iron85 
#1 ·
Weather permitting I've been trying to get out and review the fresh 5mm that hit the shelves recently. I've noticed a significant accuracy difference between the jhp and the sjhp, seems the jhp is much more accurate and consistent. Has anyone else had a chance to test these rounds? It could be me due to the lack of decent weather, but I'm not impressed with the sjhp so far though. Feedback is appreciated

Will try to get out tomorrow and do another comparison, I'll post my results... Thanks

#3 ·
Weather permitting I've been trying to get out and review the fresh 5mm that hit the shelves recently. I've noticed a significant accuracy difference between the jhp and the sjhp, seems the jhp is much more accurate and consistent. Has anyone else had a chance to test these rounds? It could be me due to the lack of decent weather, but I'm not impressed with the sjhp so far though. Feedback is appreciated

Will try to get out tomorrow and do another comparison, I'll post my results... Thanks
Could be your rifle just doesn't like the lot# sjhp that you have.

#5 ·
Not impressed!

Tried the sjhp ammo today. Couldn't close the bolt on one round. One dud round. Three other rounds that I couldn't retract the bolt after firing. If a 5 inch group at 70 yards is good, then accuracy is good.:rolleyes:

#11 ·
Tried the sjhp ammo today. Couldn't close the bolt on one round. One dud round. Three other rounds that I couldn't retract the bolt after firing. If a 5 inch group at 70 yards is good, then accuracy is good.:rolleyes:
I got my 591 (with Bushnell 3200 5-15X scope) out today just to plink around at about 35 yards and I was experiencing the same thing...the bolt was hard to retract. I was shooting from the prone position and had to stand up at one point so i could cycle the bolt again...it was stuck pretty good. I'll take a closer look at it next time, was just trying to enjoy the weather today and didn't want any distractions.

As far as accuracy goes, i was only able to manage about a 2-3 inch group at 35yards...not good. By comparison, I was shooting a Savage MKII with Lapua ammo (and a 2-7 Nikon scope) from the same distance and every hole but one was touching each other. I'm not knocking the gun but the verdict is still out regarding the ammo.

#6 ·
Yikes! Do you have any other "older" ammo to compare it to? Should be some nice weather tomorrow, I'll get my gun out and try to do some testing of my own again.

I purchased more JHP ammo than SJHP due to it shooting better by my initial results. Glad i did, looks like the JHP is sold out wherever I look.

Good luck on gun/ammo, hope you find the culprit

#7 ·
Not bad

I took a few of my new magazines to the range today with three types of Aguila ammo. One white box, one green box and one of the new SJHP. The green (varmint) ammo sucked as always. The other two were putting 4 out of 5 rounds consistently into touching groups at 50 yards with an old Bushnell 22LR 4x scope and not fine crosshairs. That's pretty decent! I typically had one flier that would open the touching group by about a half inch. That could have been me. Who knows.

Getting after bunnies and sage rats this weekend with it, so that will be the real test.

#12 ·
The other two were putting 4 out of 5 rounds consistently into touching groups at 50 yards with an old Bushnell 22LR 4x scope and not fine crosshairs. That's pretty decent!
Thats better than decent. :bthumb:
Uh oh. :eek: My 592 has been in the truck for a week but haven't had a chance to draw and fire.

#9 ·
We can't get the new ammo down here, but ive been able to finally test my 592 with old white box rem, 1970 ammo I believe.

Only got an old 6X Weaver and fired 6 round at 60 yds for 3/4" group with three holes, you could see where one bullet cut the holes a little. To say I was happy is a big understatement.

Then when up the paddock and shot a rabbit the only one seen, shot pretty close at around 30 yds but head clean taken off.

I am truly in love with my 592 I find it a well balanced rifle, I cannot understand Remington letting this fine round fall by the way you would think a decent run of ammo every few years would be worth doing

Bionicman

#10 ·
the older stuff, the sjhp I found would group fair, seemed always 1 flier out of a 5 shot group, haven't really tried the older gold/green jhp that much, The old original remington stuff would be very more consistent. Only have a 592 now and a T/C carbine, it has a sweet trigger, I really need to set down and work with it more, completely took off a dove's head at 40 yards. So is the general concensus the jhp in the new stuff is better??

#13 · (Edited)
Guys check your breech faces for a peened over edge where the shoulder of the firing pin strikes the breech at the edge of the case rim recess. The edge can get peened over and it may catch the case rim and make for hard extraction. High pressure upon firing may expand the case head a little and they hang up on the little nub of peened over metal. Similar to the firing pin dents so common on old .22 rimfires caused by dry firing. I had this problem on my 591 and repairing the damage made for much easier extraction on my rifle. This was with the older Aguilla Centurian and some original Remington ammo. My 592 doesn't seem to have the problem. Have not tried the new ammo yet.

#17 ·
I almost bought some to try in my 592 but after reading this I decided to pass. I just don’t shoot the 5mm much. Took it to a gun show a few weeks ago and the best offer I got was $250. I’ll hold onto it for that price but I have more centurion ammo than I’ll ever shoot.

Iron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.