Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Any one intrested In a off hand handgun match?

11K views 81 replies 18 participants last post by  Ynned 
#1 ·
In a off hand handgun match. Shot this this week.
I used an A23 50 yard target at 10 yards
Open sights
Smith and Wesson Victory
Aguila Super Extra HV
50 shots
Total score 336

Yep is scattered very where that's purely me and old eyes . Will be putting a dot sight on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
I am interested

]BillyM :
I am interested in your program, I am 74 years old and shoot a high standard M107
.Please advise what target to get and shoot ? what distance ? and how many shots ?also please educate me on how you score the target. I will be going to the range to sight in my handgun ,will shoot to your specs and post a picture of the target.

Thanks Bullstone

#9 ·
Not too many yrs ago we had a couple postal matches, on line.

Another was shooting groups. Shoot the group, send target to a scorer and hed post group size for all to see.

Just seems interest petered out after a couple yrs. I suppose we have a pretty much 'new' group now and maybe a new challenge could be started in April or May 2019..

#17 ·
I've been thinking of this, and tried last week to duplicate the 25 and 50 yard offhand rifle match, but at 10 yds. Same A-23 targets, 5 targets, 10 shots each, 10 yards distant.

Today's score (first try):
Target #1: 83, 0X
Target #2: 67, 0X
Target #3: 72, 1X
Target #4: 68, 0X
Target #5: 75, 0X
Total : 365, 1X

I posted this in the Buckmark thread 'cause that's what I shot. Maybe in today's market it should be 5 targets 5 shots each.
I'd be game. All it would take is a target that people agree on really. Whether it's done in the style of the fun shoots or the offhand shoots, etc.... really doesn't matter much to me. We could do open sights/optics classes, or maybe make a handicap that is fair so people could shoot either. Really at the end of the day, even if we made multiple classes there will always be pistols at the extreme edges of any class made anyway, so in the end it's more about fun and personal improvement.

Let's see if we can spread the word and get more people interested. From there, we can link targets that can be printed, and get going.

#16 ·
I've been thinking of this, and tried last week to duplicate the 25 and 50 yard offhand rifle match, but at 10 yds. Same A-23 targets, 5 targets, 10 shots each, 10 yards distant.

Today's score (first try):
Target #1: 83, 0X
Target #2: 67, 0X
Target #3: 72, 1X
Target #4: 68, 0X
Target #5: 75, 0X
Total : 365, 1X

I posted this in the Buckmark thread 'cause that's what I shot. Maybe in today's market it should be 5 targets 5 shots each.

#26 · (Edited)
Great points on both above posts. I really like the offhand rifle matches, with one exception being round count. Time constraints often mean that is all I would shoot that day. I have to pick days to do that, and a lower round count might let me have time to play with other toys, or shoot some other variations/distances/etc.

As for the two A23s on one piece of paper, I was thinking the same direction. I already have it but wanted to get an OK from the person that made it. It saves some paper and makes the targets closer so less space needed to paste them up to a backer.

I think most could shoot 10 rounds per target, but 5 per target would give much better scoring for the better shooters. Or we could make it simple and just say "shoot 20 rounds on at least two targets" and leave it up to the shooter.

Maybe we should just agree on some starting basics, shoot some bulls and post them, and see where it goes from there. If it stretches to 25 yards for those with range restrictions, then we just make that another category and go with it.

I'll be shooting some this weekend either way. :gun4:
So I went out to my Dad's place and shot some. Shot 5 Bulls at 10 yds with my Buckmark, and sacrificed half a box of my jealously hoarded 45 stash to shoot 5 Bulls at 10 yds with my RIA 1911, shot 5 more Bulls at 15 yds with the Buckmark. Five shots each Bull.

Weather wasn't the best, light snow, 35 degrees give or take, typical North Coast gloom. Here's what I shot at:

Plant Snow Nature Sky Branch

Results follow:
Buckmark with Williams Firesights at 10 yds:

Target #1 45 1x
#2 32 0x
#3 38 0x
#4 39 0x
#5 39 0x

Edit: Buckmark 10 yd targets

Buckmark at 15 yds

Target #1 21 0x
#2 27 0x
#3 29 0x
#4 10 0x
#5 33 0x
No clue what happened on target #4

Edit: Buckmark 15 yd target pics

Buckmark Firesights pic:

Plant Tree Wood Trunk Grass

1911 GI sights at 10 yds:

Target #1 29 0x
#2 26 0x
#3 25 0x
#4 26 0x
#5 39 0x

Edit: 1911 10 yd target pics
1911 GI sights pic:

Material property Camera accessory Audio equipment Wood Cameras & optics

I broke my scanner some time ago, and I don't feel like taking pics of all those targets, but I threw in a few pics to look at.

#21 ·
We'd have to figure out any time limits, distances, number of rounds per target, etc. Zukiphile may have a point that many deal with, that being ranges that only allow certain distances. It may be wise to select multiple ranges to shoot at, so more people would try it out.

As for round count, just my opinion, but when it gets higher less people are likely to shoot it. As for rounds per target, it just makes accurate scoring easier with fewer rounds per target. Even shooting offhand, too many rounds can tear up sections of a target where you can't really score it correcly.

What's everyone think? If we have a basic idea it might be easier to round people up to give it a try. Rules could always change based on input and what people want over time.... just another thought.

#22 ·
I like the Offhand Rifle Match right here on RFC. Any gun, any ammo, anybody. Basically four classes: 25 or 50 yards, scoped or iron sights. A23/A9 targets, 5 targets, 10 shots each at 25 yds, 5 shots at 50 yds. I'm a little unsure why the longer distance uses fewer shots, but c'est la vie.

We could include any optics as scoped, shoot maybe 10 and 15 yds. As for ranges with minimum distances, maybe 25 yds, but that seems awfully far for offhand pistol. Heck, I have a hard time hitting the paper consistently at 25 yds. I've just been going into the back yard, measuring off thirty feet and shooting.

#23 ·
This seems to be coming along. The A23 would be good to use I read in the Offhand Rifle Match rules that there is a file for 2 A23 targets on 1 standard page. That ouwld be perfect. I PM e
The person running the Offhand matches for a copy of the file as I plan to start shooting in that was well
As a starting point simple would be best. 4 bulls, 5 shots each, 10 yards. 10 points per shot. Possible 200 points. 2 classes - open sights and ant type of optics.

5 shots per bull will help those who are new to these types of competition in scoring their targets. And ammo cost.

Just my thoughts.

Discuss

#24 ·
Great points on both above posts. I really like the offhand rifle matches, with one exception being round count. Time constraints often mean that is all I would shoot that day. I have to pick days to do that, and a lower round count might let me have time to play with other toys, or shoot some other variations/distances/etc.

As for the two A23s on one piece of paper, I was thinking the same direction. I already have it but wanted to get an OK from the person that made it. It saves some paper and makes the targets closer so less space needed to paste them up to a backer.

I think most could shoot 10 rounds per target, but 5 per target would give much better scoring for the better shooters. Or we could make it simple and just say "shoot 20 rounds on at least two targets" and leave it up to the shooter.

Maybe we should just agree on some starting basics, shoot some bulls and post them, and see where it goes from there. If it stretches to 25 yards for those with range restrictions, then we just make that another category and go with it.

I'll be shooting some this weekend either way. :gun4:

#27 · (Edited)
Went to the range earlier and shot a couple. I saved on targets and did 15 rounds on one, 10 on another @ 10 yards, then shot all 25 on one target at 15 yards. Realized that my double target somehow auto sized slightly smaller when it printed, so I might have screwed myself out of a few points. Oh well, at least I know the score is legit.

10 yards, indoor range
Ruger Mark II, bone stock
Federal 36 gr CPHP HV bulk ammo
25 rounds

212 1X

Somehow tossed a 6 in there, but not surprised really. Had a boomer next to me shooting fairly quick on those first targets.

15 yards, indoor range
Ruger Mark II, bone stock
Federal 36 gr CPHP HV bulk ammo
25 rounds

198 1X

Almost threw a miss on the 15 yard target, but it stayed in the 5 ring. Those loose shots are a score killer.

Noticed the local range has a couple of magnetic LED lights you can use, Still can't get crap for light on the front sight post, but with the right setup it might work. I'm going to investigate that, and/or change to a 6 o'clock hold to get a sharper sight picture.

Attachments

#28 ·
Well, those are definitely better'n mine, but I got excuses ready:
  • Indoors is more comfy
  • It took a bad hop
  • The sun was in my eyes
  • :) :) :)
Just kidding. It hasn't been very many weeks ago I noticed I was printing to fit or whatever it's called. IIRC, it made the outer ring an eighth or so smaller. It's turned pretty cold here the last couple days, 13 degrees this morning. I'll get back out when it warms up.

#29 · (Edited)
Even though you were joking, indoors definitely is more controlled and consistent with the exception of noise possibly. And in all fairness, I've put a whole lot of rounds through my Ruger, I've owned it since the mid 80's.

I guess we should just hang out and see who shoots, at what distances, how many rounds... etc and then see where the input goes. If we have looser rules more people might shoot more often, but hard to say.

I'm also hoping that enough people shoot the offhand pistol so that we have a larger base of knowledge to share. We all have strengths and weaknesses in any aspect of shooting, and feeding off the strongest shooters scoop can often help us all. In the case of the newer shooters, more people might have good input. Both in skillsets and in hardware and such, more info is better.

**added - note to all (even though I screwed it up**

Often some of these targets have strange sizes, and the decimal points don't convert readily to fractions on the average ruler or tape measure. But if you just convert them to metric units, and have a scale in MM, it's much easier to check them out. I screwed up both types of targets I printed out yesterday, but knew they were correct when I've checked them out in the past. Don't let your computer or printer outsmart you and cost you points! :bonk:

#30 · (Edited)
Hi all, So I finished rehabing my 25 yard shooting area in my back yard and got to start shooting. Due to medical issues I have not pulled a trigger in a little over 3 years. However I have shot local rimfire competitions at my LGC and other gun clubs all my life.

I used my Ruger MKIII which is stock except for the Tactical Solution 8 inch barrel.
Conditions: 46 degree with sudden wind gusts the left up to about 5 MPH.

So I shot the A-23 targets, Offhand (2 hand grip), 10 yards, 4 targets, 5 shots each, 10 points per shot for a total of 200 pts.

Gas Cameras & optics Circle Electronic device Font

Lcd projector Automotive design Automotive lighting Material property Gas

so I scored a total of 161-2X
not bad for the first shots I have fired in 3 years.

Then for fun I shot 2 targets at 25 yards, offhand (2 hand grip), I got a 16-0X on the first target and 37-1X on the second.

Camera lens Cameras & optics Audio equipment Gadget Material property

I plan to continue shooting and will post more targets.

all the pictues work correctly.

hopefully we can get some more people interested in pistol shooting and get a good competition going.

#31 ·
Hi all, So I finished rehabing my 25 yard shooting area in my back yard and got to start shooting. Due to medical issues I have not pulled a trigger in a little over 3 years. However I have shot local rimfire competitions at my LGC and other gun clubs all my life.

I used my Ruger MKIII which is stock except for the Tactical Solution 8 inch barrel.
Conditions: 46 degree with sudden wind gusts the left up to about 5 MPH.

So I shot the A-23 targets, Offhand (2 hand grip), 10 yards, 4 targets, 5 shots each, 10 points per shot for a total of 200 pts.

View attachment 242853
View attachment 242855

so I scored a total of 161-2X
not bad for the first shots I have fired in 3 years.

Then for fun I shot 2 targets at 25 yards, offhand (2 hand grip), I got a 16-0X on the first target and 37-1X on the second.

View attachment 242857

I plan to continue shooting and will post more targets.

all the pictues work correctly.

hopefully we can get some more people interested in pistol shooting and get a good competition going.
We're really gonna have to agree on number of targets and shots to make it very meaningful.

#36 ·
The ammo crunch is impacting a lot of people for sure.

What do you think for round count? We could keep it at 20 or 30 to save people some ammo and/or time if we want to. To some extent even those with big ammo stashes might benefit, as fewer rounds to shoot might help everyone slow down and make them count.

Even with the round count down at 20 or 30, we should be able to see our trends or improvements I think. And no matter what the count, the really good shooters will rise to the top. If it's anything like the offhand rifle shoots, there will be people shooting almost all 9's and 10's, and the X counts will rise.

I hope we can get some interest going. The rifle shoots cover just about everything, but handgun matches seem all but dead. Even if there are just a few of us, I'll keep shooting either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.