Old 11-09-2015, 04:49 PM
patience0830
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Man-o-Man am I glad to see you are still upright! Missed ya Buddy
I've talked to Claude lately. Done business with him in the past. Would not be afraid to again. I've read that B/S on 24 hour campfire and b4 you take their word for what happened, give Claude a call. I like the man and trust him.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:18 PM
NorthFork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I agree with the previous Poster (patience0830) concerning Claude Gatewood.
He does excellent work. I too trust him and would not hesitate to have him
work on a gun project for me.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:33 PM
CWG
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
I've talked to Claude lately. Done business with him in the past. Would not be afraid to again. I've read that B/S on 24 hour campfire and b4 you take their word for what happened, give Claude a call. I like the man and trust him.
Well, I retired last year. Sold the duplicator to Wenig gunstocks.

as to that person on Campfire, he was one of the most unpleasurable folks..
AT my door, a 5' tall, 4' wide, 5" thick slab of greenish wood showed up. (after I told him over and over on the phone do NOT ship a giant slab.
The slab had cracks and shipping damage (he glued a shipping label to it) and some freight truck literally left it in my yard.
I talked with that guy explain he would have to pay to get his crap back, all I got was phone calls from locals, and the one guy who came out, SAW what I was dealing with, never bothered to post anything on 24hourCampfire. So, it looks like I, what, ripped someone off for a hundred bucks of wood??

Pity, all the gunstocks I made, all the times I ate shipping, extra checkering etc, I bent a stock one time for a guy, he claimed the 'set' didn't take, so I rebent it...then he tells me he baked the stock to remove a bad glass bedding job..
what seems to remain is that one guy, from 2008, and he STILL owes me money...
anyhow, God Bless, lets hope Hillary doesn't get in and thanks for all the memories
best, Claude Gatewood
Old 05-25-2016, 07:42 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Well I for one have 1 of your fine stocks and have been nothing but pleased with you/your service and craftsmanship over the years! May you find peace and solitude in your retirement..and know that a few Dipsticks cannot negate all the good you have done.

Last edited by Chaser; 05-25-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:57 PM
CWG

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
So many awesome acquaintances I made over the decades THRU this and other forums. Just had an f'ing incredible run. Got lazy, just HATE paperwork, advertising, hustling..
the guys from Wenigs drove up, it was indescribable- getting to talk with their lead stocker, and the son...in my business I NEVER got to talk to someone who intimately knew a duplicator...sounds corny, but it was a thrill, 3 hours talking about running stocks....never in all my travels ran into another person who duplicated stocks, on that volume, on a machine similar to mine...

...I have ONE T-hole semi inlet, in the last blank of Rutland laminate- in their "blond" color, (no idea what color it will be) in LH, getting close to finishing it. On that will go a Blackstar taper hone, gain twist, cryo'd barrel I got way back from Blackstar, Tony's Powderhorn cantilever mount, a trigger from CPC, my action work. A fixed 32 power Tasco made in Japan scope
Promise I'll post pics when its done.
again, thank everyone for the ability to do what I loved.
best regards, Claude
Old 05-25-2016, 08:35 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Just went back and took a stroll down memory lane thru my photo's from approx. 8 years back...
Here is the Gatewood before the Tuck Candy coating... I thought it was stunning but had to have a real one of a kind for Tuck to Candy before he bailed...this one was it...

Old 05-25-2016, 10:59 PM
CPC
RFC Sponsor
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
Middletown CT, Earth, 1st door on the right
TPC Rating: 
96% (22)
I owe you money... Claude... You made and sent a $250 stock - you were to send in 10/22 work in trade... (Barter)... No work came in - and now retired you would rather have the money I will send a check... With shipping it should be around $265...
PM me your currant mailing address....
(P.S... Check is good, its a fine 3rd party out of state check, a little scotch tape here and there, a little purple dye from a dye pack, don't mind its 1963 date - that you can change).. Let me know?

Last edited by CPC; 05-26-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Good Lordie...Randy, your integrity never ceases to amaze me.. actually not surprised ...that is the neatest thing I have seen in a long time! Atta Boy!
Old 05-26-2016, 09:16 PM
CPC
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
96% (22)
I guess Claude is not visiting RFC much? Might take a few days....
Old 05-27-2016, 07:18 AM
patience0830
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
I'm wondering if he licensed that offhand design he used to make to Wenig. Really sorry to see him give it up. Some days it seems there isn't enough money soon enough.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:13 AM
CWG

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPC View Post
I guess Claude is not visiting RFC much? Might take a few days....
I'm only 57, so my new career is all consuming- a maintenance supervisor at a huge apt. complex means...hell, means more work, less play....but, its all good. I need to set up email reminders at old forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
I'm wondering if he licensed that offhand design he used to make to Wenig. Really sorry to see him give it up. Some days it seems there isn't enough money soon enough.
That is a GREAT question, we talked about it, and I quote..."its too radical for our clientele" heeeheee...I kept the patterns for the 10/22's, cause NO fooling, they were my life for over a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPC View Post
I owe you money... Claude...

No, you dont......remember the EPIC battles we had at...whatever the name of the first Compuserve forum was- that was like..when? 1992??, then Giz's 10/22 forum? EPIC...pages long battles about..pretty much everything... Gawd, those were priceless, arguing or fighting is worthless, pointless, but..a passionate discussion between professionals is a rare thing really. I realized I learned quite a bit, and the first time someone sent me your trigger (in a gun to stock) I was impressed.
I suspect those battles and the subsequent truce, generated way more income than whatever we agreed on, and really it was more an honor to send that stock, a peace offering, renewable hatchet etc.
No, we're good brother. Clean.

That douche who started the whole bash me thread is having an epic meltdown- even threatened someone...amazing.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...ics/11211792/9
Old 05-28-2016, 07:06 PM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Darn. Always wanted one of CWGs stocks and never did get one.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:02 AM
CPC
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
96% (22)
Claude... That's really cool, did not expect that... Thanks...
Old 05-30-2016, 08:02 PM
A-Rob
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I remember screwing up the action removal from a Gatewood offhand stock that I had bedded. I was too ham fisted removing it and cracked the grip area. CWG walked me through the fix and even sent me a piece of ebony to fit over the repair bolt head. In the end it was stronger than original and he helped me salvage my mistake. I don't remember what I had for dinner Friday, but I do remember great customer service from a decade or so ago.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:36 PM
Horsefly

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
My Gatewood Story.....Ya' Gotta read this......

I contacted Claude this past fall and asked if he would be willing to build me a "Gatewood Offhand" using one of my blanks. He said he was willing and sent me the minimum dimensions needed to make the stock. Sooooo off a piece of Walnut was sent is way.

I hope this won't offend Claude and if it does, I truly apologize to him. Below is an email that Claude sent me when he completed my stock. I made some minor edits (in blue) to protect Claude's pricing and to comply with forum rules, but I'm positive that you will get the jist of this message.

the email I received as follows:

" Lets say $000.00 covers everything, I'll ship it/insure it etc. via FedEx
mail the check to me at xxx xxxxx xx, xxxxxx xx xxxxx
It may well be early next week before I can ship it, sorry for that delay.

You officially have, thee last Gatewood stock sold to the public. Actually the slight delay in getting your address contributed to that!
Finished a Classic around the same time, he just edged out yours by a couple of days.

Glad it was you, honestly.
Wenig bought my duplicator- they made a heck of an offer, a local company made me an offer in a related field for my skillset, that requires 100% of my time. Had to make a decision.
You may well see a company offering the Offhand now that I wont sue anyone (trademark protected that one) and I'd hope Ruger gets off its high horse and works a deal, at this point I'd give it away just to see it offered as an option. (ego..its a bxxxx)
The first Offhand (called the Ultimate way back on Giz's 10/22 forum in the mid 90's http://www.network54.com/Forum/14837 was sold around 1992-93. The last one, yours, in its final evolution, 2015.
The Offhand originally was simply a copied Bell&Carlson/Anchutz target stock in walnut.
I added fingergrooves and a cheek piece along the way, further modded it for several who were competing in the Chevy Team Challenge.
Changed the name to OFFHAND after several customers who bought it...complained..it was lousy on the bench...ah, the public.
Got lucky and one of my Offhands was used on Mueller optics website around 96, 97ish, at that point Ruger approached me to buy the Offhand rights, Brownells wanted to carry the stocks and others like Volquartsen, Chief AJ, Kidd started using my shop to create their own versions of high end 10/22 stocks. And sold lots to employees of all sorts of companies offering custom 10/22's.
I think, in total, I made around 375-425ish in there along with all the other gun stocks I've done.
Sold one in Saudi Arabia thru Volquartsen, all 50 states, England, Germany, Ireland, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Barbados, and even Chicago. Along with several funky variations for shooters in wheelchairs, disabilities, lazy basturds who only shoot prairie dogs from their air conditioned trucks, cross country back packers who trap weeks on end up north. Some very cool variants.
Not bad, enjoy it!
Yup, sort of going to miss it, however the new path has been chosen. AND I did rough ONE final one out, in LH in a very fancy piece of wood for myself, hehe. I'll get around to that hopefully in the next 10 years.

Happy New Year Leon (Bruce /Horsefly) to you and yours, CWG"

Below are a couple of pics that are not too great; I can post more this coming weekend if anyone desires, just let me know. Claude was really good to me. He did good work and his pricing was more than fair. And all along this last journey, he communicated as good as I could have expected.

I really hope that I didn't get the last one, because I will probably want another. I now have 4 Gatewood stocks. All in Walnut & all four are a different pattern.

I'm a LUCKY guy!