Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:01 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Rem 541-S likes CCI SV or Winchester Target.
Mauser 201 Lux likes Norma Tac-22
Bergara BXR likes Federal Auto-Match (Yes, really.)
Anschutz 17Mach2 likes Hornady V-Max 17 gr
Winchester 67 likes anything I throw at it.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:18 PM
Doc243
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Alabama View Post
Sure looks like it would do! How does the EPS bullet nose perform terminal ballistics wise?

Back in the spring I shot some CCI subs into some two liter cola jugs filled with water. No expansion from the first bullet so I tried it again, same thing, nothing but rifling marks. They've always made a loud pop when striking squirrels, but the water jugs made me wonder about them.
Phil, They perform very well for me. The thing I have noticed most is that they really don't mushroom out on the end, they just sort of swell up over all. With that being said, that is shooting something with a little structure to it, I haven't tried it on gallon jugs, but I can assure you it has torn more than one "pop" can it to pieces. I was loosing a few squirrels here and there, enough to make me a little annoyed and it wasn't like I was just aiming center mass and hoping. The very first squirrel I shot with the Edge literally cartwheeled the squirrel off the limb with a very audible "THWACK" and I found the squirrel white belly just a shining and his arms and legs splayed out like he never even kicked. That was when I stopped testing different rounds.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:34 PM
TripleC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was shooting Eley subsonics in 3 rifles. They grouped well but I was not satisfied with their “knockdown “ effect. I now shoot Eley Contact or Action that I blunt the noses on. Much better terminal performance.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:11 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc243 View Post
Phil, They perform very well for me. The thing I have noticed most is that they really don't mushroom out on the end, they just sort of swell up over all. With that being said, that is shooting something with a little structure to it, I haven't tried it on gallon jugs, but I can assure you it has torn more than one "pop" can it to pieces. I was loosing a few squirrels here and there, enough to make me a little annoyed and it wasn't like I was just aiming center mass and hoping. The very first squirrel I shot with the Edge literally cartwheeled the squirrel off the limb with a very audible "THWACK" and I found the squirrel white belly just a shining and his arms and legs splayed out like he never even kicked. That was when I stopped testing different rounds.
I stopped by the big local gun/hunting/fishing store and they had some Eley Edge and Biathlon Match in stock, but the prices were just too steep for me. The Edge was $14 per box and the Biathlon was $19. I might buy one box of the Edge to test next month to see how it does, but I'd have to order any more of it from somewhere with better prices.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:38 AM
Uturnwilly1
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My squirrel hunting is confined to pest control. Range is 10 yards or less using CCI CB Longs out of Remington 511X that I have been shooting since I was 12.
Head shots are the norm but shoulder shots work well. Second shots are seldom needed.
My home is on 4.5 heavily wooded acres but I still need be mindful of my neighbors
Old 07-25-2020, 07:22 AM
PuddleJumper65
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Alabama View Post
I stopped by the big local gun/hunting/fishing store and they had some Eley Edge and Biathlon Match in stock, but the prices were just too steep for me. The Edge was $14 per box and the Biathlon was $19. I might buy one box of the Edge to test next month to see how it does, but I'd have to order any more of it from somewhere with better prices.
Phil how about ten a box at Killough ?
https://www.killoughshootingsports.c...artridges.html
PJ
Old 07-25-2020, 07:49 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm planning to hunt squirrels with my new-to-me NULA this year (starts 3rd Saturday of August). I haven't shot it enough yet to determine what shoots best. I like subsonic and have a few varieties I'll be trying to see what the rifle and I shoot best.

I don't really care if HP or solid because if a head shot isn't presented, I hold or pass the shot.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:55 PM
El-cheapo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This year will be different for me.

In years past I used my Glenfield model 60 with whatever HV hollowpoints I had on hand. Never had a problem with accuracy or terminal performance. I tried SV ammo in the old girl and got nothing but jams. She likes HV ammo or nothing, which is fine by me.

This year I got the itch to try something new. I picked up a Ruger 10/22 takedown model and so far it's been pretty good. It seems to eat anything and everything. Subs, SV, and HV all shoot without a hitch. Any ammo that will put five shots in an inch at 50 yards is good enough, but 3/4 inch is better. Half an inch is what I like to see, and the Ruger delivers this level of accuracy with several brands. CCI Subsonic HP's were very good. It also likes CCI SV, Aquila SV, Eley Sport and Aquila 40 grain HV copper plated RN. Every gun is different and finding out what it likes is fun!

Speaking of roundnoses, for headshots they're fine but for anything else they stink. For this reason I prefer to use RN's solely for target shooting. For hunting I make flatpointed bullets using a tool a friend made for me years ago. You put a round in the tool and nip off the tip of the bullet with a pocket knife. It does a really nice job and those flatpoint bullets kill every bit as well as a hollowpoint.

I have almost a full brick left of the old Eley Sport loads. They're quiet and the Ruger loves them, so I'll make up a bunch of flatpoints to hunt with. A box of 50 takes only a few minutes. I also know a place that's full of squirrels and nobody hunts it because it's a bit of a walk. I think I'll start my squirrel season there this year. Should be fun. Good luck to you!
Old 07-30-2020, 10:08 PM
jrothWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Both my partner and I use the CCI Standard 40 solid and have no problems amongst two M60's,M77/22, Win 19-6 and Win 62.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:55 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CB Longs when I can find them.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:47 PM
Dragon63005

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RWS Subsonic Hollow Points for my CZ-USA 455 Tacticool.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:06 AM
chsparkman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Ruger 77/22 which I purchased in 1989 could not hold a group with any ammo, until I shimmed the bolt about 8 years ago. Now it puts Remington Subsonics into a one-hole group at 50 yards, so that's my squirrel ammo. Nice and quiet with a hollow point...can't beat it.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:35 PM
huntschool

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am shooting Eley Edge and Ely SSHP's out of my 22's Then shooting Eley 17 Mach 2 out of the 17 gun. Love em all
Old 08-06-2020, 11:16 AM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Got one box of the Eley Edge to test out. First five shot group at fifty yards was 3/8" ctc, second group was 7/16" ctc. Two group avg. is .406". The first group was from a cold barrel and after having shot CCI Subsonics, so that was impressive to me. One more five shot group at 75 yards, 7/8" ctc. Excellent accuracy and a good feeling from shooting these, after nothing but mediocre ammo for quite a while it was nice to see bullet holes close together! Expensive for me, but if I only use these for hunting and shoot cheaper stuff in the off season the cost wouldn't be too bad. I'd like to see how Tenex and Match EPS would shoot from this little Kimber Hunter 22. Squirrel season is still nearly a month and a half away here in Alabama. Need to pick up a few boxes of this Edge round and see if I like the terminal performance. Seems as if the Eley EPS bullet shape is well liked for zapping the little limb chickens.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:46 PM
Donnie Powell
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like Eley ammo. I doubt if I ever buy American rimfire ammo again.