Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:19 PM
riverhntr1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington 550-1-rounds sticking in chamber

Hey guys, I'm having a failure to eject problem with my grandfather's 550-1. Un-fired rounds are getting stuck in the chamber. With help from old posts on this site, I removed the floating chamber and cleaned everything up. The floating chamber is free to move as it should be, however the bullets seem to be getting stuck in the barrel portion of the chamber. I have tried scrubbing it with Hoppes 9, a bronze brush, and JB compound, but the bullets still seem to get stuck. The gun doesn't seem to have a problem ejecting spent cases, it just seems to be rounds that don't seat properly and fire. Anyone have any suggestions for what else to try? Maybe remove the floating chamber again and scrub the heck out of it with JB Compound? I have fired un-plated lead bullets in the past, which I have since read can cause problems in these guns, if it does have a leading problem, how do you guys suggest I remove it? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:30 PM
PostalBound
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You could plug the barrel and fill it up and let it soak for several days. I have 3 550-1 rifles and 2 of them were in rough shape. I took the action off the stock and soaked it in a PVC pipe full of kerosene. With that said, I still had to take apart the floating chamber and clean in between the plates to work properly. I also scrubbed the chamber with JP paste and the bore with stiff nylon and then brass brush.

All three rifles will now shoot any 22 rimfire shell interchangeably. They even cycle 22 CB caps in semiauto. I use them for rat shooting at night with IR camera mounted to scope. These are great rifles. They certainly don't make anything like them anymore.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:42 PM
grandparem
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you checked the extractors? Also as mentioned, the forward part of the chamber in the barrel may need to be brushed really good. You mighttry it with some shorts and that might tell you if the problem is the front part of the chamber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 11:34 AM
2mene22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
What brand of ammo ?? Does it handle shorts O K ??
Old 07-13-2017, 11:00 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
dirty chamber ahead of floating chamber

I would bet a lot of shorts were fired in it ! I bought a savage 29B pump and had the same problem, had to pry LR cases out of chamber with my pocket knife. couldn't see any problem even with a bright LED bore light. spent 3 hours plus with brass brush and Mothers mag/aluminum wheel polish. now it extracts empties 100% perfectly! I don't shoot shorts at all. why use them, their cost is more than LR rounds and they cause problems.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:04 PM
grandparem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 550/550-1s were made to shoot shorts and L-LR interchangebly, but too many shorts without shooting the longer case rounds will cause problems. You will get a buildup of powder residue in the forward part of the chamber and if bad enough, you might even have a problem chambering a round.
The way the 550 series works is with a short, the "recoiling chamber" (what it's actually called) recoils with the short case and causes an instant ejection. with the long and long rifle case, when the round is fired, the case expands, as they all do, but the forward part of the case actually "sticks" in the forward part of the chanber until the case pressure starts to drop, then it has a "delayed" extraction. Your LR cases are never releasing when the pressure drops off, so there has to be a buildup or corrosion in that forward part of the chamber, which is a solid part of the barrel. If it is corroded, it may never be right... if it's a buildup (most likely), it can with effort, be cleaned out.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:55 PM
riverhntr1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the suggestions. I spent a couple hours scrubbing the bore with hopes, a bronze brush, and JB compound. That helped, but there was still a bit of resistance pushing a round into the chamber (by hand with the bolt removed). I let it soak with solvent in the barrel for a couple days, and cleaned out again with a bore brush an JB compound. The rounds now slide in and out of the chamber with no resistance.

I haven't tried any shorts in the rifle, mostly because they aren't usually locally available. I'll order some and try them next time I go to the range.

I don't really know how to check the extractor, but the rounds were really sticking in the chamber, so I think the extractor was just slipping off when I had to force the bolt back. I have two of the rifles, and bot appear to be functioning the same. Whit the bolt removed from the rifle, I put a round up against the bolt face, and the extractor engages the round.

Thanks again for the help, I'll keep you updated when I get back up north to shoot, which will likely be mid August.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:23 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink i bet you found it

as I stated above, I had same problem with my savage 29B, and mine is fixed now also. I don't think you will have any more trouble, just do as I do, STAY AWAY from ALL shorts!! LR ONLY.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:20 PM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhntr1 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I spent a couple hours scrubbing the bore with hopes, a bronze brush, and JB compound. That helped, but there was still a bit of resistance pushing a round into the chamber (by hand with the bolt removed). I let it soak with solvent in the barrel for a couple days, and cleaned out again with a bore brush an JB compound. The rounds now slide in and out of the chamber with no resistance.

I haven't tried any shorts in the rifle, mostly because they aren't usually locally available. I'll order some and try them next time I go to the range.

I don't really know how to check the extractor, but the rounds were really sticking in the chamber, so I think the extractor was just slipping off when I had to force the bolt back. I have two of the rifles, and bot appear to be functioning the same. Whit the bolt removed from the rifle, I put a round up against the bolt face, and the extractor engages the round.

Thanks again for the help, I'll keep you updated when I get back up north to shoot, which will likely be mid August.
Why?? You can get the same performance from LR sub sonics and not re foul the floating chamber. Just shoot LR.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:39 AM
grandparem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
Why?? You can get the same performance from LR sub sonics and not re foul the floating chamber. Just shoot LR.
He's not worried about performance, his problem is the LR case sticking... a short would show if the recoiling chamber and extractor is doing what it does and isolate the problem to the forward part of the chamber.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:20 PM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandparem View Post
He's not worried about performance, his problem is the LR case sticking... a short would show if the recoiling chamber and extractor is doing what it does and isolate the problem to the forward part of the chamber.
I get that but he stated:

So the simplest thing is to try some LR rounds in it. The problem may be solved without ordering shorts that can start the problem all over again.