Mags, mags , mags - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Watsky
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2017
Location: 
New Jersey
Posts: 
166
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mags, mags , mags



Log in to see fewer ads
Been having fun at the range with my new to me Trophy.
I bought it with 5 mags !
So I've been in the process of gradually adjusting them.
2 of them are Hamden era and likely came with the gun when it was new.
The other 3 are later HS mags I think. The follower is a lighter green and the rear lips are more like .773 from the breach face rather than the older mags .800/
It is very hard to get the "tool" for the lip adjustment to make things smaller .
Larger , no problem , but if you want to narrow things to get the bullet tip lower in the front lips its near impossible to bend the rear lips using the mag tool I got from the eBay.
What I'm seeing is that my ammunition wants a narrower dimension .
The tool has a gauge that is .185, my ammo wants things tighter than that by about .015 and that tool just rolls off that steel.
The older mags seem to be made of a more easily adjustable metal. They adjust with no problem , but these other things , not so much.
You guys have any tips for narrowing that rear lip ?

Last edited by Watsky; 06-04-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-07-2017, 08:50 PM
JVStalin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2009
Location: 
State of AK
Posts: 
677
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Bigger hammer ?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Alan Aronstein

Join Date: 
Sep 2010
Posts: 
895
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
High Standard(CT) Magazine Tool Design

The magazine adjustment tool that was designed by High Standard CT works perfectly !!! It has relief cuts to allow tweaking (NOT BENDING) of the lips in BOTH directions. I have never had a problem with that tool in adjusting ANY of the High Standard magazines. High Standard should have them in stock and even on SPECIAL at this time !!! If they are out, Brownells will have them. I will have some "X-Series" magazine adjustment tools ready for sale at Camp Perry. They will match the High Standard tools as I am having a print made for production at this time.- Alan Aronstein
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 06-07-2017, 11:18 PM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
May 2015
Posts: 
272
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of your problems is that you are not using the correct method for adjusting the lips.

Take the magazine in your left hand as if it were in the gun pointing forward.

Take the tool in your right hand and place the slot of the tool on the right lip.
Rotate the tool and magazine so that the tool is horizontal - the magazine will be pointing downward at an angle of about 45 degrees.

I imagine you are attempting to adjust the lip by rotating the tool upward.
The tool will tend to slip off the lip and be stopped by hitting the opposite lip.

Here is the correct way to adjust the lip.
Imagine there is a hinge at the rear of the right lip.

Instead of pushing the tool up, you should push the tool forward so that the lip as a whole rotates about the imaginary hinge to the left.

When adjusting the lips, put a pop top from a soda can in the slot of the magazine to hold the follower out of the way.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-08-2017, 07:19 AM
HIghstandardguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2009
Location: 
NC
Posts: 
1,553
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Maybe I've just missed it over the years, but this is the first useful information I've seen on HOW to adjust the mags. Thank you moonjohn!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Watsky
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2017
Location: 
New Jersey
Posts: 
166
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonjohn View Post
One of your problems is that you are not using the correct method for adjusting the lips.
That may be correct sir !

At any rate I have things going right at present.
I adjusted the mags last week and have been to the range several times since and all is well .
I need a new mag spring for one of them but aside from that its bang, bang,bang .
One thing I might mention is that after having the 6lb Wolff spring in there because they were back ordered on the 5.5lb , I received the 5.5 lb , installed it and by gum it has that gun going great.
No failure to battery or failure to feed . The 5.5 lb spring improved the mag feed.
Seems more synchronized to the SV CCI I'm using.
FWIW .... and with a grain of salt.
I ordered a mag from InterArms which someone steered me too as being currently the best available . Interested to see how that operates in this pistol.
As it is the firearm is one accurate machine. Putting shots in the black at 25 yards with moderate effort , in slow fire at least.
Very happy to have this HS to shoot with.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-11-2017, 02:38 PM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
May 2015
Posts: 
272
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsky View Post
...
I need a new mag spring for one of them ...
Why do you need to replace the magazine spring?

The reason I ask is because I have never seen an original High Standard magazine spring that needed to be replaced.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Watsky
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2017
Location: 
New Jersey
Posts: 
166
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonjohn View Post
Why do you need to replace the magazine spring?

The reason I ask is because I have never seen an original High Standard magazine spring that needed to be replaced.
Paranoia
I'm sure that the slide springs don't break but they do wear and weaken.
There was so much talk on the net about damaged frames that it led me down the path of at least examining the spring that was in the gun.
The former owner never did any maintenance on the gun but he was at least the second owner.
I figured if I was going to examine the spring anyway for side wear that while I was in there I may as well replace it.
The Idea being that if the gun had had at least 10,000 k rounds put through it , it would have a weakened and worn spring.
So I opened it up and indeed the spring had side wear, so it must have been under the standard 5.5lb strength. I changed it .
It operates more reliably now. More consistent .
Happy to have done that and freshened up the slide lock spring and firing pin spring as well.

(My bad , I'm replacing the mag spring because one of the mags mis feeds on the 9th round every time.
I figure it must be a spring tension issue or a follower issue. I'll replace them. I'll be off to tinker town. )

All I need to do is shoot it now !
I am a technician, so I have a shop and every tool in the universe. For me its fun. Made sure I have the right punches and drivers and a block.
I'm good to go !
Bang !

Last edited by Watsky; 06-11-2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: my idiocy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-11-2017, 04:19 PM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
May 2015
Posts: 
272
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsky View Post
... My bad , I'm replacing the mag spring because one of the mags mis feeds on the 9th round every time.
I figure it must be a spring tension issue or a follower issue. I'll replace them. ...
When you say 9th round, are you counting from the top or the bottom.
That is, with a fully loaded 10 round magazine, would the 9th round be second from the top or second from the bottom.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Watsky
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2017
Location: 
New Jersey
Posts: 
166
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonjohn View Post
When you say 9th round, are you counting from the top or the bottom.
That is, with a fully loaded 10 round magazine, would the 9th round be second from the top or second from the bottom.
The second to last fired round.
In other words the one before the last round .
It hi feeds and jams every time.
Every other round is golden.
The mag lip is adjusted exactly like the 4 others which function properly.
All 5 mags now have the same distance from the front of the rear lips to the breach.
This one does this little trick.
I was thinking it might be spring tension because they have all been cleaned with naphtha and lightly oiled.
So I was thinking spring and follower replacement.
Could be worth a shot , so to speak.
Disassembled the mag cleaned it again and stretched the spring a bit , the follower looks like all the others.
I'll see whats what on Wednesday at the club.

Last edited by Watsky; 06-11-2017 at 08:54 PM. Reason: closing the loop
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-12-2017, 08:58 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2003
Location: 
Hesperia, CA
Posts: 
7,239
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The recoil springs do not get tired (metal fatigue) but wear. They live in a tight cavity in the slide. As they compress they expand a bit in spring diameter, scrapping on the inside of the cavity. Metal wears off the sides (as the poster saw) reducing the spring tension. Less metal in the spring wire diameter gets less spring force overall.

The limits for these recoil springs is a reduction in recoil spring force when at the collapsed length in the gun of 10% from the nominal 5.5 pound new force. It is difficult to measure so the alternative is round count. Change the spring after 10 to 15 thousand rounds through the gun. Better safe than sorry.

LDBennett
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-12-2017, 09:48 AM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

Join Date: 
May 2015
Posts: 
272
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsky View Post
...The mag lip is adjusted exactly like the 4 others which function properly. ...
The advertised .185" spacing is essentially meaningless.
The spacing between the rear lips will be unique for each magazine.
The spacing should be set so that each individual magazine feeds the cartridges cleanly.
If you set them all at .185", you will typically have no joy.
.................................................. ................
There are two basic types of feed failures.

One is what I call a "short feed".
The rim of the cartridge is at the chamber elevation and the cartridge is essentially loaded except the slide is about 1/8" to 1/2" short of fully closing.

Another failure is when the bullet is partially in the chamber; but the rim of the cartridge has not been elevated to the chamber level, and the cartridge is jammed at an angle of about 45 degrees.

Are you saying that your lead bullet hits the sharp top edge of the chamber and sticks there - never entering the chamber?
.................................................. ................
Are the magazine followers metal or plastic?
If plastic, what color are they.
Are they a pastel green, a bright green, red, cream, or a dark green, etc.
The reason I ask is that I'm interested in knowing if your magazines are original High Standard Magazines.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 AM
HSWayne's Avatar
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Jul 2008
Posts: 
731
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magazine ID

Here is a photo that may be useful to help identify magazines. The photo shows an original CT magazine at the top, a post 2005 produced TX magazine in the middle, and a post 2005 Triple K magazine at the bottom. The TX magazines bodies are made by Triple K and then TX heat treats the upper portion and assembles the magazines with original style followers. Otherwise, they are the same as Triple K. Note the round count markings on the CT magazine. This is the easiest way to tell an original CT magazine. The TX magazine is marked with HS near the base. The Triple K magazine has the lime green colored follower.
HS magazines 022.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-12-2017, 02:27 PM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2003
Location: 
Hesperia, CA
Posts: 
7,239
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Early TX magazines are not heat treated. Only buy the latest ones from them or the InterarmsTX magazines from Alan Aronstein. The latest and supposedly the best yet since the Connecticut magazines are the InterarmsTX magazines, a version beyond what Hi Std of Texas sells and lots better that the Triple K mags you get at gun shows or a one of three choices at Brownells. Brownells sell the InterarmsTX magazines too.

The nominal dimensions for the lips are only a starting point if adjustment of the lips is required. Posts here show that InterarmsTX magazines usually work well right out of the box. Others may or may not (??).

As an aside, if your gun is an early Texas Hi Std gun (not the last stainless version) the mag well may be too big and it may take a lot of work to get it to feed ammo reliably or at all (that was the case of mine until Alan Aronstein swapped frames for me for the stainless as-cast finished frame).

LDBennett
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-12-2017, 02:51 PM
gregbenner

Join Date: 
Apr 2016
Posts: 
859
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have several HS magazines, many from Interarms. Had troble getting them to feed 100% reliably with 10 rds. At the recommendation of my LGS. I have started loading only 5 rounds/mag. Have not had any issues with any of them since I have read this before, have also read it is a patch, not a cure

Since several of my pistols only have 5 rd mags to start with this isn't an issue for me, and it's easier and more fun than screwing with the magazines or FTFs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x