Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:53 PM
rcutch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 41 re-assembly problem

I just field stripped and cleaned my model 41 and the slide WILL NOT engage the slide stop with enough contact to hold the slide back. It looks as if it was designed with very little contact area when the stop is pushed up.

Any ideas? There is a burr on the slide where the stop engages, but not that large. I really hope I'm missing something.

Thanks.

Randy
Old 04-05-2019, 05:12 PM
Shootin4Xs
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you disconnected the slide stop when disassembling it may not be in the proper position in the gun.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:29 PM
rcutch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nope. Never took stop out. Its in the correct position.

It looks as if the burr may be the problem. Poor design on that component in my opinion if its that finicky.

I'm super bummed out. Gun is otherwise gorgeous. I paid $995 plus tax for it. Its going back to the store I bought it from. They apparently never field stripped it because it was dirty and had old grease built up in it. I cleaned up great though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 06:36 PM
aprilian
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Slide stop spring can "jump" out of the indent it needs to go into - I'd check there.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Shootin4Xs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Was the slide stop working prior to field stripping?
Old 04-05-2019, 07:36 PM
rcutch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Slide stop spring seems okay to me.

I had the slide locked back at the dealer's checking the bore with a bore light.

Would the magazine in the gun provide a more positive lock open?
Old 04-05-2019, 07:52 PM
Shootin4Xs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does the slide lock back with mag inserted?
Old 04-05-2019, 08:13 PM
rcutch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the mag dis-assembled. If I put the housing in and lock it, once in a while the slide will lock back, but not on the slide stop. the slide stop will actually catch on the side of the magazine housing somehow.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:32 AM
rcutch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I re-assembled the magazine and inserted it into the frame. The slide then held back and I was able to assemble the barrel onto the gun. With the barrel on the gun, the slide now holds open with or without the magazine inserted.

Does anyone else have this situation with their model 41?
Old 04-06-2019, 06:17 PM
saread

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one that does that. I just hold the slide stop up with my thumb when I put the barrel on. No big deal. I've had 2 separate slides that peen where the slide stop contacts. Eventually, you won't be able to lock back your slide at all. I know a pretty good welder that was able to help me out with the issue.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:04 PM
oldshot50

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
If you use the slide stop lever to release the slide forward, you may be inadvertently damaging the slide stop. I was told to always "slingshot" the slide to close the action. We have 2 model 41s and treat both the same way. To date, we have not experienced your problem. Can't absolutely say this is why I haven't had your problem, but it works for us.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:57 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always use the slingshot method of releasing the slide on my 41 as well as my Ruger semi-auto pistols. Just pushing the slide stop down to release the slide will accelerate wear on the slide stop lever and slide.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:22 PM
rcutch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks everyone. Yes, I totally agree with the slingshot method. I practice this as well with all my semi-autos. As I bought this gun used, I'm not sure of its prior history. I may put a new slide release unit in the gun at some point.

For now, I'm going to hopefully have time to check this puppy out at the range for the first time this week. I have 5 different types of ammo (all SV) including the CCI SV that everyone seems to like. I'll then field strip the gun and clean it again. As long as the slide stays open after the last shot, I guess I can live with holding the release up with my thumb as saread does when re-assembling the gun.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:23 PM
rcutch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks everyone. Yes, I totally agree with the slingshot method. I practice this as well with all my semi-autos. As I bought this gun used, I'm not sure of its prior history. I may put a new slide release unit in the gun at some point.

For now, I'm going to hopefully have time to check this puppy out at the range for the first time this week. I have 5 different types of ammo (all SV) including the CCI SV that everyone seems to like. I'll then field strip the gun and clean it again. As long as the slide stays open after the last shot, I guess I can live with holding the release up with my thumb as saread does when re-assembling the gun.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:49 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Model 41 re-assembly problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post

I always use the slingshot method of releasing the slide on my 41 as well as my Ruger semi-auto pistols. Just pushing the slide stop down to release the slide will accelerate wear on the slide stop lever and slide.
Use of the slingshot method to release the slide on any semi-auto pistol has one

additional advantage. With this technique, the slide is positioned as far rearward

as is possible. This condition compresses the recoil spring a bit more and it also

increases the distance the slide must travel before it is fully closed. The slide then

has some extra oomph when chambering that first round. This a good thing!