Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:53 AM
Mark75H
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 81 clone WA Revolution bolt hard to close

Doesn't bother me much other than I have to lift it off the bench to rack it when I'm bench rest shooting. Pretty sure my daughter would not be able to close the bolt by herself without resting the butt on the bench or ground and holding the fore grip down as she works the bolt up.

I'm considering adding a little taper to the beginning of the bolt to make it "ramp in" a little rather than slamming the bolt closed hard every time. It opens easily and the rest of the stroke is smooth and easy, nothing is binding. I guess the gun is hardly worn in.

Is there something I am missing or have others encountered the same thing?

Last edited by Mark75H; 07-02-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:40 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Exclamation my Marlin 81DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
Doesn't bother me much other than I have to lift it off the bench to rack it when I'm bench rest shooting. Pretty sure my daughter would not be able to close the bolt by herself without resting the butt on the bench or ground and holding the fore grip down as she works the bolt up.

I'm considering adding a little taper to the beginning of the bolt to make it "ramp in" a little rather than slamming the bolt closed hard every time. It opens easily and the rest of the stroke is smooth and easy, nothing is binding. I guess the gun is hardly worn in.

Is there something I am missing or have others encountered the same thing?
has the hardest to operate bolt of any bolt gun I have EVER shot! I think it is just part of the design, when you push the bolt closed you are pushing down on the big cartridge lifter. not much you can do to make it easier. after a range session my hand is sore from operating the bolt.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:55 PM
newbie2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Did you ever check the headspace?? Also, extract a round that you chambered without firing . Inspect it for indications it was jammed into the lands.
I think that model may lock up on the bolt root and receiver. See it you can get a feeler gauge in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2018, 01:58 PM
Mark75H

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The action of the bolt is the same with and without a cartridge present. To me that would indicate headspace is not the problem.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:09 PM
newbie2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Paint the bolt up with dy-kem and see where it is binding.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:56 PM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Later today after my errands I'll check my JC Higgins store brand 80 and my Marlin 80DL and see how the bolts feel in those and let you know.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:05 AM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I found my 80DL today but not my JC Higgins 80.I keep #4 drywall anchors in all my .22's and with the anchor in it the bolt handle is a little hard to crank up,but the bolt moves to the rear and back forward easily and the bolt handle goes back down cocking it easily.
I'll try it a little later with the drywall anchor out,I know the rims on them are a little thicker than .22 rims.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:15 PM
newbie2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Perhaps a bolt cleaning and some high pressure grease on the cocking cam. Sometimes they can gall and drag.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:50 PM
Mark75H

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2 View Post
Perhaps a bolt cleaning and some high pressure grease on the cocking cam. Sometimes they can gall and drag.
The bolt is clean and no parts are galled.

I looked closely and it appears its just drag over the lifter - particular to a tube mag gun.

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I was hoping from the beginning to get advice specific to the 81 rather than the generic suggestions.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Singlesix1961
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No problem

I have a Western Auto Supply 81dl. I am 68 and have no problem cycling the bolt whatever. Sure it's a little stiff but no big deal.