Can we chat about adjustable scope bases? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:51 AM
Trashyshoots

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can we chat about adjustable scope bases?

I regularly shoot .22 out to 200 yards but I would like to push it to 500. I already know I need an adjustable base, and i would like to take some wear and tear away from my scopes when I adjust from 50 to 200 yards regularly. Are the ivey bases worth the cost over the moabs?

http://iveyshooting.com

https://heritage-arms.com/product-ca...e-scope-bases/

The ivey has built in rings essentially making you choose a scope with the tube diameter you order, but its one less "fail point"
Old 09-10-2019, 08:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The best move I made was to put the duplex crosshairs to use for our 200yd silhouette shoots.
For 50 and 100 I use the fine center, for distance I use the thick 6:00 duplex as a pointed post. This gives me the elevation out there and minimizes the adj. clicks.
BUT, ya gotta Remember Which You Are Using, it is easy to default to the center!
Each station change I check my book for the adjustment, which has not only the 'numbers' but a sketch of a circle(scope) with the 'hairs used as a real visual.
Im thinking about trying a mil-dot for next season.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 PM
68hoyt

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have been looking at these instead of the adjustable base
https://www.axeonoptics.com/axeon-second-zero
Same company but more expensive / rugged
https://tacomhq.com/charlie-tarac/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 PM
REA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It wouldn't be worth it to me.

With an swfa scope, my .22 is good to 400 with a zero moa base. Dip has a 25 moa base but is not adjustable. Then there are the burris signature ring with inserts.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:52 PM
shootsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
83% (19)
I agree with REA
I have an Ivey on a 338 Lapua mag but it's a bit much for a rimfire IMHO.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:02 AM
LeShaghal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
500yrd setups

We have members with the following;

-Coldshot base under Kahles varmint dot (all adjustment done with base)

-HHA horizon under nikon .22 prostaff rimfire (Used both ways)

-MTC Viper PRO with FX "No limits" rings" (No adjustment lost to set Zero, planetary turret prevents getting lost)

-HAwk Vantage rimfire (good to 200yrds)

-A few guys use 3-4x scopes with lots of stadia int he reticle [nightforce, MTC, Zeiss] and just use their marks. (This is good enough for a basketball aut to about 400yrds)

- We have one guy, who uses a second focal plane scope, lots of stadia, and adjusts the POWER ring!!! (one hash [email protected] 10x, means 20moa at 5x) Its Kooky, but he knows his numbers and it works for him.

-And Finally, The often overlooked, Unertl! (With subsonics a 3/4" unertl will take you to about 460yrds)

Whats best?.....well, it depends.

For outright accuracy; MTC, Coldshot, and Unertl. They shoot these like varmint rifles. The ammo is the limiting factor here.

Best bang for your buck: Hawke Vantage Rimfire. Its $100.

For "field use" its the straight tube low power guys;
Our crow shoot is life sized crow steel from 10-300yrds unknown yardage.
There's not a lot of time for "clicking" and here the low power scopes are unmatched! Exception being the HHA horizon, He guesses his range and dials to shoot. Takes seconds. They shoot say 1/2 as well as the big scopes

Summary:
Its more about Familiarity with what you have, than what you have! Choose based on your budget and play style.
From the bench or prone its all ammo and wind. Off-hand scores say more about the Indian than his arrow. Very seldom do I see the scope setup (or rifle for that matter) holding the shooter back! Practice more, purchase less.

Here's a great example of what you "NEED"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcSzAESgLJY&t=991s

Just my 2cents.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When we first started shooting our local 1000 yard matches with our long-range bolt action pistols with pistol scopes we figured out really fast holdover don't work. I found a fella in Selma Alabama making an adjustable base using a dial indicator to set present positions to make holdover a bit easier for all the distances we shot. They were a variable gantry mount. VGM for short. They worked and are still on a couple guns including a Freedom Arms 44 mag set up to experiment out to 500 yards.

To get back to long-range rimfire shooting the absolute simplest and best solution is put a fixed MOA increased base/mount on the gun and a scope with lots of verticle travel to dial every distance. I feel pretty safe in saying my SWFA scopes on my rimfires have been cranked up, down and sideways more than most shooters will do in a lifetime.

My matches have 15 stages which is dialed to each distance, I loan the guns to other and they are used by others multiple times a week to show others what long-range rimfire is like. We also shoot multiple matches each month and they have never failed to dial exactly perfect at every distance.

A 20 moa mount is usually sufficient for most shooters reaching easily to 200 yards plus, a 30 moa let's you get out to where it gets interesting and most of mine have 50 moa with the 40x having a NF 55 moa mount for ELR matches out to 500 yards with being able to dial every distance.

I use SWFA MOA-Quad on most of them with well over 125 moa of travel. The 40X has a NF ATACR with 31 mil of available verticle travel. The adjustable mounts do work and have their place but usually raise the scope a lot higher above the gun which makes it more critical to a slight can't.

Some shooters at my matches use higher end scopes but for the money the SWFA line has excellent mechanics, decent glass and I'm a big fan of their floating dot in the MOA-Quad reticle. Some matches have big enough targets holdover may work but for the steel plate matches we shoot that won't cut it. Hard to estimate a one or two click holdover on a small, distant target.

Everyone has their own idea on what works, I'm just passing along what we do for our long-range matches. Hope whatever you decide works for you and you only have to do it once.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 01-02-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:05 PM
LeShaghal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topstrap44 View Post
... My matches have 15 stages....
Topstrap
What Size targets are we talking at your matches? Just give some general sizes per range/stage please. I'd like to better understand the nature of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our member with the Coldshot-Kahles combo had Great glass with a good reticle, but only 30moa Total adjustment in the scope. So the plate was his solution. It works well and doesn't give him trouble. Its just that price hurtle.

The HHA optimizer/Horizon (Horizon, with wheel on left, no longer manufactured) were and are awesome. At $150 we jumped on "The Dial of Death" while playing with PCP airguns during the great .22 shortage. Unfortunately they're Right hand dial only now. So unless you're a lefty...womp womp. I was eager to see someone get on a Ravin jackplate but at 2x the price no one took the plunge.

As to the fixed MOA base: they work great Buuuuuut With an MOA based you are married to that angle and will lose some elevation adjustment to zeroing the rifle.
So in addition I ALWAYS SUGGEST the FX No Limits Rings!!!! (linked in blue text)
An older guy showed up with a set of these on his 40x. Now 6 of us have them, myself included

-Dial your scope All the way up ^....MAX that puppy out!
-Zero the rifle (using the rings) at the bullet's apogee (say 50yrds)
-Lock the rings and enjoy all those sweet sweet clicks you're about to dial down with.

Again, that means the TOTAL AVAILABLE ELEVATION adjustment can be used to extend the range. Just like the diagram below only there's no adjustment wasted above the red line.

Add to that, a reticle with HEAPS of vertical Stadia/Hash marks
And you can push out EVEN FARTHER STILL!!!!

Last edited by LeShaghal; 01-20-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:26 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think the idea has merit. However, I am not willing to use a 2+ pound mount or spend $400 - $500 on an adjustable base.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:31 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=LeShaghal;11725451]What Size targets are we talking at your matches? Just give some general sizes per range/stage please. I'd like to better understand the nature of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a short video on YouTube showing the racks I used in a match. Sometimes I switch them around or move other ones in. I could make it a lot harder but I try to keep it where shooters can hit most with decent equipment and experience and the top shooters battle it out with a few harder targets.

https://youtu.be/r61EeOrbdLI

I like the odd shapes and just by rotating the way they hang it moves the sweet spot slightly so shooters have to slightly change their aiming spot on them for the best hit advantage. Calm day, go for more verticle to cover a dropped round and if it's windy go for more horizontal for slight wind changes.

Everyone has their own idea on how to best set up their equipment for their particular game but I like dialing each distance to be more exact. NRL/PRS type matches are different in they shoot from barricades and obstacles usually at multiple distances in a short time limit. There isn't usually enough time to dial so you calculate and use holdover but the targets are usually larger.

Topstrap

Last edited by Topstrap44; 01-04-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:57 PM
Balvar24
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Unertl anyone?
Old 01-06-2020, 05:37 PM
supersharp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pretty cool till I saw the price
Old 01-06-2020, 06:56 PM
lefty222
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
l have seen this FX No Limits Rings! at the range on some 22 rifles, the guys that had this rings had made a step block gauge each step would correspond with set yardage that they would shoot at, loosen screws slip gauge in the gauge tighten screws slip out gauge and zero the scope.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:12 PM
LeShaghal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
take a gander here

I'm a big fan using holdover points at low power....Its NOT the best system just a personal preference.
in that verve, I shoot my personal favorite, the MTC connect, and have always liked the Russian SVD chevron reticle with the stadiametric rangefinder scale but could never marry the features of the two.

fast forward a bit.

In building up a Steyr RFR, I ran across a source for the SV-99 scopes. (SV-99=IZH 7-2 based sniper rifle) Big FOV, Range-finding reticle, 0 eye relief...Pricey, but this thing was singing my song.
A fellow member saw my post in the Steyr forum and asked my opinion of the MTC SWAT????
I'd never seen one, didn't even know they made a collimator type scope....
a quick google later and I SEE THIS!!!!!

If your scope is light enough to sneak by on a single beefed up ring,
That is a fair bit of adjustment. None of it on the fly unfortunately, and the teeth look pretty coarse,
but its an adjustable base...and now we all know its an option.