Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:01 PM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
5mm First Impressions

Having acquired a new (old) Rem 592 in 5mm Mag, I spend an afternoon cleaning, lubricating and function checking the action and trigger mechanism. When I took delivery the rifle would not function and the trigger was stuck. Action would not cock etc. After soaking in Kroil and working with it, I found the sear pivot was gummed up from about 30yrs of sitting. Once clean it all functioned as it should. Took it to a remote spot and fired and cycled 5rds thru the old girl using the iron sites just to make certain the safety worked and the gun wen bang when it was supposed to. All OK. This weekend, I robbed a 6-24x scope off of another rifle and fitted it to the 5mm. Today, I took it to the range and zeroed the optic. Took me about 5 shots to get it where it was hitting the bullseye at 50y. It was very windy so I did not attempt to get a perfect zero. But, it is on tgt. First Impressions:

1.) The 5mm is a lot more powerful than all of the 17cal rimfires with possible exception of the WSM.
2.) The muzzle blast and recoil exceeds all of my 17's including the WSM.
3.) While it gets hot, the bbl does not heat as fast as the WSM and accuracy did not appear to suffer as the bbl warmed
4.) Action was a little stiff and ejecting spend rds was spotty. At least three empty cases came out of the chamber but failed to clear the action and ended up laying on the next round. Id did not notice this in the previous test session. The spent cases were dark and gummy and had some weird indentations in them. Would like to examine the chamber with a bore-scope.
5.) The tube magazine and feed mech functioned flawlessly.
6.) This old Remington action design (same as 540XR and 541) lives up to its reputation for exceptional accuracy. While I never really shot any true groups, it was placing multiple shots in the USBRA 50y bull's 10ring at 50y and was sniping shards of broken clay birds at 100y with ease considering the high winds in the 15-20mph range.
7.) I am expecting this to be too much rifle for squirrels. Would make a nice light weight groundhog/coyote rig.

Irish
Old 12-30-2019, 04:38 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like you got an accurate winner Irish.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:41 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG26_Irish View Post
Having acquired a new (old) Rem 592 in 5mm Mag, I spend an afternoon cleaning, lubricating and function checking the action and trigger mechanism. When I took delivery the rifle would not function and the trigger was stuck. Action would not cock etc. After soaking in Kroil and working with it, I found the sear pivot was gummed up from about 30yrs of sitting. Once clean it all functioned as it should. Took it to a remote spot and fired and cycled 5rds thru the old girl using the iron sites just to make certain the safety worked and the gun wen bang when it was supposed to. All OK. This weekend, I robbed a 6-24x scope off of another rifle and fitted it to the 5mm. Today, I took it to the range and zeroed the optic. Took me about 5 shots to get it where it was hitting the bullseye at 50y. It was very windy so I did not attempt to get a perfect zero. But, it is on tgt. First Impressions:

1.) The 5mm is a lot more powerful than all of the 17cal rimfires with possible exception of the WSM.
2.) The muzzle blast and recoil exceeds all of my 17's including the WSM.
3.) While it gets hot, the bbl does not heat as fast as the WSM and accuracy did not appear to suffer as the bbl warmed
4.) Action was a little stiff and ejecting spend rds was spotty. At least three empty cases came out of the chamber but failed to clear the action and ended up laying on the next round. Id did not notice this in the previous test session. The spent cases were dark and gummy and had some weird indentations in them. Would like to examine the chamber with a bore-scope.
5.) The tube magazine and feed mech functioned flawlessly.
6.) This old Remington action design (same as 540XR and 541) lives up to its reputation for exceptional accuracy. While I never really shot any true groups, it was placing multiple shots in the USBRA 50y bull's 10ring at 50y and was sniping shards of broken clay birds at 100y with ease considering the high winds in the 15-20mph range.
7.) I am expecting this to be too much rifle for squirrels. Would make a nice light weight groundhog/coyote rig.

Irish
The left/primary extractor is also the ejector and the forward end of the extractor is part of the chamber. The chamber part imprints a U shape on the fired case. The primary extractor slides back as the bolt is pulled back, when it reaches the end of its travel the extractor then becomes the ejector springing forward to kick the round or empty case to the right. The chamber may need a good cleaning or the primary extractor may be sticking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2019, 06:07 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My father in law loved using his 5mm for squirrels as he also got a chance at a fox every now and then. He only head shot them though.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:28 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass37 View Post
The left/primary extractor is also the ejector and the forward end of the extractor is part of the chamber. The chamber part imprints a U shape on the fired case. The primary extractor slides back as the bolt is pulled back, when it reaches the end of its travel the extractor then becomes the ejector springing forward to kick the round or empty case to the right. The chamber may need a good cleaning or the primary extractor may be sticking.
I hope you don't mind Glass, I've added part of your post to the sticky for further clarification of the workings of the 5MM.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:30 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Fine with me.

Last edited by Glass37; 12-31-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:41 AM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
5mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass37 View Post
Glass37 - Thank You very much for the troubleshooting guide on the old Rem. My guess is that it is still a little gummed up from sitting idle for so long. Crappy weather and other distractions have prevented my monkeying with it further yet. I have a whole stack of firearms to detail clean this weekend and hope to drag out the 5mm again for some diagnostics. I thought the bolt was loose and floppy on the rifle's carrier.

Irish
Old 01-30-2020, 12:30 AM
jcloer1
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go easy

I speak from experience in warning you to be very careful when trying to remove spent cases. While they are designed to be rugged actions, the bolt handle can be broken off if tapping on it too hard. I recommend keeping a 17 cal cleaning rod handy when you plan to shoot it much. The brass comes out easily using a rod with no risk of damage to the gun.

Enjoy! The 5mm is a fantastic cartridge and does quite a number on sage rats!
Old 01-31-2020, 02:27 PM
Glass37
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found that on mine, even with a clean chamber, if I waited 10-15 seconds the empty would extract fairly easy.