Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:26 PM
BGAndrea

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Newbie needs scope recommendation!!!

Hi All, I am new to the world of 22 rifles (well since being a kid). As an AR builder the idea of customizing a 10/22 intrigued me. I bought a factory composite carbine, Kidd 3/3oz trigger, Stocky's stock (still on backorder), and had planned on a bull barrel which I am still going to do but I fell in love with the laminated Anachutz 1416 and bought 2, a 22 and a 17HMR. So, until the 10/22 stock comes in and I pick a barrel, it is on the back burner. So, I need a scope for my Anschutz. I purchased a Nikon 3-9 Rimfire EFR, which don't get me wrong is a great scope. The problem is, I can't see my shots past 50 yards or so. I don't want to have to look back and forth with a spotting scope. However, all of the higher magnification glass I've seen and used understandably has a huge objective and are very long. In my opinion it kills the sexy look of the Anschutz. So, my question is, what is the best (money no object) higher magnification scope I can get that doesn't look rediculous on a little .22? I guess the objective size on the Nikon is ok, but with a thicker tube and longer IDK. My dream scope would be a 5-50x30mm 13" long illuminated zero stop hand adjustable windage and elevation in MRAD with a fairly simple reticle that shows both elevation and windage holdover. I mostly shoot from the bench so weight not really a factor. I just would prefer something smaller in overall appearance. Being a long range precision guy who shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle, I'm curious to try maxing out the accurate range of a 22, so the scope would be for everything from benchrest competitions to plinking to long-range attempts. Recommendations would be great. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:40 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Check out the Weaver V and T series
Old 09-17-2017, 09:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Weaver Grand Slam scopes top down 4-16x, 5-20x, and a V-16x.

these are the shorties I know about. Check out the 5-20x varmint EBX reticle. Might work for you. SavagePlinker will be along to suggest his 5-20 Trijicon which is a fantastic scope or Smoothtrigger that will suggest a Leupold VX-6 3-15x44mm scope.

Everybody has there favorite.

Good luck on your quest.

Signalman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2017, 09:09 PM
BGAndrea

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys! Some great options to consider. I forgot to mention FFP preferable. In the meantime, I am having a grand ole' time with this Nikon 3-9. I will only put Eley ammo down my rifle's barrel and tried their subsonic the other day in the backyard. I have chicken wire stapled to a 4 post and rail fence around my property. I got a metal spinning target with 3 sizes and stuck the posts between the fence and the chicken wire at the top to hold it. Then I lined up 10 matches next to the spinners. At 25 yards **** if this little rifle didn't get every single one of them. And I am not professing to be a good shooter. I was just lying prone, put a Harris bipod on the Anschutz, and just used my left hand to adjust the stock. I still shoot with ear plugs however I tried without for one shot to hear what the neighbors would hear, and it was not bad at all. I have a supressor in BATF jail right now...about 6 more months...smh. I can't imagine how quiet it is with subsonic ammo AND THE supressor.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:14 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
The Weaver GS 5-20 that Signalman suggested is an excellent scope. It does have a 50mm front objective but I have them mounted on several rimfires and they don't look out of place at all.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:27 PM
afret
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put a 4-16x44 Grand Slam on my Annie and it seems to fit it OK. I'm shooting CCI Quiet .22LR ammo so I won't disturb my neighbors and they are quieter than my Hammerli CO2 pellet gun. In fact groups of deer keep trying to walk between the target and me so I have to keep chasing them away. The sound of the CCI Quiets don't bother the deer at all.
I built a backstop at 30 yards behind my house since that's how much of the forest I had cleared and the CCI Quiets are amazingly accurate. I've had a few 5 shot groups that have barely enlarged the first hole even though I'm a poor shot. I finally just recently cut down a bunch more trees and got the stumps out so I have another backstop at 50 yards. I'm switching to a bigger scope (4.5-30x50) for 50 yards since my old retired vision isn't too great.

Last edited by afret; 10-01-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Afret sir it looks good what reticle did you get: Dual X, EBX or Varmint EBX ?? You surprised me I thought you did not want to get the GS scope. So how do you like the scope...I hope it works for you.

SM
Old 09-18-2017, 11:10 PM
afret
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
Afret sir it looks good what reticle did you get: Dual X, EBX or Varmint EBX ?? You surprised me I thought you did not want to get the GS scope. So how do you like the scope...I hope it works for you.

SM
I got the GS after buying the Annie. It has the Dual X and it's a great scope. The 16X works great for me at 30 yards but I wanted a bit more magnification for when I start shooting at my 50 yard backstop so I ordered the Bushnell. I was thinking of getting the 5-20 GS or maybe a used Big Sky but found out about the Bushnell.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:53 AM
cnc1951

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Leupold VX2 4-12x40 AO from Opticsagent $268.17 and free shipping.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:29 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afret View Post
I put a 4-16x44 Grand Slam on my Annie and it seems to fit it OK. I'm shooting CCI Quiet .22LR ammo so I won't disturb my neighbors and they are quieter than my Hammerli CO2 pellet gun. In fact groups of deer keep trying to walk between the target and me so I have to keep chasing them away. The sound of the CCI Quiets don't bother the deer at all.
I built a backstop at 30 yards behind my house since that's how much of the forest I had cleared and the CCI Quiets are amazingly accurate. I've had a few 5 shot groups that have barely enlarged the first hole even though I'm a poor shot. I finally just recently cut down a bunch more trees and got the stumps out so I have another backstop at 50 yards. I'm switching to a bigger scope (4.5-30x50) for 50 yards since my old retired vision isn't too great.
How steady is the shooting pod, make.
Whats under the tarp, Al wondered to himself eagerly.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is the scores and equipment list from my shoot last weekend. We only shoot out to 197 yards at my matches but stretch them out to 500 yards at times. Check and see what scope is mostly used. It's the SWFA fixed power, I prefer the newer MOA-Quad in 20x because they work. 120+ moa elevation travel, excellent repeatable mechanics, a bit touchy on the eye box but once used to it no problems, focuses down to well under 25 yards and built like a tank. You'll find that shooting at distance you have to see what you are aiming at, a lot of my targets in the match are small enough a low power scope will cover them up. It's easy to hold slightly for wind shifts when you can see the target at a decent size. I'd say no less than 16x for 200 yards and the BR guys use really high power stuff but at distance mirage becomes a big factor.

Score Name Gun Scope Ammo

100 Dennis Kirkpatrick Rem 40x SWFA 20x Wolf MT Got Bonus
99 Mike Moore (5) Savage SWFA Wolf MT Got bonus
99 Will Keller (2) Anschutz Super Match SWFA Wolf MT Got Bonus
98 Mike Moore (2) Savage SWFA Wolf MT Got Bonus
97 Bill Nesbitt (1) Anschutz MPR SWFA Wolf MT
96 Mike Moore (1) Savage SWFA Wolf MT Got Bonus
97 John Schumacher Anschutz MPR SWFA Wolf MT
96 Carl Duvall (2) Savage Bushnell Wolf MT Got Bonus
96 Carl Duvall (1) Savage Bushnell Wolf MT Got Bonus
95 Mike Moore (4) Savage SWFA Wolf MT Got Bonus
94 Jim Lochary Anschutz MPR Leupold Eley Target
94 Ted Kernik (2) H&R Mod 12 SWFA Wolf MT
94 Dave Calipare (1) Ruger 10/22 with Douglas barrel Night Force Wolf MT
94 Mike Moore (3) Savage SWFA Wolf MT
94 Rube Perkins Ruger 10/22 with Douglas barrel Night Force Wolf MT
93 Dave Pritts H&R Mod 12 SWFA Tac-22
93 Randy Wise Anschutz Exemplar Pistol Night Force Federal
92 Carl Duvall (4) Savage Bushnell Wolf MT
92 Will Keller (1) Anschutz Super Match SWFA Wolf MT
90 Dan Piatt CZ SWFA Wolf MT
90 Ted Kernik (1) H&R Mod 12 SWFA Wolf MT
89 Cuda CZ 452 SWFA SK
88 Charlene Kirkpatrick Anschutz Super Match SWFA Wolf MT Got Bonus
88 Jeff Stull Fedderson 10/22 SWFA SK
87 Bill Nesbitt Ruger 10/22 Mueller Wolf MT
86 Bill Robertson Savage/Anschutz SWFA Wolf MT
86 Carl Duvall (3) Savage Bushnell Wolf MT Got Bonus
86 Kenny Boyert CZ 455 Weaver Tactical Wolf MT
86 Matt Shatto Savage SWFA SK std
85 Megan Stull Fedderson 10/22 SWFA SK
83 Dave Calipare (1) Kidd 10/22 SWFA Wolf MT
83 Chris Kirkpatrick H&R Mod 12 Peep Sights Wolf MT Got Bonus
82 Ted Kernik (3) CZ SWFA CCI SV
82 Ted Kernik (2) Vostok Peep Sights Wolf MT
82 Bob Merillat Anschutz 64 March SK rifle match
81 Glenn Schnegg Winchester 52-D SWFA Wolf MT
78 Butch McCort Remington 40x SWFA CCI SV
73 Karen Marsh CZ Ultra Lux SWFA CCI SV
65 Dennis Kirkpatrick (1) Vostok Peep Sights Wolf MT

Last edited by Topstrap44; 09-19-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:55 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGAndrea View Post
.... My dream scope would be a 5-50x30mm...
Your dream scope and the realities of objective lens diameter and brightness of the image might not be compatible with each other. Maybe you need a maximum 16-power scope and a big expensive spotting scope.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Samuel_Hoggson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have the 20X SWFA, mil-quad version, on an Anschutz sporter. It replaced both a Leup 3-9x EFR and a Leup M8-8x fixed.

Have another Anschutz sporter wearing a 3-9x EFR for red squirrels on the feeder. The other will keep the SWFA, as I cannot imagine better for what I'm doing. The crows behind my house are unhappy naysayers as they've discovered 110 yds is not too far for a .22rf. In fact, I haven't missed yet. They are now giving me almost 200 yds of respect, so will need to move up the cartridge ladder.

BGA, Doubt you need low-power magnifcation for "benchrest competitions to plinking to long-range attempts". And you did mention FFP, a non-issue with a fixed. To echo Topstrap, you need bankable turrets, a large adjustment range (30mm tube or better), and an elevated rail for distance with a .22. I don't have trouble with the optic cone on the 20X unless light is failing. There is no problem seeing impacts on 100 yd targets, ie., no need for a spotting scope. Suspect the 16X version would work as well for me.

Last, they have 42mm objectives, IIRC. Don't think it looks silly on my little SA 164. Maybe that's b/c I like what it does.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Something Leupold.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:49 PM
afret
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
How steady is the shooting pod, make.
Whats under the tarp, Al wondered to himself eagerly.
I can't shoot with a bench and rest since I shoot from my back deck and the railing would be in the way so I can't compare my rest with that but it's reasonably stable but has a small amount of movement. How the rifle is held seems to make a big difference.

Oh, and it's just an old junk Mustang under the cover.