Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:30 PM
benhar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Help picking out sights?

So I'm going back and forth on what to do with my sights. I don't have any specific complaints about the stock sights, other than the brass bead isn't always the easiest to pick up depending on the lighting. The two options I'm considering are:

1) Replacing the front sight with a fiber optic

2) Replacing the whole thing with a Skinner

The fiber option will be cheaper and seems to be the simplest solution, but given the point/purpose of the gun I'm concerned about durability (woods, camping, survival, etc.).

The skinner sights seem to get great reviews, I'm just not sure if its worth the extra $$ to me over just replacing the front.

Any thoughts? I'm trying to keep the whole thing as small/streamlined as possible and don't plan to use a scope or red dot, hence why I haven't considered Tech Sights, Ace in the Hole, etc. I think the Skinner would be a no brainer if I hated the stock setup, but I really don't mind it beyond the front sight visibility.

Last edited by benhar; 07-20-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:39 PM
Wee Hooker
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
10/22 fiber optic sights

I put Williams FO on my 10/22 TD and have to say they are great for my (range/plinking )use. Very Bright. Very easy to pick up in most lights. HUGE improvement over factory. I think they would hold up fine in the woods/hunting too if normal care was given the gun in use.

That said, as I recall the factory front sight was a SOB to get out (with a hammer, punch and heat.)
Old 07-23-2017, 08:52 PM
4Beatriz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wee Hooker do you have pics of your sight set up?e

benhar, i'm trying to avoid using scope and red dot as well. what have you decided?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 AM
benhar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet but leaning Skinner. Still tempted by the Williams though, they sound like a good option.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:09 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Read all the fine print. This one (model 60213) says NOT for TD model.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:26 PM
countglockula
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go with the Skinner! I bought the basic sight and the matching front sight. They both attached easily and are strongly built. Sight-in was easy and I haven't regretted it.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:28 AM
RandomNerd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd go with the Skinner. A good set of aperture sights will put you miles ahead of just replacing the front post.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:30 PM
ElrodCod
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Skinner sights are way, way over priced. They don't do anything that the Williams Guide Receiver Sight won't do. I'd make the case that they do less. Elevation adjustment is limited by the thread pitch. If you go with the Skinner, realize that you're paying a premium for asthetics not functionality.

Last edited by ElrodCod; 08-18-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Nerostarr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I played around quite a bit with different sights on my takedown. I tried the FO front sight, it's nice but the tube is too big if your shooting a good distance. I normally shoot between 50 and 125 yards and the FO just covers up the target. The skinner taller front sight is ideal for longer distances, it works well. On the receiver I went with the Williams WGRS peep, another great product. Or you could just spend the $ and get the tech-sights.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:01 PM
46hank

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Williams Firesight

Williams works for me