Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)

I use the 22 magnum shot shells in a Ruger single six and Marlin Garden Gun (M25G?)
With about 60 % more pellets, 52 grains vs 32 grains, the 22 magnum shot shells are far more effective. A friend has used the 22 magnum shot shells from a rifle to dispatch both a problem rabbit and goose from her garden.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:05 PM
HIghstandardguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I can't believe no one has mentioned this. Firearms 101 question; What's the difference between a shotgun and a rifle and what is the effect of that difference?
Old 03-07-2017, 09:15 PM
gunsmokeer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've never had a CCI blue-capsule shotshell, OR one of the Federal or Remington crimped-end shotshells, even come close to cycling the action of any semi-auto rifle or pistol. I've tried them in my Buck Mark URX, my Ruger 10/22, my Dad's Springfield 87A, and an old High Standard Supermatic from the 1950s.

As others have said, they're very limited range affairs, due to the extreme spread of the tiny pellets, and due to how quickly they lose energy thanks to how light each pellet is. I think they're #12 "dust shot." Good for 10 feet or about 3 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIghstandardguy View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned this. Firearms 101 question; What's the difference between a shotgun and a rifle and what is the effect of that difference?
It's the rifling of the barrel, but nobody had mentioned it because nobody probably cares enough to worry about the effect at 3 yards.

Nolan
Old 03-08-2017, 04:38 PM
buckndee

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have found a fun use for these 22 shot shells. Dragonfly and Carpenter Bee hunting. They are effective out to 5-7 yards out of my Smooth bore Winchester 61 rifle. At 30 ft hits are obvious but tend to cripple and require follow up tracking. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 PM
losrobles
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've done the same with carpenter bees. They're a scourge on my cedar-siding house. And then the woodpeckers come in behind them and rip up the siding looking for the bees. I don't think I'd go for the dragonflies though. When I was growing up we also called them mosquito hawks. They eat mosquitoes and their larvae voraciously. And they don't bore tunnels in my house. And they're dang fascinating to watch.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:25 PM
R1150r
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I used a CCI shotshell in my Camper with a TacSol Axium suppressor to eliminate some pesky birds that just would not leave my dogs' food bowl alone. Range was about 10 feet and the issue was instantly resolved. No, it would not cycle and I didn't expect it to.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:27 AM
OlongJohnson

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Whittaker's has smooth-bore Savage rimfire "rifles" for use with the crimped-end rounds. Without rifling, they don't break up the plastic capsule of the CCI rounds. Federal 716 crimped-end shells are currently available in distribution.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:49 AM
mossberg146b

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have a Mossberg 42TR Targo gun that we took out to the farm last year. The results with shot shells were shocking. Targo was kind of like mini trap with shot shells, smoothbore rifles and 2in dia clay targets. Since the actual targets are too rare to shoot we were using standard clays. At about 10yds the shot would BOUNCE OFF the targets, I could see little marks on them but only 1 or 2 pellets would actually go through.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:07 AM
Boardwalk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
when i was 12 or so my dad bought a box of 22 shotshells to try bird hunting. we live in northern minnesota and hunt ruffed grouse with 12/20 ga shotguns usually. we walked this trail and came up on 5 different birds. I was using a single shot 22 bolt action. the first 4 birds i shot at didnt even flinch when i took the shot. we never shot at paper to see an actual spread, but it must be terrible. I know it wasnt a factor of aiming because I loved to shoot that gun and slayed a ton of popcans wit that gun. my dad backed me up with his shotgun 4 times. the fifth bird i injured him and was able to chase him down on foot to dispatch finally. all shots were within 10 to 15 yards. as close as we could get without jumping the birds. these things might work for something really small like mice but they are not reliable on anything bigger. especially shooting from a pistol the shorter barrel will sacrifice velocity and will open up the spread even more.

tldr; not reliable at all. embrace the challenge of shooting 22lr. also shooting at sitting or stannding small game with a shotgun gets pretty boring. but the taste of grouse sure doesnt!!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:11 PM
too_pointer
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am surprised with all the the replies. I will certainly try some shot
loads, I agree that it has a use, and will try to play with it use.
Thanks all.
too_
Old 04-26-2017, 01:10 PM
cstuard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am surprised that so many people have had success w/ them.4-5 yrs ago we had a small snake in the garage. Wife hates them. I didn't much care but it was in the corner about 3 feet from the door into the house. I got an old bolt action rifle and used CCI shot shells since I had already discovered they won't cycle the Buckmark. I was surprised how many shots it took to kill this 3-4 ft snake. Based on that experience I think that dragonfly hunting is about all they are good for.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:55 PM
Lakeside Machine

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Cool thread!

I never cared much for 22 shot until I ran across a Krico 22cal rifle with a five shot magazine semi auto! The bolt is heavily modified for light weight operations....and best of all the silly thing works! It eats the CCI blue nose as well as the crimped rounds. Since then I ran across an Anschutz Zephyr repeater and a Browning pump repeater both smooth bores.

As far as accuracy goes, a rifled barrel will twist the shot when traveling down the barrel and will result in a spreading effect once it leaves the barrel. You will have a pattern with a hole in the middle and miss whatever you are actually aiming for.

The smooth bore Krico is actually choked at the end. The others have the Ruetledge bores. Both seem to work just as well as the other as far as a pattern.

Anyway, they do have good range over a rifled barrel. Snakes on the pond bank are no match at the first sight of them. These smoothbores work well for convincing that stubborn Angus steer to get back into the pasture from a long distance or from within the greenbriars....
Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 PM
preventec47

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is important for each person considering the use of shot shells to
do their own pattern and penetration test. I have discovered that
when using a pistol with a 4 or 5 inch barrel that the shot pattern spacing
at about six feet is one inch apart. I say this by shooting numerous
cardboard boxes. If using a pistol I shoot at nothing larger than a mouse
and no further than 5 or 6 feet due to the pellet spread. With a rifle
I would only increase the maximum distance to 8 feet.

Now for penetration, I have relied on my old standby used mostly
for BB guns and pellet rifles.... That being new bars of soap.
From about five feet away I would shoot brand new bars of soap
( I use DIAL soap) and I can always dig into the soap to see how
far the pellets have penetrated.... which by the way is about 75 percent
of the way through the soap bar. This I would say would be equal
to the same distance in a mouse or rat or snake etc.

Oh yea, the total pattern size from my Buckmark pistol from six feet
was about 8 inches. SAME FOR THE RIFLE AT ABOUT 8 FEET DISTANCE.

btw I was using the blue plastic tip shot shells. IMO they are not worth
the money unless you factor in the cost to repair bullet holes in your
wife's kitchen's base molding where you almost always shoot the mouse
or rat.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I was a youngster on the farm I used the crimped 22 birdshot to thin out the sparrows so they wouldn't mess on the machinery. There were hundreds of em. Dad bought it by the brick. Went at night in pole sheds, barns, under eaves etc. Used a Ruger single six and a flashlight. Max range was about 20 feet. Got 3 in one shot one time by the hog feeder, waited till they lined up, bout a 15 foot range. Pistol had better range than a Marlin bolt action rifle