Which tool to ream out Bearcat for .22mag? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:08 PM
io333

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which tool to ream out Bearcat for .22mag?

I'm trying to figure out how to ream the cylinder of a Bearcat to throw an occasional .22mag down the bore. Does anyone know which tool I need, and where some instructions might be so that I can do this? I would have Paco do the work for me, but I don't seem to be able to contact him. I emailed him a few days ago with no success. If he never replies I'm going to have to do it myself.

Here is the original thread regarding this: (website is often VERY slow)

http://www.rugerforum.com/ubb/Forum32/HTML/002179.html
Old 01-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Doc TH
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bearcat

I do not think one can ream a cylinder to fire an "occasional" 22 mag round. Once you've changed the chamber dimensions, 22 lr will be unsafe to fire, because the case is likely to rupture - you have effectively changed a 22 lr to 22 mag. That is why the Super Single Six come with two cylinders - 22 lr and 22 mag.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:31 AM
io333

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an extra fitted cylinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2005, 01:15 PM
treelogger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Before you start the work, check into whether this is safely doable.

There have been stories around the web that the small cylinder of the Bearcat doesn't have enough metal left after milling it for the larger .22 WMR hole, and likes to crack or blow up with the larger round. Also, Ruger for a little while used to sell a Bearcat with a .22 WMR cylinder, and they stopped doing that and maybe even recalled the guns that were sold.

I'm not saying that this is guaranteed to be unsafe, or that you should cease and desist. Just warning of the stories that have been floating around, and that you should check into.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:26 PM
smoky
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would not do this. It could be very dangerous. No good gunsmith will attempt this with out fitting a proper barrel anymore, some found out the hard way back in the 70s. A 22 LR bore is .222 bore diameter a 22 Mag is .224 bore diameter. A little know fact with Ruger 22 LR pistols that came with a factory 22 Mag cylinder is the barrel bore is the 22 mag diameter at .224. So it is oversize for 22 LR. The 22 LR lead bullet can expand a little at the base to help accuracy somewhat.

Ruger Factory 22 LR only revolvers with no extra cylinder all used a .222 diameter bore. If you shoot 22 mags out of a undersized .222 diameter bore pressures will go up and velocity will be slow compared to a .224 diameter bore.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
What about the barrel diamiter?????
Old 01-24-2005, 04:39 PM
io333

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, this is what Paco Kelly says about the matter:

Quote:
With todayís cartridges, if you take the measurement of the cartridge caseís base against the rim... and multiply that figure by the pressure generated by the round...you have the back pressure of the round against the bolt. Example with todayís 22 rimfires... running between 10,000 and 14,000 psi.... 22 rimfire cartridge base is .222 multiplied with 14000 psi, gives a back pressure of 3108 lbs. Our 22 rimfire magnums run around 24,000 psi, the case base is .242 times the pressure, gives 5808 lbs. When Ruger stated there was a pressure problem with the little Bearcat 22 rimfire single action, in the 22 rimfire magnum chambering.. I had to laugh. I have been rechambering them since 1970... from standard rimfire to mag rimfire... without a hitch. Even the so called tighter bore of the Bearcat didnít hurt accuracy... Itís all in the rechambering... if itís done right by hand itís fine... done sloppy and groups turn to patterns.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/looking_back.htm
Old 01-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Interesting thread. You learn something new every day around here!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Doc TH
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bearcat

I understand. I thought you meant you wanted to fire an "occasional" 22 mag along with usual 22 lr and were thinking of reaming a single cylinder for both cartridges.
It seems true that the barrel bore diameters of the convertibles are larger than the 22 lr only. Enough people have measured and so reported in these forums. However, I'm not sure that the 0.002" difference would be significant in terms of dangerous pressures. You might want to ask a competent Ruger gunsmith. It seems unlikely that you would remove enough metal from a bearcat cylinder to make it unsafe, as you would be actually removing very little material - but I don't have one in front of me to be reasonably certain.
An interesting question. I suggest asking someone who does Ruger mod's on a regular basis. He (or possibly she these days?) would not be likely to make an unsafe alteration, based on experience.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:19 AM
KraigJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is a New Model Bearcat on the Auction arms site that is one of the rare convertables that left the factory a few years ago that has both cylinders. If you want to give it a try I would think that would be the way to go rather than messing up a nice little gun like a bearcat.

It was $725 when I looked last.

2 cents........
Old 01-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Vibe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma
What about the barrel diamiter?????
Not a show stopper with the soft jacketed 22Mag rounds - though accuracy might suffer a tiny bit.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:34 AM
io333

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not going to do it unless someone who has already done it explains to me *exactly* how to go about making the cut. I'm also not going to do it if my bore is too tight. A bore too tight from Ruger would be odd, to say the least. If my bore is anywhere between .222 and .224 it will not be a problem.

My preference right now is that by some miracle Paco will email me back and I can just send my cylinder to him.