Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:04 AM
JTPinTX
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ain't normal...

But the shoulder is healing up pretty good. 9 weeks out from having 3 tendons re-attached, doc and therapists say I am a couple weeks ahead of schedule on my recovery. Strength and range of motion are good enough to shoulder a light rifle from a sitting position with only minor discomfort, so I decided it was time to start the next phase of therapy.

I started off and ran about 100 rounds of cheap Thunderbolts at 35 yards on 3" steel swingers with the 10/22. Nothing fancy, just letting my arm get used to holding a rifle again. I was standing using the tool box on the pickup as a rest.

Then I got out the little CZ-527 in 223, and ran about 25 rounds through it sitting at 125 yards, just trying to get used to shooting it the way I do calling coyotes. Calling season is coming up soon and I need to get back in shape for that. I did pretty good there once I kind of settled in, was holding into about 1.5"-2" or so off a tall bipod. I was pretty happy with the way the day went. Baby steps for now, I didn't push anything at all.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good deal. humb: Did the doc use screws to reattach the tendons? Besides tearing mine completely loose I ripped one of the bicep tendons in half. 4 months in a sling and wiping with the wrong hand. I almost fell off the turlet seat my first few tries.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:25 PM
JTPinTX

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tore the Superspinatous (maybe??, the one up on top that wraps around to the back), the bicep tendon, and the tendon coming from the pectoral muscle. Complete tears on all three. Doc put 4 stainless anchors into the shoulder bone to tie the tendons down to. He said normally that would take 5 anchors, but he was able to use a really big solid one on the bicep, and used it in two directions. I started passive motion therapy at 2.5 weeks, assisted motion therapy at 6.5 weeks, scheduled to start strength therapy at 11 weeks. He let me start working my way out of the sling some at 6.5 weeks, I am actually at a little over 9 weeks today. I haven't worn the sling at all for a week now. I have a really good Doc, he has a very high success rate.

From everything I have heard, I expected this to be way worse than what it has been so far. I am right handed, and it is my left shoulder. But, I have a dominant left eye and shoot left handed, so the rifle rests on my left shoulder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016, 01:48 PM
WIZZr
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
good to hear you are doing alright. but NORMAL?wizzr
Old 08-29-2016, 04:22 PM
JTPinTX

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I admitted that right up front WIZZr. Just so no one got confused.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Really great news! Sounds like you are going to make complete recovery. That is great news.

Who would really want to be normal (what ever normal is)? Spent all my life doing my best to never be normal at anything. Of course when I was crawling from bed to bath room unable to stand after 2nd and 3rd times I broke my back I would have given just about anything to be normal enough to walk to bathroom! Yeah, normal sounded pretty good then!

Got a new young pain Doc yesterday. Wants to try some different pain meds to get away from opioid based meds. Told him I was not married to any med just have to end up with at least the same level of pain management. I have been in pain every minute of every day since 1973. Been "managing" pain since 2nd event in 1983. After 3rd one in 1993 no one ever thought I would walk again including 3 of the best spinal surgeons in the country that do not even want to try to "fix" me which is fine with me.

This young Doc yesterday was trying to find words for describing what he was seeing in MRI results. I told him it was okay to just call it a total mess. He looked at me and said "Thank you, That is what I was thinking but trying to be professional I did not want to say it like that but this is as bad as I have ever seen with any patient that is still walking"

Yeah NORMAL is way over rated but there are times it sounds like just where you want to be on some things. Good luck with a total recovery. You can be sure your friends here will be interested in hearing how it is coming. You are one of us and that means we care!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 08-30-2016, 12:38 PM
JTPinTX

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My oldest son who is 25 and single has been coming home every week on his days off to help take care of things for me and his mother while I have been down. He has been mowing the yard and doing all kinds of things for me so I don't do anything stupid with my shoulder while it is healing. I talked him into filing on a .22 suppressor just days before the new 41F rules went into effect. He probably didn't understand that since he doesn't have a 22 yet, but he filed on one anyways. I told him eventually he would want one.

What he didn't know was that I had a plan in mind. The plan was a stainless 10/22 takedown at the LGS. I stuck it on layaway for him, and went and picked it up today. I already have a Sightron S-1 Mil Dot scope for it, and a Brimstone trigger to go in it. I will also sent the barrel off and get it threaded. Still need to pick up a set of Dead Nutz one piece rings/bases for it. Eventually when I get well I will also custom Cerakote it for him if he wants it. This is going to be his Thank You present for helping his old man while he was down.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:45 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Not only a good guy but a great Dad as well!! You will always be welcome here that is for sure. Please ask him top start a thread on his rifle or maybe do it for him so we can follow it as well. That looks like a fun project and another SuperStock rifle. What could be wrong with that.

Sounds like you raised a good son. You have reason to be proud of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 08-30-2016, 01:55 PM
rth1959rth

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Great news on your recovery. Normal?

You have a good son and should be proud of him and his upbringing. Enjoy the build!

"Everyone is crazy, some just more so than others." rth1959rth
Old 08-30-2016, 02:06 PM
JTPinTX

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It reminds me of the movie "Young Dr. Frankenstein" with Gene Wilder. He sends Igor to get a brain, he drops the one he is supposed to get but brings a different one instead. Later when the monster goes crazy, Dr Frankenstein asks Igor whose brain it was, he says"Abby."

"Abby who?"

"Abby Normal."