Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Cows!

5K views 93 replies 33 participants last post by  AZZA 
#1 · (Edited)
OK..there are a bunch of cows around here and i was wondering if i can use my .17 to kill a few of them.. should a use the 20 grn. bullet or the 17 grn ? well if i shoot one they cant run for due to fences so tracking them will be no big problem the only thing that i am worried about is the man that owns the cows.. see these are real pretty cows he said something about 4-H... and his little girl.. not really sure whats that all about but what do u think is the best place to shot them?? behind the ear? in the ear? the eyes??

PS. this is a joke..i think its funny that people think its a cannon. i mean if your not sure that the gun is big enough then its most likely not..GET A BIGGER GUN!! :Blasting_ :smashfrea

#3 ·
I started laughing before I even opened the thread. Was pretty obvious where you were going with that topic heading.... :D :D :D

... I did want to mention I picked a squirrel clean off the town hall clock minute hand from 497 laser-measured yards at dusk with a 3" holdover and a scope zero at 100yds. Dang these 17HMR's can shoot. I was using 19 grain Hornydays ammo too.... Well a custom version of the 20 cause I shave off a grain for accuracy out past 400
:D

#4 ·
well why dont you pull the bullet off poor out the powder and poor in super unleaded gasoline.. you should be able to take one out at around 450 yrds!! and oh yeah i tried to shot a few dragons with it but they fly to fast!!!

#11 ·
What are you guys nuts????

Thats way over kill for cape buffalo and such.

I would highly recommend the .10 or even .08 Squirrel using any bullet under 10 grains. After 10 grains, the exit holes get too nasty to deal with and most of the time you will end up losing all of the meat.

I know this because I used my .10 caliber on elephant over in Tanzania last year. Using my Leica, I lasered one at an astonishing 672 yards with a 13.9275mph wind to the east. Aiming into the wind .0081 inches and holdover in at a hair over 2.745 inches, that 2 ton beast was dropped with a 9 grain custom bullet. Insides of the animal were nothing but jelly.......... :rolleyes: :p

Hildy

#13 ·
Cmon guys, where are your skills, me for instace shot a crow at half way across the county durring a wind storm and held not an inch over my 100 yd zero. After i got in my truck and covered the 20 or so miles to him i discovered total splatilization of the crow and a coyote eating him, which i killed to, with my 12 guage slug gun at 150 yds. ****, these modern guns, isn't anything they can't kill. :p :D

#25 ·
Do you suppose a .17 could be necked down to load a pellet of #9 shot?

Maybe a sabot and one pellet would be better. That way you could just shoot it out of the standard 17 barrels. Even better put it in a 22 sabot and a 22WMR cartridge. Imagine the energy that pellet would have at about 5000fps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.