Model 94 Fun Again! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 PM
topowell
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

North Missouri (hot in summer, cold in winter)
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 94 Fun Again!

I've had a Taurus Model 94, blued with 4" barrel, for several years. I've never been very good with it, partly due to lack of practice time and the heavy Double Action trigger pull, but also due to the repeated misfires in DA, from what I assumed was light firing pin strikes. Even Single Action would often misfire. Hitting the primer a second time would sometimes fire the round, but not always. Very disappointing.

Anyway, I recently retired and have actual free time now so I've taken up shooting again. (By the way, I "highly" recommend retirement. It beats working all to heck!) With more free time I started shooting the little Taurus a lot and I'd got to where I could hit pretty good in SA and even DA, but it still had way too many fail-to-fires.

I finally took the hammer spring out and inserted a small washer at the bottom of the spring to try to strengthen the spring. After several sweaty (..and sweary..) minutes, I got it back together and tried it out. Lo and behold, it made a world of difference!

I can now hit pretty good (for me) with both SA and DA, and it very rarely fails to fire with one trigger pull, even with the old tough Winchester Super-Xs that have given me so many fits. I've even gotten used to the heavy DA trigger pull and consider it fun.

I've never had a problem with the cylinder locking up like some of you have, so maybe I'm lucky, but I love my little 94 now that it's finally reliable. If you have trouble with light strikes on the primers, you might give this a try. Sure worked for me.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:55 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink my 1990 4" S/S 94

the sweetest .22 revolver I have ever shot. I picked it up about 4-5 years ago, LGS one owner trade in. 98% condition with fantastic DA an SA pull. it had the original checkered wood grips, that are way too SMALL for my average size hands. a current production set of Taurus rubber grips made a 1000%improvement. I call it my "poor mans" smith 63! it looks identical. great 150.00 investment.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:24 PM
VASCAR2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My model 94 SS had miss fires on a couple of chambers. A gunsmith friend noticed those chambers the hammer was not hitting on the rims. The cylinder had not been machined square. I contacted Taurus and they told me to send it in FedEx next day. That was way to expensive so my dealer sent it through USPS priority mail.

Taurus repaired my model 94 and sent it back to my Dealer with no charges. My model 94 has been great since. I bought a blued 94 for my Son's 21st birthday, it shoots OK but his trigger pull is not quite as good as mine.

I have to agree about retirement, life is not near as stressfull and I get more days I can shoot when the weather is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2016, 08:55 AM
topowell

North Missouri (hot in summer, cold in winter)
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Call me crazy, but I swear putting in that little washer improved the trigger pull with both DA and SA. Can't think of a single reason why, but I seem to be hitting things a lot better now and the trigger pull seems much easier, too.

I did lube it up good when I put it back together, but I've always kept it oiled up. Then again, maybe it's just that I'm shooting it more and am more used to it now? Anyway, it sure is fun!