Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 02:13 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Vote is closed

Time to tally things up. I will count them leaving out the couple people that chose to comment even though they have not been in the SuperStock. I really would like to thank them for taking their time to comment. Also I have not counted yet so at this moment I do not know what side won the rule change or not.

I appreciate the civil manner in which every one conducted themselves. I was not surprised this was a subject that caused some strong feelings. SuperStock rifles have always tended to be pretty little rifles and Suppressors ARE kind of ugly. I think if they were a way to blend them into the barrel there would be no votes against them and I understand that point of view completely. It was my only bad feeling towards them. I will be back shortly after counting votes.

PLEASE if anyone else is watching count them too to make sure I do not make a mistake!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 04-30-2016, 02:47 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Wow

First I am surprised at a couple things.

Only 15 people actually voted. This told me a bunch of old SuperStock people were somewhat conflicted and did not vote. I understand completely. I am too but in the end I had to go with the future not the past. As one other commenter said:"

Quote:
I just can't see why guys on a gun forum would vote not to allow suppressors. Don't turn people away. Keep up with the times or fade away.
This very thought put so well is why I decided 4 years ago that we should allow them. That vote was emotionally charged because of the Barrett 50 cal style brake had in the heads when they voted.

So by my count YES has 9 votes. NO has 6 votes.

I will update the rule

I am somewhat surprised. I predicted YES would lose. I thought the old timers would come out of the woodwork and vote them out. Did not happen

Today a new era starts in SuperStock. Will it be a big deal and huge change? No. It will be a rifle here and one there. In fact for the next couple years if you are going to see a suppressor in SuperStock you are going to have to look for them as they will not take over any time soon.

I do hope that this brings in some new members and some new interest. That alone would be worth it. It also shows SuperStock is NOT an exclusive club as some accused us of being. I can not imagine a more likely emotional change to SuperStock and we voted to let people IN.

Thanks to all that voted either way and thanks to the folks that commented or asked questions. Thanks to all.

Last edited by Vincent; 04-30-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
wow ...pretty short time allotted for that voting there Vincent

I vote no
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 10:17 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
If I were to have voted, I would vote yes. The only reason suppressors are not more popular is because of the 1934 NFA act that made the use of them difficult along with many states outlawing them many years ago. Even in England, their use is very common. Had it not been for legislation over the years, highly regulating them, suppressors would no doubt be very common. My guess is that they will become very common in the US, in ther future, even with all the regulations.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:23 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
There was 48 hrs as we have in EVERY vote. Did you read the first post?

This was the same amount of time as we have used for quite a while.

We started:
Quote:
Should be interesting. Traditional voting period is 48 hours and it is now 12:15 PM Thursday the 28th of April.
We ended at 1:13 today so we really went 1 hour over at 49 hours.

We always try to play by the rules. I am sorry if you feel that was too short but it is what we do.

Last edited by Vincent; 04-30-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:58 AM
ThunderStick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I predict that we are going to be seeing more and more suppressors on sporting rifles as well. I'm finding that now that I have suppressors the rifles that have threaded barrels get shot, taken hunting, and the ones that don't sit in the safe. If I had it to do again, I would gladly give up a rifle or two in order to purchase a supressor as well! My first threaded rifle is a Remington 541T, and there's not a more sporting rifle made, IMO. It's going to be intresting to see if a supressed sporter can indeed shot the games with the non supressed sporter rifles. Intresting indeed!

I didn't bring this up during voting, but it looks like those who have silencers want them in, and those that don't, or can't, wanted them excluded. Perhaps this is telling us that many who don't have them now intend to get them in the future? ?
Old 05-01-2016, 06:39 AM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I'm glad suppressors were voted in. I run my Ss with one all the time and didn't really stop in because it wasn't allowed. People can look at it any way they want but it really doesnt add any advantage in accuracy.
Iron
Old 05-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Que
RFC Sponsor
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Have great respect for both of you. Muzzle would still be >.750. That does not change. Can is not Muzzle, can is not tuner, but we saw all that in discussion.

Tuners are currently legal in SuperStock. One member, 86C is currentlly using an "Limbsaver" type tuner. I checked the rules, nothing says tuners not allowed. The Limbsaver does not attach to the muzzle but slides up and down length of barrel between muzzle and forearm, It is pretty much solid rubber as I understand them

Thank you for your votes and opinions
clearly states in "Sticky: SuperStock Rifles: What are they?" no muzzle mounted tuners or brakes

thats the same thread you updated that now allows cans

Old 05-01-2016, 10:55 AM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I voted NO
But I really don't give a Rat's rear end...LOL
Mn did make it legal to own & hunt with a suppressor last year if ya fill out the
paper work.
I personally don't think it would make a difference in my squirrel woods hunting if I
had one or not on my harvest total ...just that the squirrel meat would be the same $$ as Kobe beef from Japan.
I know...its just a hobby.
Lets get back too shooting

Midwest Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 05-01-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:05 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
clearly states in "Sticky: SuperStock Rifles: What are they?" no muzzle mounted tuners or brakes

thats the same thread you updated that now allows cans
That is updated BECAUSE of this vote. That thread IS the rules we build by. That is what we do with any vote that changes things. Suppressors won the vote. You HAVE to change the rules to reflect that right? 4 years ago when brakes and suppressors LOST the vote I had to put that in then, Now it gets changed because of this vote.

ALL the things in that stickie were voted rules! It says so in the same stickie.

When I have been on the losing side of a vote (several times, including the last vote in SuperSport) I gracefully accepted the decision. Bickering about it later only hurts us. This is how we have always made our rules and the old timers ought to know that the best

Old 05-01-2016, 02:30 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
I predict that we are going to be seeing more and more suppressors on sporting rifles as well. I'm finding that now that I have suppressors the rifles that have threaded barrels get shot, taken hunting, and the ones that don't sit in the safe. If I had it to do again, I would gladly give up a rifle or two in order to purchase a supressor as well! My first threaded rifle is a Remington 541T, and there's not a more sporting rifle made, IMO. It's going to be intresting to see if a supressed sporter can indeed shot the games with the non supressed sporter rifles. Intresting indeed!

I didn't bring this up during voting, but it looks like those who have silencers want them in, and those that don't, or can't, wanted them excluded. Perhaps this is telling us that many who don't have them now intend to get them in the future? ?
It is about more than that. SuperStock has been stagnant. We were the forum here that did a lot of innovation on the building of these rifles. At some point it seems to me the original group decided they were happy with the status quo and voted down any change after that. I can understand that on a personal level. I am pretty happy with my rifles as is. That is NOT what this forum was supposed be about though. We were always the guys trying everything we could to make things better and it seems that many of us have forgotten that. Why should ANY of us care why a gut wants a suppressor. Because we think it is ugly? So we keep out new SuperStock members? No one is saying you HAVE to have a can!! The vote only says you CAN have a suppressor. You like your rifle as is? FINE but lets not stand in the way of others that want to move SuperStock forward with the benefit of new members with new ideas

This is one reason I respect member 86C. He may be doing some odd things but at least he is trying new stuff all the time like we used to! He laughs at me about the "Spirit of SuperStock" but whether he knows it or not right now he is the member that represents that spirit maybe better than most!!

No where, no place, no time did we ever say in the early days of SuperStock we would innovate until 2012 and then quit. If you had said that to our original members you would be booed out of the place!! But in many ways that is what has happened.

Anyway the vote is over. Suppressors won a place in SuperStock in a clean vote run by the rules we have used for years.

To those of you that have rifles that now fit SuperStock I hope you will jump in.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Que
RFC Sponsor
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (101)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
That is updated BECAUSE of this vote. That thread IS the rules we build by. That is what we do with any vote that changes things. Suppressors won the vote. You HAVE to change the rules to reflect that right? 4 years ago when brakes and suppressors LOST the vote I had to put that in then, Now it gets changed because of this vote.

ALL the things in that stickie were voted rules! It says so in the same stickie.

When I have been on the losing side of a vote (several times, including the last vote in SuperSport) I gracefully accepted the decision. Bickering about it later only hurts us. This is how we have always made our rules and the old timers ought to know that the best
once again let me state...... the rules state no tuners yet you stated and I quoted such that tuners were allowed. I didn't bring this up due to not liking the outcome of the vote.
now to throw out there this about how the rules are made and the old timers ought to know that........ yeah Vincent I do and I'm not talking about the vote, just the tuners.........?

Old 05-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest swiss View Post
I voted NO
But I really don't give a Rat's rear end...LOL
Mn did make it legal to own & hunt with a suppressor last year if ya fill out the
paper work.
I personally don't think it would make a difference in my squirrel woods hunting if I
had one or not on my harvest total ...just that the squirrel meat would be the same $$ as Kobe beef from Japan.
I know...its just a hobby.
Lets get back too shooting

Midwest Swiss
Sounds like a good idea to me. Vote is over so I will close this thread. If you feel there needs to be more said on the subject the discussion thread is still open and we can discuss all night long.

Closed Thread