'72 Medalist - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:24 PM
tayninh69
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
'72 Medalist

I'd posted on the S&W forum about this pistol and someone recommended this website for information and/or questions. This is sorta my intro, I suppose.

Recently purchased a '72 Medalist with case and accessories, except the two keys and owners manual. Pistol is in excellent condition and looks to have been fired sparingly when looking at the breech and bolt face. Anything special I should be aware of with this gun? Downloaded a manual for another Browning pistol that explained the 'dry fire' function. I do plan to shoot the gun as soon as I get the chance to go to the range. Now I'll try to download a photo...Thanks.
Ed

Old 03-28-2016, 11:13 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Welcome to the forum.

That is a very nice pistol that you have. I would get a white BuckMark buffer and trim it down and put it in front of the recoil lug. It keeps the pistol from having metal to metal contact when recoiling. Is it necessary? NO, but I've been running them for years and you can feel the difference in the recoil.
Chim came up with the idea years ago when we were trying to figure out what BuckMark parts can be used in the Belgium 22 pistols since parts are getting hard to come by.

Good luck with your new pistol, and welcome to RFC.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:30 AM
tayninh69

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the welcome.
Brownells differentiates between the early and late buffers with the latter being out of stock.....is this one from Midway the correct part? I can't tell the actually color by the picture.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/478...ck-mark-pistol

I plan on shooting CCI SV as used in my M41 but is the use of higher velocity 22 considered a bad practice in these pistols? Never know what you can find these days. I've read somewhere that higher velocity ammo can cause frame cracks in some older High Standards. I probably read that on the internet so true or not, I don't know. :roll eyes

I've owned quite a few firearms in my time but this is my first Browning (or FN).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 09:29 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I can't remember if they are the early or late buffer, but it is the one without a bump on it. It is flat (they were white) and all you have to do is trim down both sides. I also put a radius on the bottom rear of the buffer to match the radius in the recoil lug. They work great. Some folks don't like the idea, but I've shot my Challenger with the buffers for many thousands of rounds. You can really tell the difference when shooting the pistol. It shortens the stroke of the slide by the thickness of the buffer (which isn't much) but the slide catch still works.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:36 AM
aprilian
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
You can also modify the ones with the bump by taking an exacto knife to it and cutting off the bump, then shaping as M2HB described. That is what I did with the buffer I had on hand and it works fine.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:26 PM
tayninh69

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good deal...thanks for the photo. I have some familiarity with shock buffers in 1911s. I'll get one from Midway next time I order something and start whittling.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:34 AM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Very nice! The Medalist is a great gun. And welcome to RFC!

≡✪≡
Old 04-01-2016, 02:13 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One of the great features of the medalist is you don't have to worry about using SV only. It will function like the "king of the great guns of yesterday" it is with anything you care to feed it. I do not use hypervelocity as I see know reason for that obviously. But as far as just using any of the quality brands of ammunition, no problem. i probably use more Fed Am and ammo with a velocity up to 1240 fps.

You will love that pistol and wonder why you didn't get one years ago. Mine is a 1963 model. It was made the year I graduated from college. I love it.

VH
Old 04-03-2016, 12:50 PM
tayninh69

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good to know as most of what I've found available lately is Fed Match. I'll enjoy the pistol.....brings a smile just looking at it.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:07 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayninh69 View Post
Good to know as most of what I've found available lately is Fed Match. I'll enjoy the pistol.....brings a smile just looking at it.
As it should since they are the best looking regular production pistol ever made.

Of course that is my opinion.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:49 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
As it should since they are the best looking regular production pistol ever made.

Of course that is my opinion.
One that is shared by quite a few others.

≡✪≡
Old 04-03-2016, 10:48 PM
tayninh69

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
Thanks for the welcome above. I thought the same when I saw this one in a small LGS on consignment. I'd never seen, nor heard of the model before, but the gold trigger told me it was a Browning. One look, and the gun lust started rising......I was done.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:09 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yeah, I know the feeling. I found mine in a pawn shop, but it did not have all the accoutrements. It was mine in any event.

M2HB! Thanks for the mention of the buffer. I never thought of using one in my Medalist. I had one to spare so I reduced it down and mounted it in my Medalist. I took it to the range today and it took a couple rounds to settle in, but then
WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! The gun felt like a different gun! It was just so much smoother in quick fire. I shoot pins every other week and practice shooting at a spacing of 2" bulls at 10 yards on a wide piece of cardboard (24" or so). Definitely not bowling pins, but a similar setup. The pistol just was so much smoother. I may fall on my face tomorrow evening, but it sure did feel nice today.

VH
Old 04-07-2016, 01:29 PM
YF12A

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
In my most humble opinion, agreed! To me, it is the Ducati of 22's, worth looking at just because it is soo beautiful. Careful with that screwdriver tool, not the strongest one, I watched someone else bend theirs. I feel my Smith 41 is more user friendly, especially with the desperately needed muzzle break!, and my H/Standards are interesting looking, especially the Supermatic Trophy with the 7" fluted barrel, but the Browning gets the looks. As someone else also said, I've run everything through it before I was learned. Now, just S/V ammo and I am going to try the buffer mod as well, thanks. Also, welcome!

Last edited by YF12A; 04-07-2016 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-07-2016, 06:54 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
very nice ,