Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:25 PM
rem541s

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Taurus 94 Bright Stainless or Bright Nickel

Picked up a Taurus 94 at the Tulsa gun show this weekend, can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between a bright stainless gun and a bright nickel gun. Inside of gun frame says 94. Paid 200 dollars no box or papers. Thank You Tom
Old 11-19-2015, 10:16 PM
VASCAR2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've never seen a bright nickel Taurus model 94, I wonder if someone put a high polish on the Stainless Steel. If the 94 is nickel you might be able to see places that metal is not covered with nickel under the grip.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:28 PM
M14man
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a stainless, not shiny bright, but average.
It has a "JD" serial prefix.
I wonder if they numbered differently between blue and stainless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-900F.JPG (55.1 KB, 185 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2015, 08:43 AM
confused

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice looking pistola.I have several of them and have always referred to them as bright stainless.I don't think Taurus ever made a nickel finish.
I don't think they are numbered different from blue to stainless.You can enter the serial number here and it will tell you what year it was made if it is in the system. http://www.taurususa.com/find-model.cfm
Old 11-22-2015, 09:31 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs up taurus 94

blue OR stainless. my 94 is a 1990 vintage, I bought it from the original owner who bought it new. it has what I would call a SATIN stainless steel finish. looks great but could be brought up to a real shine with some elbow grease and mothers mag wheel polish. this stuff is fantastic. yours looks outstanding, if I have some extra elbow grease this winter I may whip a brighter shine on it!! I used a B/C stainless gun lead remover cloth on it and that gave it an overall slight polish. I love this little revolver, I cant afford the S&W version. I feel this is a decent substitute, and is very accurate with a NICE DA/SA trigger pull. when I bought the gun at my LGS for $150. it had a problem and LGS sent it off to Taurus for repairs. 2 weeks later it came back and I swear Taurus did a trigger job on it! very smooth light trigger pull, even in DA!!! I added a little ORANGE paint to the silver front sight so my old eyes could pick it up better. I only own 2 .22 revolvers, and the other is a big full size EAA bounty hunter SAA. this little Taurus is my go to revolver, 9 shots of fun. these were made back when Taurus made some exceptional guns, I bought a current .22 magnum 2.5" 942 a couple of years ago, piece of junk, terrible TP, traded it off on a nylon 77 rifle and I know I got the best part of the deal!
Old 11-22-2015, 09:37 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Question what year was your made??

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14man View Post
I have a stainless, not shiny bright, but average.
It has a "JD" serial prefix.
I wonder if they numbered differently between blue and stainless.
mine is 1990, less shine and a different ramp solid stainless front sight. I cant tell from the pic, but it looks like yours has a separate blade on the front sight. I replaced the original small wood grips with the larger current production rubber grips, what a vast improvement! my hands are not giant but with the wood grips I didn't have anything to hold on to!!
Old 11-22-2015, 09:47 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
good buy at 200.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem541s View Post
Picked up a Taurus 94 at the Tulsa gun show this weekend, can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between a bright stainless gun and a bright nickel gun. Inside of gun frame says 94. Paid 200 dollars no box or papers. Thank You Tom
I lucked up a few years ago at my LGS, papers but no box, 95%+ condt, $150.00.i stood there and watched an older guy sell it to the LGS, and as soon as he left I bought it. the owner told me it was the fastest turn around sale they had ever made!! I searched e-bay and finally found a vintage correct factory box and papers. perfect match except for a different serial # on the box. you will love this revolver, enjoy shooting it. remember, you HAVE a 100% lifetime factory warranty if anything ever happens. the warranty FOLLOWS THE GUN, NOT the owner of the gun.no "proof of purchase", you own the gun so it is under warranty.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:55 AM
M14man
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Confused, thanks for the link. Mine was bought new in June 1990 with my FFL. I still have the box and my records indicate I bought it from Sports South for $182. Taurus indicated on their web this gun was a 94SS4 so they 'knew' this was a stainless 4" gun. They either made models in serial number blocks or listed each gun back in pre computer days.
JonD I buggered up the sight somewhat, I lowered it with a file, thinned it, and painted it black.
If it was orange, I did not like it. I did a poor job on the sight and it looks it.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:37 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking orange paint on front sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14man View Post
Confused, thanks for the link. Mine was bought new in June 1990 with my FFL. I still have the box and my records indicate I bought it from Sports South for $182. Taurus indicated on their web this gun was a 94SS4 so they 'knew' this was a stainless 4" gun. They either made models in serial number blocks or listed each gun back in pre computer days.
JonD I buggered up the sight somewhat, I lowered it with a file, thinned it, and painted it black.
If it was orange, I did not like it. I did a poor job on the sight and it looks it.
I ADDED the orange paint to my silver front ramp so I could see it better. yup, the model designation on my box also is 94SS4.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:59 AM
CZU

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
This is a 3" M94 made in '94. It's is polished stainless and I think it probably came from the factory that way. Bough it used at Cabelas but it appeared new never fired in the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151015_163725040.jpg (578.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZU View Post
This is a 3" M94 made in '94. It's is polished stainless and I think it probably came from the factory that way. Bough it used at Cabelas but it appeared new never fired in the box.
I have never seen a 3". that IS GOOD LOOKING. it is a brighter polish than my 1990 4". great find.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:58 AM
confused

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gorgeous 3"!Extremely hard to find.I am envious!
Old 12-13-2015, 10:05 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking the early model 94s

were in my opinion, the poor mans S&W. I couldn't afford a 400. used smith kit gun!! Taurus copied the smith perfect, when I show someone mine they say "S&W", cool.