Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:49 AM
ThorsLeather
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Survival Zombie Squirrel Silent Killer

Well, after lurking around here a bit, I jumped in and decided it was time to do something with my 10/22 Takedown and thought I would use this as my first post. My goal was to make a survival rifle for... well... just about any occasion. This is what I came up with.

I started with a Davidson's Exclusive 10/22 Take Down #11125. I liked the stainless and the fact that the barrel was already threaded for my Gemtech Outback II.

First thing I did was improve some of the internals. I added:
Kidd Bolt Handle/Guide Rod and Spring Set
Kidd Trigger Job Kit
Kidd Bolt Buffer
Kidd Bolt Assembly
Kidd Auto Bolt Release
Kidd Magazine Release
Kidd Receiver Pins
Kidd Magazine Latch Plunger

Now that I had it running well with subsonic ammo, I put the TacStar Adaptive Tactical RM-4 Stock on it.

I wanted both a scope and irons, and this took some work as I not just wanted iron sights, I wanted peep sights... tritium peep sights. You never know when that survival situation might be in low light.
I decided to go with Tech Sights TSR100 sights as the rear sight is interchangeable with regular AR type sights, and tritium rear could be added.

Since the Tech Sights took up the last two holes on the receiver, I had to mill a TacFire Picatinny See Through Scope Mount (I use the word "mill" rather loosely as I did it with a Dremel) in order to have it fit with the Teck Sight. I then drilled and tapped two more holes in the TacFire mount to make sure it was secure to the receiver.

Once the Tech Sights were on, I changed out the front post and rear aperture with Meprolight Tru Dot night sights.

The front post was a bit tricky as I had to mill a grove in the Meprolight as the pin was located on the opposite side of most AR style front posts.

With night sights firmly in place, the next problem was the scope. I decided to go with a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire with BDC 3-9X40. Getting this to fit nicely with the Tech Sights took the help of Nikon P-Series Mounts. As you can see, there isn't much rail, and scope has to clear the rear tech sight. It worked out wonderfully and the irons can be used with the scope mounted.

Now, just in case I have to take the scope off, or remove the receiver from the stock for cleaning, I tucked an wrench in the back of the stock. Thank goodness it fits both the take down bolt and the scope. It's hard to see but you can see it at the far end of the stock by the spare magazines.

Still not done. The TacStar pistol grip has a rubber plug, and holds 50 rounds of ammo quite nicely. You know... just in case of zombies or rabid squirrels.

Still not enough. The tube on the TacStar is hollow and open on the end. Perfect place to store some other stuff but how to keep it from falling out? 1/2 inch rubber tips, cut short, sanded down a tad, and two holes drilled in it to put some nylon cord.

You get your finger in there and can start to pull the cord out...

That gives you a nice loop in which to get that tight fitting plug out. The inside of the cord is wrapped around a .22 bore snake... just in case one actually wanted to clean the bore. There is also another 30 rounds of ammo tucked in behind the bore snake. In all, with the two spare magazines, there rifle holds an extra 100 rounds of emergency ammo.

So, there is my ultimate survival zombie squirrel killer, or, how to turn your $400 plinker into a $1600 zombie squirrel silent plinker.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Flashman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Properly planned and well executed, only thing I miss somewhat are a sling.

The stock looks swell, I am hoping for a similar open topped, long forearm aluminium chassis, accepting AR parts.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
That is really nice. I am not a big tactical guy but your setup is sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2015, 03:11 PM
xdm9mm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
very nice set up and well thought out. Is the P series mount see thru then? If it is, this might be the answer to my problem....
Old 10-29-2015, 04:12 PM
mengin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Awesome setup! Did the barrel already come threaded? Is that a exclusive feature of the Davidson?

You should post this in the takedown section.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I like it. Does the stock have an adjustable comb height to account for the 2 heights (irons & scope).
Old 10-29-2015, 08:47 PM
10ring1

TPC Rating: 
97% (58)
That is a sweet set up!!! Looks like you can hold about 100 rds on board.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:34 PM
ThorsLeather
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post

The stock looks swell, I am hoping for a similar open topped, long forearm aluminium chassis, accepting AR parts.
I have not had a chance to make the sling yet. I'm a leather smith and that's what I do for a living. Needed the rifle done so I could figure out what would look best. Give me a week and I'll post a picture of my leather work for a sling.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:35 PM
ThorsLeather
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdm9mm View Post
very nice set up and well thought out. Is the P series mount see thru then? If it is, this might be the answer to my problem....
Yes, the P-Series mounts are see through. It works well on this setup. I was out today sighting in the scope, and it's easy to use the irons with the scope attached. Much higher or lower on the irons though, and it wouldn't work. It was luck.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:38 PM
ThorsLeather
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengin View Post
Awesome setup! Did the barrel already come threaded? Is that a exclusive feature of the Davidson?

You should post this in the takedown section.
Yes, this particular model from Davidson's had the threaded barrel and a cheesy flash suppressor. It's a 16.25 inch barrel. The fiber optic sights were also included along with a 25 round magazine. Obviously, the fiber optic sights... on the front, went away.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:39 PM
ThorsLeather
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_1LE View Post
I like it. Does the stock have an adjustable comb height to account for the 2 heights (irons & scope).
Unfortunately it does not. It's a bit of a "chin weld" for me. That's my next project for it. It will have to be quick detach, and probably made of leather.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:15 AM
parshooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like your innovative custom touches - well done!
Old 10-30-2015, 12:42 PM
bman940

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice build. I am not sure how you can call the P-Series AR Mount's see thru, they are solid and not raised. When you say milled with your dremel, I take it that you made them see thru?Cheek weld is so important when shooting and using mount's to high can make it even more difficult.
I'm glad you like that stock, I am considering it for my next 10/22 build.

Here's a decent pic of Nikon's P-Series Mount which is why I question the see thru ability, just not a lot of extra room.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:23 PM
ThorsLeather
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
Very nice build. I am not sure how you can call the P-Series AR Mount's see thru, they are solid and not raised. When you say milled with your dremel, I take it that you made them see thru?Cheek weld is so important when shooting and using mount's to high can make it even more difficult.
I'm glad you like that stock, I am considering it for my next 10/22 build.

Here's a decent pic of Nikon's P-Series Mount which is why I question the see thru ability, just not a lot of extra room.

I didn't have to remove any material from the P-Series mounts. They worked as is and the current irons can easily be used with the scope attached. They may not have been designed to do this, but in this particular set up, they work nicely.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:34 AM
ThorsLeather
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post

Well, I finished making the sling. I'll try to get better pictures later. The sling is to hold the rifle in front like a 3 point sling would. There are two removable pouches on the sling that hold 100 rounds each i.e. two small 50 round boxes each.
The ammo pouches get positioned under the left arm with the rifle carried on the front right shoulder. I had to put some of my Celtic decoration on the sling and pouches.

Two ravens facing each other.

Ammo carrier for 50 rounds of CCI in the plastic box.

The two removable pouches that hold two boxes of ammo each.