Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:49 PM
MTGlass
US Army Veteran Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rossi 62SA rifling

...or not.

While I have my son's 62SA torn down trying to get decent sights on it I decided to lap the crown with one of my Brownell's brass laps and some Clover lapping compound.

When done, I noticed some crud built up inside the crown. I've given it a couple days soaking in a couple applications of Wipe-Out bore foam. Now the crud is gone, but what's really interesting is where the rifling ends; about 2mm or 1/16" from the end of the bore.

Following the edge of the lands with a sharp dental pick, the lands just end short of the muzzle. I would expect to see something like this in the throat, but not at the muzzle!

Anybody else encountered this condition? Should I worry about it; have the bore cut back & properly crowned? If I can get the sights figured out, I'll probably just shoot it to see how it does then decide whether or not to take a tool to it.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:38 PM
patrickkomar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to patrickkomar Send a message via Yahoo to patrickkomar
I'd say shoot it and see what happens! Your not out much but some ammo to find out if is shoots or not, and having the barrel docked and re-crowned shouldn't set you back to much if it needs it. May I ask what your doing for sights?
Old 01-18-2016, 11:53 AM
Twist
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTGlass View Post
...or not.

While I have my son's 62SA torn down trying to get decent sights on it I decided to lap the crown with one of my Brownell's brass laps and some Clover lapping compound.

When done, I noticed some crud built up inside the crown. I've given it a couple days soaking in a couple applications of Wipe-Out bore foam. Now the crud is gone, but what's really interesting is where the rifling ends; about 2mm or 1/16" from the end of the bore.

Following the edge of the lands with a sharp dental pick, the lands just end short of the muzzle. I would expect to see something like this in the throat, but not at the muzzle!

Anybody else encountered this condition? Should I worry about it; have the bore cut back & properly crowned? If I can get the sights figured out, I'll probably just shoot it to see how it does then decide whether or not to take a tool to it.

I've got two of these 62SA's, one octagon and and one round. The octagon barrel one has the 2mm rifling setback while the round barrel does not. I've never noticed before, now I need to take them both to the range and see which one shoots..