Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:14 PM
FairWinds
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My current setup.

The front rest bag is currently a wide base one for the CZ Varmint I have been shooting. I'm going to put a narrower front bag back on for shooting the 10/22.

I also have a soft bag set that I plan to try and see if it makes any difference.

Can't have too many options !

John
Old 03-20-2015, 02:41 AM
Dave22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86c View Post
Nice stuff guys.

Thunderstick, I am definitely not a master trigger puller.

Not the worst either.

Bobcatr,

I hear you about the softer bag. I like rice over sand for homemade bags for the same reason.

What kind brand rest is that in the picture.

Vincent,

I have been looking for information regarding the Cowan rest/bag.

Got any links to those products?

http://[email protected]

In addition to the rest, Cowan also sells heavy feet and a speed screw that he makes himself. The rest is a product of the training program. They do an unbelievable packing job on the rest. Joe said they take great pride in their packing jobs when I commented on it.

$240+$32 shipping for the rest. $75 for three F-Class feet + $12 shipping. $75 for one speed screw. Speed Screw, feet and shipping total of $162 to California from PA. The speed screw and the feet are shipped separately from the rest since the rest is made by the training program and Joe makes the speed screw and feet himself.

Last edited by Dave22; 03-20-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:09 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks for the info on the Cowan guys.

I think I am going to roll with the flow and get something readily for sale. Probably not as good but that is how it goes sometimes.

I still hope people put as many pictures of their bench rest super-stockers as possible.

The bench rest section has a thread like this and imo we need one here just for the auto-loading sporters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22 View Post
http://[email protected]

In addition to the rest, Cowan also sells heavy feet and a speed screw that he makes himself. The rest is a product of the training program. They do an unbelievable packing job on the rest. Joe said they take great pride in their packing jobs when I commented on it.

$240+$32 shipping for the rest. $75 for three F-Class feet + $12 shipping. $75 for one speed screw. Speed Screw, feet and shipping total of $162 to California from PA. The speed screw and the feet are shipped separately from the rest since the rest is made by the training program and Joe makes the speed screw and feet himself.
Thanks for the link, Dave.

However, I already received my new front rest and heavy rear bag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 09:01 PM
bobbylee666
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks for the link, Dave.

However, I already received my new front rest and heavy rear bag.
No pic?
Old 03-22-2015, 04:09 PM
crbrookie
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can also contact Joe at
[email protected]
Bob
Old 04-02-2015, 05:57 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylee666 View Post
No pic?
Sorry I missed this.

Not yet.

Gotta get it all situated first.

Harder to do now as my 'shooting season' is mostly done till fall. I do make occasional trips to the range between early spring and late fall.

I did test mine out and so far I need to work on the whole big picture including how I hold/shoot the gun. Like starting over.

Mine is this one. Someone in BR section says the sale may end soon. I don't know.

http://www.bullets.com/products/Tria...st-Iron/BE1153

And I modified the windage knob exactly like this one. Followed these guys advice. Works great.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...8&postcount=25

Last edited by 86c; 04-02-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:42 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I simply shoot front and rear bags. I think I got them either at WalMart or at Midway. They are filled with black plastic pellets...

I raise the front bag up on a wooden flower pot... That's what the little wooden box looking thing is... It's a flower pot that you hang in a tree... You can get them in home stores down in Florida where people grow orchids in their trees...

Click the thumb to see fullsize

Honestly, something like this is a good place to start for most folks.. It fits into a duffel range bag for easy transport... Cost is under $20.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2015, 06:35 PM
cahillxd

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:

This is what I have done my best with in the field.

When at a range I use their metal stand for holding a canvas shot bag of sand except I substitute a blue jean rice bad for their sand bag, my anti-slip matte, and the rear bag shown above.

I have never had or even used an adjustable front rest and often wondered if that is or isn't the second weakest link in my chain. Me being the first weakest of course.

I know there is a lot of stuff on bench rest equipment in other sections but it is usually centered around bench rest specific rifles and shooters.

Me being far removed from them and much more at home with a sporter and some bags I am just curious what you guys have and swear by.
I love this rest. Simple and loos easy to make. What are the jeans filled with?

Right now, I use my backpack and a sand bag I made with sand from the daughters sand box inside a doubled set of zip lock bags
Old 04-05-2015, 02:02 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahillxd View Post
I love this rest. Simple and loos easy to make. What are the jeans filled with?

Right now, I use my backpack and a sand bag I made with sand from the daughters sand box inside a doubled set of zip lock bags
Rice filled blue jean legs.

'sub-table' front rest is a shop jig/accessory doing double duty. Basically a light weight wood block of the right height for me. It was made to be strong and stable with large foot print. I use a foam-rubber mesh-matte to keep it from sliding.

So far I don't get as good of results with the fancy new jack stand and heavy bags I bought. In the long run that set up shown may prove to be better. If so I will sell the fancy rig.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:38 PM
ThunderStick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hint for y'all.

Go down to the pet shop and buy parakeet bedding! It's crushed walnut hulls, about 1/3rd the weight of sand and just as stable. I here you can use it to clean brass in a vibrating cleaner as well.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:29 AM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
Hint for y'all.

Go down to the pet shop and buy parakeet bedding! It's crushed walnut hulls, about 1/3rd the weight of sand and just as stable. I here you can use it to clean brass in a vibrating cleaner as well.
I'll keep that in mind. Probably get some one of these days. I know it works well as a mild abrasive for 'blasting' from having painted AL stripped with it (by others).

So far I have used lead shot, regular sand, play sand, heavy sand, plastic beads, and rice. They all have their pros and cons but from the ones I have used if I had to pick one and only one from now to doomsday it would be rice.

Those rice-filled blue jean bags have been used to death for a wide variety of things. I would say less than 10% of their use is for shooting. They make fabulous kneeling pads (as long as the floor/ground is dry and relatively clean). Adjustable supports. Great for laying delicate stuff on, like guns and tools, make great hold down helpers and conforming supports on the bench for irregular shaped anything one is working on. Ridiculously cheap and while heavy enough most of the time they are not exceedingly heavy like sand or shot. They are heavier, denser, easy to 'fluff', pack and settle much firmer and more stable than the round plastic balls that come in the suede bags shown in my picture.

The rear bag in my picture is the larger of a three bag set with a shorter bag with ears and square support pillow. It has been extremely useful set. Got the set for $35 at the LGS superstore a good while back. They are great for the mantle and such. NOT the best shooting bags by any means. Don't make a good front rest at all. Adequate for the rear. Very handy none the less.

Last edited by 86c; 04-06-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I used Rice/Jeans leg bags for many years as a all around shooting bag or other use. I bought a 25 lb bag of "Hard Rice" (not like "minute rice" but the real deal. I not only used it in bags but used it as a final clean up in my old "Thumbler Tumbler" to do a final clean on brass cases.

I would tumble with crushed walnut impregnated with red jeweler's rouge to shine the cases up but this left a residue. I would then tumble them with the Rice and a good squirt of lighter fluid like used in Zippo Lighters. Result was nice clean brass.

Only problem with rice is if you live in a moist climate or you get them moist they will mold and then you have a mess.

Having worked in the injection molding industry for a very long time I would get the little beads of polymer resin used to melt and inject into mold to make many products. About like rice for bag use but you could get them soaking wet and they would not mold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 04-06-2015, 01:23 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good point about moisture. As one can see from the terrain in the photo its dry here so it works out well for me.

That said, we know a plastic bag will tear. Thus the denim. One can always put the denim bag inside a plastic bag to keep them dry. I don't think that having them in a plastic bag while using for shooting would work out too well though. Still, kept dry the rest of the time might help.

Another thing I just thought of that might help is to toss in a desiccant bag or three when you sew up the denim?

Plus, they are expendable.

My least favorite is the ROUND plastic balls. I think it is more the size/shape/density combination than being plastic. I think if they were rice grain shaped and rough edges and/or little splines like costume jewelry beads or whatever they would pack and settle better with less shifting and leaning. Speculation on my part but I would wager on it. Of course, I'd win since I get to be the judge regarding better, best. I may place a wager now and then but I don't gamble. Gambling is when the odds of winning are 50% or less.

Last edited by 86c; 04-06-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Good point about moisture. As one can see from the terrain in the photo its dry here so it works out well for me.

That said, we know a plastic bag will tear. Thus the denim. One can always put the denim bag inside a plastic bag to keep them dry. I don't think that having them in a plastic bag while using for shooting would work out too well though. Still, kept dry the rest of the time might help.

Another thing I just thought of that might help is to toss in a desiccant bag or three when you sew up the denim?

Plus, they are expendable.

My least favorite is the ROUND plastic balls. I think it is more the size/shape/density combination than being plastic. I think if they were rice grain shaped and rough edges and/or little splines like costume jewelry beads or whatever they would pack and settle better with less shifting and leaning. Speculation on my part but I would wager on it. Of course, I'd win since I get to be the judge regarding better, best. I may place a wager now and then but I don't gamble. Gambling is when the odds of winning are 50% or less.
Never tried it but the plastic bag of rice COULD go into the jeans . bag.

As for plastic I have used the oblong pellets (polyethylene) the kernal shaped (polystyrene or ABS) pellets and even "Regrind" that is the plastic part ground up in a grinder for reuse. Most products restrict regrind to 10-15% so as to not degrade the specs of the plastic. Too much regrind in a plastic part can do all kinds of bad things and this varies on whether it is Polyethylene, Polypropylene, Polystyrene, ABS or even Polycarbonate (Lexan) with the the allowable amount of regrind pretty much going in that order of allowable use. Polyethylene (like what the plastic gas cans are made of) is the softest and usually better for regrind made shooting bags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 04-06-2015, 04:21 PM
86c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
Never tried it but the plastic bag of rice COULD go into the jeans . bag.

As for plastic I have used the oblong pellets (polyethylene) the kernal shaped (polystyrene or ABS) pellets and even "Regrind" that is the plastic part ground up in a grinder for reuse. Most products restrict regrind to 10-15% so as to not degrade the specs of the plastic. Too much regrind in a plastic part can do all kinds of bad things and this varies on whether it is Polyethylene, Polypropylene, Polystyrene, ABS or even Polycarbonate (Lexan) with the the allowable amount of regrind pretty much going in that order of allowable use. Polyethylene (like what the plastic gas cans are made of) is the softest and usually better for regrind made shooting bags.

Good point about reversing the order. Of course one would want to loose fill the plastic bag and extract remove excess air first, not to be confused with putting a cover on a plastic bag of rise as it comes from the shelf. Although the latter would work, packed tight is not desirable imo. I am saying that for those who haven't done it but plan to.

As far as plastic fill. W/o regard of the nuances of injection molding, what type of fill shape(s) and density(s) did you prefer and in what type of bag(s) were you using it.

Round plastic is not all bad but I prefer rice.

Since you have apparently done that and more I am interested in what your first choice is for blue jean legs and first choice for soft shooting bags with ears and of course the firm shooting bags with ears too since I will have a protektor sooner or later.

When I got me BE rest and bags I got 30lbs of heavy sand because it was $1lb delivered when ordered with the other stuff. Used 15lbs to fill the BE front/rear bags.

Last edited by 86c; 04-06-2015 at 04:23 PM.