Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:52 PM
valor1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nordic Ar22 handguard question.

I am planning to get my new ruger 10/22 the Nordic AR22 3-piece stock kit. I'd like to know if I can just install free float handguards for the AR15 rifle.

Any suggestions too for a cheap but good free float handguard?

Thank you very much.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:09 PM
gcdavidson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, AR-15 FF HG will fit.

If you don't care about adding rails, the Hogue overmoulded one is nice. Ultimate arms also make metal tubular ones that fit the SR22 / Nordic.

If you want a quad rail HG, not that the top rail is not gonna line up height-wise with the top section of the Nordic kit.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:27 PM
valor1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thank you very much for enlightening me on this one. Any other suggestion for a free float handguard that aligns with Nordic's top rail is very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 09:43 AM
gcdavidson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At the risk of stating the obvious, the Ruger SR-22 HG with a top rail will fit.

Quite a few SR owners will swap out the factory HG, so you may be able to get one for a Nordic kit a lot cheaper than buying new. Top rails can be sourced through Amazon.

You could also try tap/thread a tubular metal HG to fit a top rail.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:10 PM
valor1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks very much gcdavidson. Appreciate the help.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:46 AM
photoracer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valor1 View Post
I am planning to get my new ruger 10/22 the Nordic AR22 3-piece stock kit. I'd like to know if I can just install free float handguards for the AR15 rifle.

Any suggestions too for a cheap but good free float handguard?

Thank you very much.
The Nordic at around $65 is as cheap as you can get on a decent one, if you want to add rails on it. I have used a couple of the Nordics on everything from a factory tactical stocked Rem 597, to an AR-22 to even S&W 15-22s. Later when I stopped using the rails I went with carbon fiber handguards. Either Taccom or the AP Custom non-railed flipped upside down so you could add the short rails on top.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:46 PM
valor1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Any ideas on what top rail I can use for the Nordic handguard? I want something that fits flush to the nordic receiver so I can get one long straight rail from the receiver to the end of the barrel handguard. It is in this link https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...232011&page=28. As shown on Tom E Gun's SR-22 build. Thanks
Old 01-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Tom E Gun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valor1 View Post
Any ideas on what top rail I can use for the Nordic handguard? I want something that fits flush to the nordic receiver so I can get one long straight rail from the receiver to the end of the barrel handguard. It is in this link https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...232011&page=28. As shown on Tom E Gun's SR-22 build. Thanks

That is a Dlask rail on my SR-22. Bear in mind, that rail only fits the SR-22 handguard and not the Nordic. I think Iron Eagle Tactical sells rails for Nordic handguards.

http://www.ironeagletactical.com/sto...=index&cPath=1

Cheers
TEG
Old 03-12-2015, 12:09 PM
valor1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Can this also do the same job?

http://www.diamondhead-usa.com/colle...de-bottom-rail

Is there really a big difference with the Nordic and SR-22 rails on the receiver?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:41 PM
gcdavidson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The reciever rails are identical on the Nordic and SR 22. What we're trying to tell you is that the Handguards are different between the SR 22 and Nordic, insofar as the holes that are tapped in them to attach the rails are spaced differently.

If you have a SR22 HG, make sure you get rails advertised for SR22, like the one you posted. They are more plentiful than rails made for the Nordic HG.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:17 PM
fiberguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The rail that ruger sells on their website can be modified to fit the nordic mid length handguard. The spacing between the screw holes matches but the position is a little off. It requires cutting off about a half inch from the back of the rail. That was the route I took when parts were hard to find. Here is a pic of mine finished.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:26 PM
valor1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thank you very much Fiberguy! Your reply is what I was hoping for. The one that you have in the picture is what I assume to be the midrail. I have the full length. More power to you.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Sqr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nordic vs Archangel 5.56

Just received my new Nordic Comp. receiver and found out some very interesting things. While disassembling my rifle and removing the Archangel stock I observed some similarities between the two brands of receivers. I began to experiment by switching out pieces between them and "low and behold" both are near identical in dimensions to each other. This allowed all of the pieces to mesh and seem to be compatible.

The Archangel top rail section mated flawlessly with the Nordic bottom and vise versa. Not only did the tops mate well so did the Archangel fore grip bolt up the Nordic receiver bottom. Even the Nordic aluminum fore grip section attach nicely to the Archangel polymer bottom. The only difference between the two is the Nordic rail is a tad higher in elevation compared to the Archangel component.

This opens up some very good cost saving ideas for individuals who do not want to use an Entire Nordic receiver but is interested in purchasing their fore section to add a screw on AR full Floating fore grip. Purchase the Nordic fore grip screw attachment and the ATI StrikeForce aluminum buffer thread adapter for $40, cut off the Archangel faux buffer tube and add your spare AR pieces to the rifle for a great trainer or plinker.

Last edited by Sqr; 03-23-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Dan88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any idea if the Archangel hand guard is shorter than the stock SR22? IE 7" vs. 9"? I have an SR22 that I installed an AR style barrel on my SR22 and don't want it covered up by the factory hand guard. I am considering either a Milspec free float, the Archargel or Dlask short hand guard.
Dlask makes a nice metal hand guard but it's been out of stock for sometime. Does anyone know of any other Canadian supplier that has a short SR22 hand guard?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Sqr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan88 View Post
Any idea if the Archangel hand guard is shorter than the stock SR22? IE 7" vs. 9"? I have an SR22 that I installed an AR style barrel on my SR22 and don't want it covered up by the factory hand guard. I am considering either a Milspec free float, the Archargel or Dlask short hand guard.
Dlask makes a nice metal hand guard but it's been out of stock for sometime. Does anyone know of any other Canadian supplier that has a short SR22 hand guard?
the Archangel is about 7" in length.