Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Chas100
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Replace DSP stock or change barrels ?

My Super Stock build on my DSP stock is very good and I'm getting excellent results more often than not. The one thing I have noticed since I've been using a Caldwell Rock as a front rest is the ever so slight movement from the small amount of recoil a 22LR has.

I have 2 builds that I've had Randy at CPC do full tune ups on. One of the builds I had Randy thread the muzzle end so I could add a muzzle brake. This one was added to an ATI stock with tech sights to give it an AR style look.

The other build was also sent to Randy for a full tuneup. I wanted to keep this one on the DSP as I love the stock. I didn't have the muzzle end threaded on this one. I have a 3-9X40 Nikon ProStaff RF scope on this one.

They both have Kidd charging assemblies and bolt buffers. The muzzle brake on the ATI is also Kidd. I do not notice a difference in weight in the two setups. I do notice that the ATI setup has no movement what so ever while the DSP tends to move around.

Any ideas if this is due to the stock difference or the muzzle brake added to the ATI setup ? They are both very good shooters but as of now I'm using Tech sights and have a non magnified red dot on the ATI. Would I be better off swapping the barrels and have the muzzle brake on the DSP or should I look for a different, more BR style stock ??

Thanks
Chas
Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
First of all if you DO put a brake on it get a cap for The threads because SuperStock has rules about muzzle brakes

I personally feel most of the moving around is NOT recoil. It is the bolt slamming back and forth in a rifle with a slippery stock.

Also some of those brakes out there can mess with the accuracy of the rifle. We learned about that right about the time we were forming SuperStock 8 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 08-18-2014, 05:29 AM
Chas100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NO threads on this barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
First of all if you DO put a brake on it get a cap for The threads because SuperStock has rules about muzzle brakes

I personally feel most of the moving around is NOT recoil. It is the bolt slamming back and forth in a rifle with a slippery stock.

Also some of those brakes out there can mess with the accuracy of the rifle. We learned about that right about the time we were forming SuperStock 8 years ago.
I don't have any threads on my DSP stock. I do have the barrel threaded on my ATI stock build. I will not change the barrels around then .

The threaded barrel on my ATI is pretty accurate. I have a red dot on it with no magnification so I've not tested it very much at longer distances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 09:25 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Threaded barrel is legal here just not with a suppressor or brake. I tried to open that rule up but was soundly out voted. Our SuperStock folks are very traditional Sporter kinds of guys and that is how I started the forum. It is YOUR rifle do what you think is best.

When I started SuperStock I told everyone that it was a small "d" democracy and all rule making would be done by vote. Even though I started it and am Moderator my vote means no more or no less than yours or any other member here.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:52 PM
JoeBobber
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
99% (72)
I think 99 percent of my superstocks are threaded, but just put a cap on the end if you shoot in the games.

I can't or I would. I don't know how, or where or when or anything. Distance? I don't even know how to prove it. I would like to shoot some targets. Is a gun rest legal in the games? Or is it holding the gun in what position you want. Sorry to steal part of your thread.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBobber View Post
I think 99 percent of my superstocks are threaded, but just put a cap on the end if you shoot in the games.

I can't or I would. I don't know how, or where or when or anything. Distance? I don't even know how to prove it. I would like to shoot some targets. Is a gun rest legal in the games? Or is it holding the gun in what position you want. Sorry to steal part of your thread.
Joe look in the stickies. The games are there and the rules are right there. Of course you can use a rest on all or almost all of the games. This forum is spelled SuperStock......

Old 08-19-2014, 05:27 AM
Chas100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My DSP stock build does not have a threaded muzzle on it. Sometime next week I'm going to try and get to the range and try out some of the games that are available.

Do I use my own targets or do I need to print out targets that are a available on the target thread ??

Thanks
Chas

Last edited by Vincent; 08-19-2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Moderator screw up.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Each "Game" has rules made by the person that started it so each has little different like Ricochet's 13mm Funshoot. He wanted a 50 yard 1/2 game but do not want to copy Sawdust's 25 yard 1/4 Inch Club. I suggested to him the 13 mm is .511" and actually closer to one MOA than .500" is. He also liked to save ammo so he made his 4 shot groups. I normally shoot 5 shot groups anyway and that is okay but it has to be at least 4 shot groups. So you see each one is a little different.

The only extra equipment you need is a caliper. I like the digital ones that are 4" instead of 6 inch like most. The 4" are handier for most gun type stuff. I have two 6" Dial calipers left over from my profession in Q.C, and as an engine builder for racing karts and VW Bug engines. I keep one in my range stuff and one is sitting right in front of me as I type this.

The 4" digitals are only about $15 from Harbor Freight and come with the traceability documents that prove they are accurate. I have had mine for 9 years so they have been better for me than dial calipers that are easy to mess up if you get clumsy like me.