Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Chas100
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Going Superstock

I'm going to start working on a Superstock. I was referred here by Ron 1738. Thanks Ron great info and it will give me yet another excuse to add to my 10/22 collection.

This 10/22 already has a good start. It's a Sporter model. It's had a full tune up from Randy at CPC. The trigger is set at 2.4 # pull. It has a Kidd charging assembly. I also have a set of Williams fire sites that I've not put on yet as I just finished my AR build.

It shoots great at 25 to 50 yards but I don't have the MOA off the top of my head as it's been a while since this one has been to the range but it's a great shooter now and I'm hoping the fire sites will help along with some good ammo.

I'm keeping this one on the Sporter stock for sure. Is there anything else that anyone would suggest. I've been wanting to bed it but I've never done that and I'd hate to mess up the stock. I already had a thread that the good DR gave advice to me but I'm still Leary of trying it.

Any other suggestions on what to do with it to get it comparable to some of the fine looking SS rifles here would be great. Also any advice on what targets to print for scores at the range would be appreciated.

Looking forward to the SS build and participating in scoring. Thanks Vincent for running this thread

Chas
Old 05-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have a somewhat more simple Bedding tutorial in the "Stickies" for SuperStock. In fact there are a couple. Also if it REALLY bothers you to try it there is a tutorial on just bedding with aluminum tape that will do 90% of what a good bedding job will do.

Sounds like you have a great start on the rifle already.

By the way

MOA is:

1.0471996" at 100 yards

.5235998" at 50 yards

.2617999" at 25 yards

For ease of use we usually round those off to 1" @ 100, 1/2 @ 50 and 1/4" @ 25

By the way:

Welcome to SuperStock!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 05-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Chas100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
I have a somewhat more simple Bedding tutorial in the "Stickies" for SuperStock. In fact there are a couple. Also if it REALLY bothers you to try it there is a tutorial on just bedding with aluminum tape that will do 90% of what a good bedding job will do.

Sounds like you have a great start on the rifle already.

By the way

MOA is:

1.0471996" at 100 yards

.5235998" at 50 yards

.2617999" at 25 yards

For ease of use we usually round those off to 1" @ 100, 1/2 @ 50 and 1/4" @ 25

By the way:

Welcome to SuperStock!!

Thank you for the kind welcome

Yes I'm kind of Leary OK VERY LEARY of winding up with a 1 piece 10/22
I did see your info on the aluminum tape bedding (I've been lurking here for a while) and I'll probably give that a try first. I did purchase some Devcon about 8 months ago but haven't attempted it yet. I did add a pillar to the takedown of a beater stock and it came out well.

I have a week vacation this coming week and the weather looks like it's here to stay in NE Ohio (although you NEVER KNOW) and I hope to get to the range.

Thanks for the info on MOA and I hope to get something posted soon !!
Chas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 11:58 PM
roothog
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
to SuperStock, Chas!!!!! RH
Old 05-22-2014, 05:56 AM
Chas100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roothog View Post
to SuperStock, Chas!!!!! RH
Thank you !!

Looking forward to getting to the range !!

Chas
Old 05-22-2014, 09:54 PM
roothog

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Checkout some of the SS games.... I bet you'll find one to '' tickle your fancy''. RH
Old 05-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Chas100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Checkout some of the SS games.... I bet you'll find one to '' tickle your fancy''. RH
I'm on vacation all next week. I'm hoping to deplete some of my 22LR stash . I've picked up some SK std +, Eley club and Norma the last month and I'm looking forward to seeing how it runs in my 10/22's. I also put a set of Tech sights #200 on one so most of tomorrow (hopefully) will be sighting it in.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Chas100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fire sights added to SS

I replaced my OE sights today on my SS build with the Williams fire sights I purchased 3-4 months ago. This build had a full tune up from CPC. The barrel was set back. This caused the rear sight on the fire sights to not clear the front edge of the receiver. The rear sights do not fit flush along the barrel. It only catches about 1/8 inch of the back of the sight but it rests on the top of the receiver.

I'm not sure that this will be a problem as I get a great sight picture. Any thought on this ? Should I just leave it as is and see what type of accuracy I get ? I'm also not sure about adjustments as to if I will be able to adjust it if necessary.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:20 PM
roothog

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I would try it and see first, before I got too excited about it I would say, however, it would be nice if the sight would adjust up off of the receiver. Touching the receiver could cause the sight to move slightly because of movement between the receiver and barrel. Not supposed to happen in a perfect world, but..... RH
Old 05-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Chas100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I would try it and see first, before I got too excited about it I would say, however, it would be nice if the sight would adjust up off of the receiver. Touching the receiver could cause the sight to move slightly because of movement between the receiver and barrel. Not supposed to happen in a perfect world, but..... RH
I think it will still adjust but it doesn't have a very stable base with the gap between the sight and the barrel. It is pretty secure though with the edge of the sight riding on the front of the receiver. Hopefully I have time tomorrow (Memorial Day) before the cookouts the give it a test.

If it doesn't work out I could try to remove some of the rear of the Firesight to try and get it to clear or I could get a different rear sight.

I had CPC do this barrel last year and I didn't think about the shortening of it until I had the OE rear sight removed and the Williams installed.

Thanks
Chas
Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Chas100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Optics added

I've added a Nikon ProStaff 3-9X40 Rimfire BDC optic to my SS build. It's my 1st magnified scope I've ever owned. I do have a Vortex Strikefire Red dot system on my AR that has a 2X mag but I never use the magnification for it.

I'm still getting used to using the scope. I'm getting pretty consistent 1/4 - 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. I've been very busy with work since I picked it up 3 weeks ago and I've only been to the range 2 times with very little time available when at the range. The times I've been there I've spent more time getting it sighted in than anything else. PICS next time out for sure.

DSP Sporter
CPC Barrel Setback and crown
CPC Trigger job
CPC bolt rework and jeweled
Kidd cocking assembly
Kidd auto bolt release
Kidd bolt buffer
Williams fire sights
Nikon ProStaff 3-9X40

I'm also looking at getting a BR setup to use. I'm currently using Caldwell bags, front and rear.

Anything Else needed ??? I'm sure there are PLENTY MORE WAYS to loosen up the wallet !! Any ideas especially on the BR setup would be great. It's ALL on me now

Thanks for all the info
Chas
Old 07-20-2014, 09:25 PM
Chas100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I'll definitely be checking them out. Once we get into mid August I'm hoping work will loosen up some.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
What you may or may not need often depends on how it is shooting. If you are getting that kind of accuracy you may not need anything!!

Do you have a barrel support in the forearm or are you using the one built into the tip of of the DSP?

What torque are you using on the take down Screw?

We NEED PICTURES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 07-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Chas100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
What you may or may not need often depends on how it is shooting. If you are getting that kind of accuracy you may not need anything!!

Do you have a barrel support in the forearm or are you using the one built into the tip of of the DSP?

What torque are you using on the take down Screw?

We NEED PICTURES
Right now I'm just using Caldwell bags front and rear. It's pretty accurate but still has some movement. I was thinking of getting a lead sled. Does it have a vise to tighten to keep the forend tight ?

I have a few pics I'll try and post in a bit when I'm on my iPad.

Thanks for all the great info. I love this 10/22. I have another almost as accurate that also had a full CPC tuneup. This one is on an ATI strikeforce stock. Very good troops at 25 yds with a red dot. Ragged hole groups.

Thanks again
Chas
Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Chas100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a PIC of my DSP.

Current Attachments (44.2 KB)
image.jpg (44.2 KB)

Last edited by Chas100; 08-16-2014 at 04:55 PM.